Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 13:48   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
...............I hope this explains fully your question, if you are unsure of any aspect please post and I will clarify it for you pdq.
I hope this helps.
I appreciate your clarification and enjoy reading your post. Sometimes abreviated terms or idioms lose much meaning when they cross an ocean or a generation online. Thanks for taking the time to explain for me.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:55   #347
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
..............CptForce, if you're looking at HBs, what are your thoughts, the Baracuda?............
My wife gave me three or four more years on our ketch for Christmas! I like the Baracudas for my future needs to adapt to my wife's decreasing mobility, but I'm not a fan of the gas engines and particularly the inboard/outboards. I may find a direct drive single engine diesel that pushes something between 35' & 40' on one level. It's a little bigger than I need, but I've seen a couple of Pearson Portsmouths that looked very good for my future geriatric needs. Now, if I can just find that assisted living marina!
Old 09-01-2013, 14:32   #348

Assisted living marina, now there's an idea for a health care professional! LOL

I think I'd go with gas myself, easier to get along the rivers.

My lateset idea; go down to the White River in the spring and scout around. See what the marinas down there run annually and consider a home port on the White. There I'd have access to anywhere. I'm 4 hours away. Better would be the 2 1/2 hours to the Mississippi or Kentucky Lake, I'd think KL would be high and not sure if they have liveaboards there, the Muddy would be gunkholing maybe to private property if someone would agree, in some inlet, not sure that exists. That would keep me close for any unexpected family responsibility, except when cruising. This is if I can't trailer the boat, still the first choice.

My gf's oldest daughter got back from BC and has come over to help the gf clean stuff out, organize for a sale and donations......happy days!

Wow, I like this one Cpt. Force! http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=77159&url=

It's gas, gulp, gulp, Needs some updating, english oil on the wood.....I noticed too, the port in the shower might be interesting at the marina for passerbys....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:00   #349

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Captforce you're correct, we so often take things everyday things for granted in our own environment and it doesn't always translate, I wouldn't like people to think I'm a smart arse or patronising by over simplifying or using acrononyms to ******** people. Wavewacker. I can assure you the claims are not false for 're-chipping' or 'remapping' engine magement, one of the diesels I did was normally rated at 450 hp, it now turns out 600 hp with a massive Torque (pulling power). As for the 'English narrow canal boat UGH ! My Birchwood 33 Aft cabin boat is up for sale on ApolloDuck.com, click France, Motor boats, Aft Cabin, you'll spot the Irish flag.
Good Luck with the clean out, way to go.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:30   #350
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Wavewacker;1126159].............I think I'd go with gas myself, easier to get along the rivers..........[QUOTE]

'good point! I'll need to keep this in mind. I'm spoiled by my current 600+ mile range under power on my current boat and with sailing too, I rarely have concerns about fuel levels.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33   #351

Boat: Ericson 27

I too have just turned 60 (!) and am making plans to buy a 30-34' monohull (1980's) and head out from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and eventually the Yucatan. I wish I had decided to do this 20 years ago, but nothing short of bad health will stop me now. Research, Plan, Prepare, Study, but above all, Go for it!
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:22   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
................. and head out from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and eventually the Yucatan. .............. Research, Plan, Prepare, Study, but above all, Go for it!
Great plan,- and when the cruising starts, let go of any pressure or comittments to be at any destination during a specific year!
Old 12-01-2013, 13:31   #353

Cpt.Force, 600 mile range under power? What boat is that again....and how much fuel does it take? I can see why you don't watch the gas guage, a habit you'll need to get into with a houseboat....LOL

Tomi, sounds like a great plan, what boats are you considering?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:33   #354
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Cpt.Force, 600 mile range under power? What boat is that again....and how much fuel does it take? I can see why you don't watch the gas guage, a habit you'll need to get into with a houseboat....LOL

Tomi, sounds like a great plan, what boats are you considering?
'easy answer for this! - a 41' sailboat with a Yanmar 4JH3E that consumes about a gallon an hour at 6.5 kts. and with two 55 gallon tanks. This gives me well over 600 motoring miles, but I like to stay safe and conservative.