Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 15:36   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
............I'm thinking of that old song (can't remeber the name or who did it) saying "get out the back Jack, make a new plan Stan, you don't need a Decoy Roy, just get yourself free" It's not as simplistic as that, but that's the attitude...............
'bit of Paul Simon's "Fifty ways to leave your lover", but they could be fifty ways to go cruising! p.s.- I thought Roy didn't need to be coy!
Old 06-08-2011, 15:50   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sounds like you need a trawler. A sailboat under 40' just isn't goingto meet your needs for air conditioning etc. Your skills will do well for you in whatever you buy cause all boats require repairs, no matter how new. Having to pay a professional to do them is a budget buster.

There are quite a few Taiwan built trawlers from 33' to 38' available on the west coast at pretty good prices. Don't know what the availability is like closer to your home. Most have single engine Ford diesel power. These should be very economical boats to operate. You could actually deliver it on it's own bottom to the East Coast and have a wonderful time doing it. These look to be slow and steady copies of the the Grand Banks/ Ed Monk type capable of doing about 175-200nm a day burning minimal fuel. The Ford Leyman diesels from England are older truck/industrial engine designs that are reliable and simple to work on. Parts should be easily available as they were used in a lot of equipment though not very common in the US.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/2523285166.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2532553328.html

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Pa'akai O'o, Pearson 35 #108
Too many Landrovers, some even run.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
'bit of Paul Simon's "Fifty ways to leave your lover", but they could be fifty ways to go cruising! p.s.- I thought Roy didn't need to be coy!
LOL, yes it was Paul Simon, should know that. I'm not sure, coy or decoy to run out the back, I always heard decoy, but I'm deaf too!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sounds like you need a trawler. A sailboat under 40' just isn't goingto meet your needs for air conditioning etc. Your skills will do well for you in whatever you buy cause all boats require repairs, no matter how new. Having to pay a professional to do them is a budget buster.

There are quite a few Taiwan built trawlers from 33' to 38' available on the west coast at pretty good prices. Don't know what the availability is like closer to your home. Most have single engine Ford diesel power. These should be very economical boats to operate. You could actually deliver it on it's own bottom to the East Coast and have a wonderful time doing it. These look to be slow and steady copies of the the Grand Banks/ Ed Monk type capable of doing about 175-200nm a day burning minimal fuel. The Ford Leyman diesels from England are older truck/industrial engine designs that are reliable and simple to work on. Parts should be easily available as they were used in a lot of equipment though not very common in the US.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/2523285166.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2532553328.html

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Pa'akai O'o, Pearson 35 #108
Too many Landrovers, some even run.
Hmmm, nice, I like those and could live on those easily! As to cruising, I guess I can manage either one without taking out more than a half dozen docks, but I'm sure I'd get the hang of it!

I also found a Carri-Craft at Lake Mead for only 25K, I really like those I'd move in to a Carri-Craft in a second! No sails, but I think it's the biggest boat for the length I've ever seen with a shallow draft for the river cruising. But I don't want to be stuck on Lake Mead (no offense anyone).
Old 06-08-2011, 16:31   #50

Boat: land lubber

Get rid of a few things and you can put $150 a month towards sailing classes. Trust me, it feels much nicer. We've moved a lot and once we realized that some boxes hadn't been opened in a few moves it was time to get rid of whatever was in there.

I heard about someone else building a boat. The downer was by the time it was ready they weren't. Hence my advice to get on the water now and figure out what you really want. I'm not a lot younger than you are, by the way, and I'd rather buy than build. Though it sounds like you're "handier" than I.

Leam
Leam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:42   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
LOL, yes it was Paul Simon, should know that. I'm not sure, coy or decoy to run out the back, I always heard decoy, but I'm deaf too!
Wavewacker, you're likely right,- I always thought Jimmi Hendrix was saying, "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy!".......and then someone told me it was "the sky!",- but this is drifting off the thread topic.....it's not too late!
Old 06-08-2011, 19:11   #52

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

Wavewacker, I really believe age is relative. I have a friend who is 81 and regularly sails his catboat here in New York. He also does a lot of the work on it and I've personally witnessed him climbing the mast! He hunts and fishes and hikes and even cross-country skis. On the other hand, I know people in their 50's who are in very poor condition. I myself am 50 and feel great. So age is really an irrelevant issue here. It's your individual health that matters. But keep in mind that sailing is not that difficult or taxing a sport. Under severe circumstances such as sailing in heavy weather, it can be. But I see no reason why you and your wife can't handle sailing a boat for many years to come, as long as you use caution and common sense as your guidelines. In fact, it will undoubtedly help you both physically, mentally and emotionally! Sailing is a great sport for everyone. I say go for it!

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 19:26   #53

Boat: Columbia 41

I am 60 and moved onto my columbia 41 two years ago. I think that would be a good first step for you. Buy a boat and find a marina that accepts live aboards. You will get used to the constant motion on a boat and the more confined interior spaces. Of course, the large exterior spaces will make up for it. Living aboard in a marina will also give you time to learn all the boat's systems including installation, maintenance and repair. The physical issues you mention should not be that much of a problem if you do not have issues needing air conditioning or refrigeration. For example, I understand that insulin requires refrigeration. In short, go for it. What you lack in brute physical strength you make up for in wisdom.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 19:31   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Good going, Wavewacker! The one sure thing is that we're all gonna die. What is not sure, though, is that everyone who is born, actually lives. I don't ever feel as alive as I do when on the 4 am to 8 am watch!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47   #55

I remember very well staying at a camp ground at the lake when I was 14. My folks had a camping equipment business and we had a demonstrator tent trailer with striped canvas. I stayed there alone (I thought, until I later realized that the owners of a small grocery store and the owners of the cafe on the dock were watching me). I was a competitive swimmer, nationally ranked cyclist and runner (before triathlons were popular), football and wrestling, a jock. I have a very competitive attitude and my military background can backup anything I set my mind to. So, what I'm saying is that it's not all about attitude or being "able" to do. there is what we might call "age management". Setting priorities in life that will lead one to select the most rewarding endeavors. At 14, I had no concept of time, at 60 I know I could drop dead any day (by accident, not any health issue) or I can assume that I have 20 or so years left. At 14, I didn't understand what 20 years was, now I do. While I have no intention of mapping out the next 20 years, I may have choices for the next 5 years as they are more of a concern for the investment of my time. As with any asset, the less you have of it the more valuable it is to the owner. It's the old "opportunity cost" issue.

From that standpoint, sailing the seven seas and seeing the world (I've already seen more than most) is a very high priority, living in a confined space at a dock, being hot and cold, sacrificing the amenities of a house and being stranded on land doesn't sound too exciting. Sailing the seven seas is probably out of the question due to the lack of skills and the financial commitment required. Cruising the great rivers and along the coast seems to me to be a challenge yet much safer at any skill level I might acquire in the next 5 years. Living on the hook is more difficult in many ways than being at a dock. I would rather suffer the darwbacks of watching for gators than hearing gensets run all night or drunken fishermen come in a 2 in the morning and others taking off later at 4:30 or having kids running around on the docks at 8 am. While there are nice docks with rules, even gated, they cost more I understand and they will still have these issues.

Many here are about my age and older and those younger have tales of old sailors, but how many strated at 60? I haven't heard from you yet. I feel 30 most of the time, act like I'm 45 with the wisdom of an older man. While the three of us usually agree, the older guy has a point.

I didn't sell my business for enough 10 years ago! I got more than it was worth, but it also put me in a retirement mode that I didn't fully or accurately consider. I assumed I could always continue free lancing and consulting, not really so for various reasons and events in my industry. So, I'm looking at a "fixed income" of less than I expected. I have assets, if I sell them to finance my venture I will, more than likely, lose money if I sell the boat and not be in a position to recoup the funds expended. So, doing this venture on the cheap (initially) is the best option I believe. Minimize expected losses. I could sell my second home or rent it, to finance a boat, but I would lose that property that is free of debt. Age matters in a practicle and financial sence.

Leam, I think I'm all for scaling down. I will be selling a Sea Ray jet boat I had at the lake (probably should have not mentioned that here, LOL). My little boats aren't worth enough to sell, inflatables and a canoe and kayak. Everytime I think about selling my motorcycles it hurts. If I really can't get my dual sport on my boat, I may sell that, but my cruiser is a holy thing. I'd love to have a garage sale, last time I counted I had over a hundred shirts, no one needs a hundred shirts!

Sam and Stratorsailor, I don't have any medical issues, a little short of breath from smoking, but I have a new box of gum to solve that, just need to get my attitude adjusted. My GF has hip/leg issues, arthritis is one the way, but she is otherwise healthy too. Three years ago I had to show my 39 year old GF the door and took this one later, talk about culture shock....but that's the price for maturity I guess.

Any real achievement requires a sacrifice!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05   #56

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Hi, I have had the dream for many years and for one reason or another I could never get away. I'm now 60 (can't believe I said that) and retired with a budget. I have boating and some basic sailing experienced and my GF says she hasn't been on a boat for 40 years but is interested in sailing away.
I'm 63, getting ready to buy a boat as soon as the house sells. If I never leave the dock it's better than what I'm doing now.

"It's never too late to start all over again" (John Kay)

Tomorrow you'll be the same you but a day older. You could say your a day older at sea or anchored to shore, it's up to you.

At 55 my wife decided she wanted a motorcycle, never drove a stick shift car in her life. At 59 we rode our bikes from California to Florida and back via St. Louis. At 62 she died, but she said "I did it!" not "I wish I had."

As far as money goes. I used to plan for a retirement that would last forever. In other words I wanted enough to live on the interest, never touch the principal and leave it to the grand kids. Sounds "responsible" right? But after my wife had her first stroke I rethought my options. No man in my families history has lived into his eighties. If all I needed was 30 years than I could spend the principal. SO my grand kids (2) don't get a monetary reward when I die, I'll give them experiences they could never buy. And their other Grandfather is wealthy (10X a millionaire), he can leave them money.

BTW, I have already sold all three motorcycles, a road bicycle, my Miata, and all my other toys. I have bought a laptop and camera that I can make some money with. Found a marina I can live at, and have 20-30 boats to choose from.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51   #57

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Trawler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
What about a trawler?

Much more room, well protected from the weather, easier to handle (some are set up with thrusters) and a much better view than a similar sailboat.

I'll admit that you would not be going as far, but that may not be your plan. There's often lots of beautiful cruising close to a home port.

I find myself looking at ones like the Marine Trader 34 and wishing they had been available in Oz. They seem to have a similar price to sailboats of the same length. The older ones all look to need some repair though.

In Oz the virtually identical boat is the Clipper 34. Could have come out of the same mold. Try for the mark 3. The mark 1 had deck issues, and so did many of the 2s. You see them around for $75 - 125k

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25   #58

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

60 better not be too late!

I'm 63 and just sold the house. Moved into an apartment last week overlooking the channel into Lake Maquarie. My GF partner thingy is 49 and has very little sailing experience, but she is totally committed and cant wait to get going.
As soon as the business sells we're going boat hunting for a good solid, heavy displacement liveaboard. It will probably be in the USA or Caribbean, because that is where there is a better chance to find what we're looking for.
After that it's getting the boat cruise ready, getting familiar with it, and then making our way back across the S. Pacific to Oz. After that? Well, depends on which way the wind's blowing

Once you decide and start working on it, you definitely get a spring in your step and roll back a few years

Go for it.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12   #59

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

Wavewacker, I didn't mean to imply that you have medical issues. I just read the OP and it sounded like you were concerned about whether or not it was too late and you said that you weren't in the best shape. But I say that about myself sometimes. I could certainly do better if I would get out and run some miles, hit the gym, etc. Again, it's all relative. It sounds to me like you don't feel like you have any serious health issues at all, and what your GF is going through is certainly not uncommon nowadays and people deal with it very well. 60 sure isn't old, and believe me, I'm not far behind you. Best of luck Wavewacker!

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12   #60

Don1500, sounds like you are starting over but with experience sailing. (Hmmm, 49? MAybe the problem is that I need to trade in the 60 for two 30s....no, wait, I've done that and that doesn't work! LOL) Much of what you said is why I have my bucket list.

BTW, I miss my Miata, sold it and got a Forester, nice, but it's no Miata!

VV, Any sailing experience? Sounds like you have a great plan and you're right, when I'm on my bike the years melt away, I'm sure it would be the same cruising new waters too.

I have looked at Trawlers for about a year on the internet, again they are all far away from me and I'm thinking way cheaper than that.

I found an old 55' river boat on Ebat several months ago, steel and he said it ran fine (right, lol) and it was cheap, 25K I think. The inerior pics showed all the work he had done making it look like a log cabin inside. I thought another 5K tearing out what he did would work. (Hope he is not on this site...) Anyway, I decided it was probably a hole in the water inwhich I would be pouring money keeping it afloat. As I mentioned above, that Carri-Craft catamaran houseboat was 25K but on Lake Mead, my truck won't pull that. But I'm getting off topic....

Bigber boats and age: I pulled my 26' gass cuddy up to a ramp that faced open water on the lake. I got my trailer down and the boat on, and I got off. A wake came and blew the boat off the trailer. I got in the water and pulled it back and in doing so I had to step inside the trailer. I was about to move when another wake pushed the boat toward me and pinned my leg for a moment, could have broken my leg with that 6,000 lb hulk of fiberglass, if I had been where I was in my 40s I'd simply stop the boat and hold it. I now know better. Wonder what my next stunt will be where I'll do something I did in my 50s and find out I'm not in my 50s any moore.
Don't take any of this as a mental block or copping out, but the fact is we lose strength with age and I at least tend to do things like I always have, like a bull in a china closet, so at some point I need to start understanding and accept that I need to out smart things instead of using brawn.

All that made me think a much smaller boat might be better, camp on the shore and get a motel, a boat I can man handle....boy, that would be roughing it!