Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2011, 12:11   #91

Re: Too Late To Start ?

Eleven and David, thanks for the encouragement, and I agree!

Bruce, which port are you in? That's just what I need, I'll even buy a bigger boat!

Since you're older, that gives me 6 more years for the experience to get there, guess they will 33 year olds then too.

Before this GF, I had one in the states that was 34, 3 years ago, for a couple years and she had to leave the state due to family situations. We got along very well, except that if I said something about the 60s or 70s or 80s she didn't have a clue! I also had to ask her to turn the music down, if that's what it was.....

I'm thinking now that a smaller boat for my bucket list trip (Great Loop) might be better and after surviving that, make the decision about getting a suitable boat for a liveaboard and do more cruising. While a small trailer boat converted to a poor man's trawler would get me on the way, I'd be out there doing instead of looking for a larger boat or a Prout (lol) in Missouri, not many here and it's kinda hard to go to the gulf just to look at boats.

I'm wanting a shoal draft, a cat would be great, to go on rivers and the ICW, no real off shore travel at first. Actually, there are some cats I think I could build, but I'm sure I can buy more boat than I can build. Get an old sailboat and toss an outboard on it! That's probably the plan....but I'd sure like to build one and I do have a year to do one.

A Prout, I love those things, my target boat is a 32 Gemini, but anything like that would be great...and $$$$$!

Old 24-08-2011, 13:02   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I bought a geminii 30 for under 70, and that was 15 years ago. You can find some good deals, especially now with this market. Loved the boat. A sweet old trawler is still the bomb.
E

Old 24-08-2011, 14:02   #93

Hey WW,
I have read this entire thread as I am in the same "boat" as you. . . . on my way to be a live aboard with 2 of my kids. This is my first post on this thread let alone the forum. I am very interested to watch your progress. I am located in Utah, so having a seafaring community to be involved with is impossible with out forums like this one. I am making the methodical steps to make this happen as I am sure you are. I hate to redirect the thread at this point but I just gotta know . . . when are you pulling anchor on this adventure and hitting the seas/ rivers?
Old 24-08-2011, 14:36   #94

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 41

It's never too late!!! The Captain is 78 and I'm 57. We bought a sailboat last December and the plan is sail south January 2013, with intentions of enjoying many island stops along the way and then making Grenada 'home'. Who knows what we'll decide once we're in Grenada a while?
Old 24-08-2011, 16:28   #95

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Check out this thread:
Confess Now: How Many Here Are Above the Double Nickels ?
Old 24-08-2011, 18:34   #96

Ocean Girl, there is an old cat on Ebay I considered, needs work, but I doubt there and the I buy a boat off Ebay 1000+ miles away, with my luck I'd get there and I'd push the soft spots in with my finger!

I'd really like a Trawler, but they won't get in where I'd like to go.....I'm afraid I need a boat that isn't made and will have to make it. I do like Bolger's Tenn, simple but still a big project. I can buy cheaper than building!

Steezypops, hang on and we'll get through this. Not being where the boats are is a problem finding the right one. I have given myself one year to get my stuff together, sell junk, maybe a house, cars and learn the ropes. I know enough now to be classified as a water hazard I'm sure in the ICW, having been on Missouri lakes. In that time I need to find something and modify or prepare it and myself. My kids are grown and gone, if you're my age, .....wow!

I'm off to read about old pharts now over the double nickle....do they have Senior Only Marinas? (LOL, heck, I don't want that I want to watch the gals clean the boats!)
Old 24-08-2011, 18:43   #97

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I know there is work. (Reminds me of what Gilligan would say- W O R K !)
OK. First, you're dating yourself. That was Maynard G. Krebs from Dobie Gillis. Same actor, different decade. And I only know that because I'm a year shy of your age. (I would utter the "S" word, but when I try, my throat closes up and I start to faint). I have some thoughts for you.

I have found that the secret to happiness at fifty (freakin') nine is complete and utter DENIAL. I don't even think about taking my 36' Catalina out alone. Sure, my shoulder aches sometimes, but that's why God made ice & Advil. I also ride motorcycles. I figure that whatever happens to me, I won't have to live with it THAT long.

Someone mentioned the Great Loop cruise. My 64 year old sister and I are giving some thought to doing that when I retire in a few years. I'm in the middle of reading a great book that you would enjoy called, "Honey, Let's Get A Boat" (available at Amazon). It's about a couple who are our age that buy a 40 ft trawler in Florida and do the Great Loop. It's very entertaining and would give you a good idea of what's involved as they were complete boat novices themselves.

The other book I would suggest is "Call of the Ancient Mariner" by Reese Palley. I enjoy his writing style and this book talks about sailing WELL into your Golden Years and adjustments you can make to make sailing easier and more enjoyable as the inevitable limitations start to creep in.

Since my 90 year old mother died last November and my sister made the comment, "Guess WE'RE the old ones now", I've been giving a lot of thought to how I want to spend the rest of my years. Haven't come up up with a concrete plan yet as I'm still working and my kid's still in college, but I know it will involve a boat somewhere.

I guess in the end, it's "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'".

Good Luck, Mike
Old 24-08-2011, 19:09   #98

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"Bruce, which port are you in?" ==> I am in Tombobo Bay which is on southern Negros. I had my catamaran built here so I wouldn't have to sail across the Pacific (and it is less expensive although slow to build and there are some challenges getting boat stuff).

"guess they will 33 year olds then too" ==> I just bought an AirLine hooka from a retired American plumber who sold his boat. He is in his early 70s and his gf is twenty (they have been together two years). Culture, language, and gender issues seem to be more important than age issues here.

I was eventually offered (long story) a 35' catamaran for $27,500 - but it needed a refit and had no bridgedeck cabin (and I had already started construction on a new boat) so there are deals around. While I was negotiating for my catamaran, a German retired yacht broker bought a steel (30+ - 40') hull mono that had been cruised to the Philippines by a French couple who wanted/needed to go back to France. He said he got a good deal on a fitted out boat for his second home here (he has a home in Athens and a catamaran in the Mediterranean) - but he clearly knew what he was doing.
Old 24-08-2011, 20:26   #99

Bruce, I know there are killer deals out there and there will be some more too. Knowing the market is key, being around the market is a big advantage. Where I am I can probably find a great deal on a bass boat! If I mention catamaran in a bar in my town they think I'm talking about a BassCat!

Sailing Partner, so, there is a cougar on board...LOL, I'm one to talk....
have a great time, I'd like to be there as well!

Mike, thanks for the tip, I'm reading all I can find on the Loop and I'll check it out.

Actually, I'm in pretty good shape (don't tell the GF, she brings my dinner to me) and I'm thinking of trying a smaller boat than originally thought, not the money difference, but more of a challenge maybe....or maybe I should get on the list to kayak down the Colorado, I'd do that.

Steezypops, hereinafter "SP", what I am finding the hardest thing to do is to identify really what your requirements are. It's pretty easy to say I want a 40 footer, ketch rig trawler, but not having been on one I try to see myself running to grab a lost line or reefing the main and I just can't picture that. I can picture pushing a throttle forward sitting on my skinny butt. Then try to imagine it being 105 degrees in the shade under a tree along some blackish river with gators, you can't swim there and you just ran out of ice and beer! Then I think of running along the gulf at 15 or 20 knots on a cool evening and pulling up to a beach for the evening. So which is it? I know there will be the bad with the good, that's part of life and what makes life an experience. In other ways (sports or Army) I've been there done that too, not sure I need some more of the rough'n it stuff anymore. Identifying really what I want to do and how to do it seems to be a mental block. Knowing that I can then define the requirements for a boat, seems it's the first hump to get over and then things will fall in place. Any suggestions?
Old 24-08-2011, 21:45   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are thinking multihull, older homebuilt trimarans show up relatively cheaply and often. The are usually plywood sheathed in fiberglass. This is a viable construction method as long as the FRP layup stays adhered to the plywood and no water gets in any voids. Some of these boats are abandoned just because they aren't loved so available free or for storage costs. One around 35', that looked to be in decent condition, was broken up in Hilo last year. It had been sailed from the mainland and the crew/owner just walked away. The old Pivers aren't the best designs but the Brown Searunners are pretty decent boats. Anchoring out is encouraged as the beam usually makes slips quite expensive and not always available.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:26   #101

Thanks Roverhi, I know you are right that there are some really cheap boats that need work. I'm not a mechanic, have a high mechanical apptitude and pretty creative, but the last time I was in an engine was about 40 years ago in a Bug-eye Sprite. Decent carpentry skills but really not a finish carpenter. Filler and paint covers a multitude of sins.

In the classifieds I found a motorsailor just listed at 8K and if I were up in that area I'd probably fight to buy it, but I'm not. Draft of less than 4', that would work but really, it would be plowing up catfish and bottom feeders on the White River and don't know about beaching....it's steel and a tough boat I'm sure. Another lost opportunity.

It's not that I'm not willing to travel to look at a boat, I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars doing it. I have bought houses sight unseen based off an appraisal, so I'm not chicken, but I know the appraiser and I know the market, I can use the term "expert" without leaving town. I have purchased cars and motorcycles off ebay and all worked out fine, but I can blow up pics and really see what is there. I can't do that with a boat sitting in the water, or see the soft spots in a hull, totally different.

Not to make this too long, but I bought a John Deer lawn tractor for a large yard I acquired. I looked a six off Craigs List. 5 lied about what they had and the last guy did too, but I could fix it and I bought it. I can't go from Missouri to New England to look at a boat only to find that someone lied and the trip was for nothing. I probably can't afford to pay for surveys on every boat that appears to trip my trigger only to find that there is too much wrong with it.

I'm afraid that what will be necessary is to put cash in my pocket and take a trip, say to the gulf, and buy what I find and pull it back with my F-150. Not the ideal way to buy a boat under pressure to find something.

For those of us in such a boat, being landlocked in bass boat country, the only salvation would be to find people on a site like this that can advise you of a particular boat and make recommendations, maybe where they know of a boat moored next to them and the owner has not yet listed it. Or similar situations.

The other is to build a boat and spend much more doing it and having something that most likely would not be worth what was put into it. That means it really has to be the right boat and wear it out in the next 20 years.

And as to the older side, I basically retired 8 years ago and really got lazy, doing this will start my engine again. I sure don't need a money pit with alot of maintenance. I took a big hit in the market so my funds need to be used wisely now as I can't really start another company now and do it all over again.

Sorry it's sooooo long, I'm sure others are in similar situations too.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:41   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
In the classifieds I found a motorsailor just listed at 8K and if I were up in that area I'd probably fight to buy it, but I'm not. Draft of less than 4', that would work but really, it would be plowing up catfish and bottom feeders on the White River and don't know about beaching....it's steel and a tough boat I'm sure. Another lost opportunity.
I'm in the same situation, too many boats to look at over too big a distance. To fix that problem I have decided that I would not even LOOK at boats for sale untill I am within two weeks of departure, in otherwords 4 weeks from NOW!!!. Then I will only look at boats that are along my designated route, Texas coast, Eastern Gulf, Florida, and on up the east coast. If I find one I really like, and it passes my (inexperienced) survey, then I will pull the stops and call in a surveyor.

I have had my mind set on too many before that have been sold (A sweet center cabin Dutch built boat in Lake Erie comes to mind) so I don't want to go through that again. (Here's a link to a nice 36' steel sloop you might like to look at 2000 Bruce Roberts Spray 36 sailboat for sale in Texas)
Old 27-08-2011, 05:48   #103

Nice find Don, I really like Robert's designs and that was looks great, the interior is nicely done. The 12' beam makes a great liveabord, but hard for me to pull with that F-150. Initially, I think I need to be on the water awhile, then kae a longer term decision, at least that's the initial plan...Galveston is probably the easiest for me to get tobut it's a possibility.

Irene is a good example as to why I ask if it was too late to start. Fighting mother nature takes strength and endurance. I realize that you try to out run them, but not always possible and if you're caught in smaller storms it's still a fight. I was in a hurricane, outside in a hurricane rescuing some people and running them to safety, the rain felt like bee stings. I was nearly hit by a stop light passing by. I'm not looking for such opportunities again! In such situations, age has wisdom to keep one safer, but youth is an asset as well.
Old 27-08-2011, 08:52   #104

As John Kay said:"It's never too late to start all over again."

Life is always going to throw challenges at you. In the past week the north east has had Hurricanes and earthquakes (Revelations is upon us!). The only thing you know for sure is Something is going to kill you. You take your pick, lay in bed for a year or two while a brain tumor eats you up and say "I should'a" ten years from now, or fight for your life on a 30' cork in an ocean of wind, rain, cold, and wet. I know that I might not be able to fight a summer shower let alone a hurricane, but if I have to I'll give it my best.
And if when I win I'll shake my fist at the sky and scream "Is that all you got?" (Last part I robbed from Capt'n Dan).
Old 27-08-2011, 20:21   #105

Totally agree Don, there are lots of ways to check out, I doubt a bed will be the way I do it! BTW, Don, have you been in SW Missouri?

I think the plan is going together, but it keeps going to a smaller more simplified vessel that will lack many amenities. I think I'm trying to tie too much into one boat. A good liveaboard doesn't seem to make a great river/shallows boat or the other way around. As I mentioned a cat was the boat of choice for a long time but the initial expenses can be huge. A 32 foot Bolger sharpie fitted out as a river cruiser is also at the top of the list, a Tenn, or Wyoming. They all have the min. draft required.

I also want my boat to be insulated for cold weather use. And AC in the summer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: