Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-08-2011, 13:10   #76

Boat: Marine Trader 47
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
How about a bluetooth enabled device that when you go out of range or press a panic button:
1. Kills your engine
2. Uses autopilot and wind data to turn your boat into the wind.

This could be connected in your PDF so when it inflates it activates. It could be overridden by other crew on board.
Has another advantage that if you take it with you the engine can't be started without the override code. (You know, the code you post next to the start button.)

Old 09-08-2011, 18:32   #77

Don, how'd you get so smart? That's a great idea,posting the code next to the start button so ya don't forget it. And I'm still hiding the key in the bottom of a cup holder!

What happens if you lose that thing in a bar full of pirates and forget your number and can't call it to find it?

Age does funny things to you ya know....

Old 09-08-2011, 23:12   #78

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Don, how'd you get so smart? That's a great idea,posting the code next to the start button so ya don't forget it. And I'm still hiding the key in the bottom of a cup holder!

What happens if you lose that thing in a bar full of pirates and forget your number and can't call it to find it?

Age does funny things to you ya know....
Got the idea from my laptop where I post all my passwords.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:27   #79

Well, Great idea, I'll hide my passwords under my laptop!

I have decided to look for the perfect boat and spend one year getting my affairs and boat in order. I have alot to do. Then, I will put in east of me on the Mississippi and try it with my GF. Another year of planning, learning and staying somewhat close to Mo. just in case my GF decides she needs to get off. If I decide to keep going myself or as a pair, then I may sell some real estate but not my primary home and take off. So that's two years, but I may or could move quicker than that, but it will be at least a year off. I'm not getting any younger ya know!

Meeting the unknown is what it's all about, but there is no need to suffer. Now, the problem is finding the perfect boat, which begins with finding a very inexpensive boat, not too big and not too small.

I think I'd rather be on the hook rather than in a marina, but we will see. No committments will be my first rule, might even name the boat that! (That name is probably taken)

As I said, now that you all have advised and talked me into this, I'll be holding all of you fully responsible! (LOL) Thanks for your input and now for the perfect cheap boat.

I have also decided that while I would like to sail, the motor will be my primary means to get there. I don't want a sail rig that can't be single handed or easily steped. A small engine, less than 25hp, 10hp would be better. Any ideas?
Old 23-08-2011, 07:49   #80

Just a thought... you should investigate BoatUS unlimited towing insurance before you set sail. I had the insurance and used it last year bringing my sailboat from Rock Hall, MD to Melbourne, FL last year. A broken freshwater pump on my yanmar30 required a 35 mile tow from teakettle creek to Jekyl Island; a $1500 tow bill completely paid for by BoatUS. I'm 67 but plan to keep sailing/motoring.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:50   #81
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, Great idea, I'll hide my passwords under my laptop!
Too much risk of losing 'em there. I recommend you just write them in permanent ink on the bit under the keyboard...

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 08:21   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Just a thought... you should investigate BoatUS unlimited towing insurance before you set sail. I had the insurance and used it last year bringing my sailboat from Rock Hall, MD to Melbourne, FL last year. A broken freshwater pump on my yanmar30 required a 35 mile tow from teakettle creek to Jekyl Island; a $1500 tow bill completely paid for by BoatUS. I'm 67 but plan to keep sailing/motoring.
Very good suggestion and I will definately look into that! AAA on the water! Thanks for the tip!

Just as edited, so I guess that means that if I get a cheap boat, older boat, that will be seen as less reliable and therefore a higher premium for such services?
Old 23-08-2011, 10:11   #83

Nope. Towing premium is the same. My boat ain't a pricey boat either.
Old 24-08-2011, 05:27   #84

Saucy, that's even better! I wouldn't have to turn it over each time. I should remember it since it's the street I live on!

Good news Seaduction, about the premium not being by the foot, that almost doesn't make sence.

Seems like an old Columbia, or C&C at 26 to 30 foot is about as big as I can get that is still trailerable, without permits, I'm sure there are many others but getting over 30' seems they get too beamy.
Old 24-08-2011, 06:08   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Seems like an old Columbia, or C&C at 26 to 30 foot is about as big as I can get that is still trailerable, without permits, I'm sure there are many others but getting over 30' seems they get too beamy.
The trouble with trailerable boats is not their beam, but their weight. This is why the new ones have water ballast and other means to dampen down skittish behaviour. Nevertheless, it does mean that a trailerable boat will normally be a poor selection as a liveaboard since it will rock and roll at the slightest ripple.
Old 24-08-2011, 08:09   #86

Talbot, good point, I wonder if a small cat would be any better? Reminds me I saw a cuddycabin motorboat with pipe clamped on both sides on the Mississippi along the bank, some guys camp.....don't want to go there.

I'm hoping for something different than a McGreggor, kinda tight in there....
Old 24-08-2011, 08:32   #87

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Same age as when I started. Look at the older Prout's. Price is right, accommodation is good, and they'll look after you without costing a bomb. The wife will like it too, if she's OK at sea, specially for long weekends and so on.
Send her off to navigation courses and get her hooked that way. You know it all already, you're a bloke! And she'll be happy to tell you where you're going wrong, in fact she'll have to come with you, just to keep you safe.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:28   #88
Armchair Bucketeer

Pace yourself - and even without perfect health enjoy what you've got and base your life around not simply what you can do, but what you actually enjoy (enjoyment tends to go before all capacity gets lost).....and if that is farting around locally or between a few regular cruising areas rather than going around Cape Horn then that's what you do

Health is a strange thing - can move from indestructible, to a basket case, to dead in very short order. Whether 35, 65 or 85. Sometimes missing out the bit in the middle..........
Old 24-08-2011, 10:59   #89

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

I am starting at 66 - of course my gf is only 33 so that helps. Since I am cruising in a third world country (Philippines) where labor is cheap, I have told my gf that she can have three 'maids'/boat girls to help out. The generous salary will be around $30/month (plus room & board as they will be living aboard). I expect to hot bunk them in the rear port hull double berth - so someone will always be awake and aboard for security. They will not be bow bunnies though, as my gf is the one hiring them and she is selecting for strength. We will be mainly daytime coastal cruising so long passages are not expected. Even if the girls are from fishing families, they will never have lived on a boat - but rural life in small villages is still fairly primitive here and they are already used to living without luxuries in small spaces. It will be interesting to see how well it works out.
Old 24-08-2011, 11:49   #90

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

I think I'm jealous, Bruce. If things work out I will be anyway.
You only live once, but that doesn't mean you can only have one life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: