Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2012, 08:13   #301

Boat: Marine Trader 47
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Capt Force. You still up in JAX? Daytona sure is nice today.

I agree, no house, no car, a woman in every port to supply transport. Best of all worlds. I also have a bike, I'm getting more exercise than ever before, and the energy is building! 20+ miles a day and then I go shopping.

It's all right now
I've learned my lesson well
Ya see ya can't please everyone
You have to please yourself.
- Ricky Nelson

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36   #302

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Yes, Don, we expect to remain in the St. Johns until Spring. I see you're singing old tunes with a new accompaniment,- 'must be doing well! We're giving up the cruise south from here this year to take a flight and cruise New Zeaeland early in the new year. We thought of having the pretty Awlgrip freeboard that looks so good on your boat, but were blowing it all for New Zealand. See you on the water, Stewart

Old 05-12-2012, 04:51   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I remain all in favor of the boat as a single unit with nothing owned ashore. The idea of traveling with a truck and the boat on a trailer sounds appealing when you consider the many opportunities for quickly changing cruising areas, but there is a great appeal in the long slow cruise without complications. With every launch of the trailered boat you must find a location to store your shore property and then cruise back to your starting point and this requires a suitable ramp with likely storage fees. We keep two small folding bicycles aboard, two small kayaks on the deck and an dinghy on davits. These are all fairly slow means of transport, but they easily remain with us and our life doesn't require that we be at any place quickly. We crusie to higher latitudes in the summer and low in the winter. You only need to average about 13 miles a day for this. 'works for us, but there are many different good plans.

Second thought....You're right, now I remember the marina near Navy Peer in Chicago, I checked on the fees, morring, storage for the vehicle and trailer, the fees were so high I left, lucky I wasn't pulling a boat at the time, just checking on the possibilities.

I feel like a little kid holding on to a security blanket, LOL, I know better.

I spent most of the day on Yacht World and found a few boats, one was an old Willard power but it had a great aft deck. I could see through the horrid work boat finish with years of paint built up inside and what I'd do to it. The 40'er could have had a great dog area aft....anyway I called, it was on Long Island and the broker said the bottom was so badly blistered the surveyor stopped inspecting it. Another on bites the dust!

I think I need a motorsailor, 30/32', one head, stateroom, decent galley and a good sized saloon with a small aft deck......shoal draft, but nothing found in my price range, there was a Nimble but too small.

As a newbie it's easy to see that more room would make the move from land easier, more house like I guess, I'd like the room of a houseboat with the agility of a 30' Sundancer and sail like a Swan....not going to happen!

Anyway, cruising 13 miles a day doesn't sound like anything, I've thought I'd have to do 50 miles a day when heading out to get somewhere...never considered taking more time, I don't haven an appointment! That puts a whole different slant on sailing more.

Having a bad time with my computer, it's not following my instructions and hard to finish what I wanted to say about boats, but you guys know where I am so any suggestions are more than welcome....later
Old 05-12-2012, 06:09   #304

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Mate, it is NEVER too late to start. Life isn't a rehearsal so do not hesitate.

As a real good friend of mine always says " You spend a damn long time staring at the lid don't you"

I'm sure that you know what he mans by that.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49   #305

I guess I'll open it and see what's inside, Oz...

After my third pitcher last night, I told my brother I would sell my lake house to his son who was wanting to live at the lake. I also told him I was planning to hit the`water and live on a boat!

Also had a long talk with the gf and we are on the same page!

I know now that two pitchers will be my limit unless I have a life changing decission to make.

I have no idea what I'll do with the dogs. I guess I'll plan on taking them. Guess that means a bigger boat with room for 200 pounds of dog food as balast. I'll look into high tech pooper scoopers too.

As I just posted elsewhere, home repairs will start and a for sale sign will be posted May 1st, it should close within 90 days with a motivated seller.

Cutting down drastically on my night life, a savings of $400 a month easy, to be saved for boat related expenses.

The gf told me that die hard garage sale'rs will come to a winter garage sale! She called it a moving sale, everything has to go.

I'll be getting with my sons and telling them they need to take more stuff again.

Might as well update my Will, having much less makes estate planning easier!

When the hangover is gone I'll look into some agility exercises, I need to join the Y, it's a few blocks away and pretty nice....a popular place too!

I want everyone who posted in this thread to know that I'm holding all of you responsible for this liveaborad thing I'm doing! That's fair I think as I probably would not have done this without all of you being so dang inspirational.....Thanks (I hope).

It is too late to start, too late, should have started 10 years ago, I'm way behind and have lots to do!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08   #306

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I guess I'll open it and see what's inside, Oz...

After my third pitcher last night, I told my brother I would sell my lake house to his son who was wanting to live at the lake. I also told him I was planning to hit the`water and live on a boat!

Also had a long talk with the gf and we are on the same page!

I know now that two pitchers will be my limit unless I have a life changing decission to make.

I have no idea what I'll do with the dogs. I guess I'll plan on taking them. Guess that means a bigger boat with room for 200 pounds of dog food as balast. I'll look into high tech pooper scoopers too.

As I just posted elsewhere, home repairs will start and a for sale sign will be posted May 1st, it should close within 90 days with a motivated seller.

Cutting down drastically on my night life, a savings of $400 a month easy, to be saved for boat related expenses.

The gf told me that die hard garage sale'rs will come to a winter garage sale! She called it a moving sale, everything has to go.

I'll be getting with my sons and telling them they need to take more stuff again.

Might as well update my Will, having much less makes estate planning easier!

When the hangover is gone I'll look into some agility exercises, I need to join the Y, it's a few blocks away and pretty nice....a popular place too!

I want everyone who posted in this thread to know that I'm holding all of you responsible for this liveaborad thing I'm doing! That's fair I think as I probably would not have done this without all of you being so dang inspirational.....Thanks (I hope).

It is too late to start, too late, should have started 10 years ago, I'm way behind and have lots to do!
Decisions over three pitchers is never a good idea. Stone cold is where reason triumphs over chemical fantasy.

Rehome the giant breed friends, and go smaller. Yours would be happier on a farm,

Sure wish I could do it with you. I have the boat, small dogs, but too afraid, too many roots. Guess I need your liquid courage.
Old 07-12-2012, 17:32   #307

Liquid courage.....LOL!

I did what?

Well, they fury monsters may get to go, I've totally lost it I know. Just talked to a broker who has a 56' fiberglass Navy MKII I believe it was. Single D 8-71, 15' beam, 4' draft. I could land a powered parachute on the aft deck! Huge sallon, U galley, looks clean but.... needs $1,500 in diesel repairs.

450 gal fuel tank....I'd need a loan to fill it up!

I agree that the dogs need to be on a farm, my pit-sharpee mix isn't really that big but I'd hate to seperate the two.

A few years ago had a neighbor walk in the back door, my wife had called to borrow something and she was upstairs. The german shepard nailed the neighbor, drove them backwards with paws in the shoulders, out the back and into the next yard, then bit em a couple times for good measure. The neighbor healed and admitted fault for walking in but the dog still had to go to the vet for 10 days or so for observation as a passerby called the police seeing the attack. After four days the vet let me go outside to the pen to visit. I saw him first and he was just staring off into space. I called and he jumped up, he tried biting through the chain link to get out and was balling to get out. The most pitiful thing I ever saw, it really tore me up and I had to go so he wouldn't hurt himself trying to get out. Having gone through that I'd hate to put him through it again, but I know if he got a lot of attention he'd get over it. I'd always wonder if he was getting attention. But, I can't let a dog rule my life!

But, if this battle ship works out, the dogs would have more room than they do staying in the sunroom!

4' draft and beachable I think I see a boom to lift where the motorcycle could swing on and off without tilting the boat over, wouldn't even need to move the picnic table or deck chairs!

Now, someone tell me I lost it!

What kind of maintenance should be expected?
Any guesses on the fuel burn, gph?
Broker seems to be a straight shooter, the the boat has been for sale for 5 years while being used and started in 6 figures, well it's dropped to nothing in my price range, but buying a boat is the easy part.

I'll have some questions when I know what to ask, hope you guys can help me out with some advice, like costs of keeping it!

As for sailing, I can take my canoe with a sail riged or get a sunfish! That'd be a blast....
Old 07-12-2012, 23:21   #308

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
56' with 15' beam, that is the farm!

A 30' boat takes twice as much labor and money to maintain than a 20' boat. Same for a 40 over a 30. You are looking at a 56' !!!

Dock fees alone would sting my wallet. That is not something you are going to easily sail in and out of the marina to go out for a couple hours. Or even a couple days. That is a one boat flotilla!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29   #309

After boating for almost 50 years, I'm finding I don't know squat!

I'm hearing a burn rate of 6 gph or about $30 ph, add another buck for oil, 12 gal of oil every 100 hours. All in all, guessing at $5 a mile plus a reserve for maintenane, major overhaul in 7/8 years or repower at 15/18k!

My son's Sundancer is in a 60' slip at $400 a month on a lake!

I'm thinking my budget is more like a 26' boat with the wants of that 56'er! While the boat was in a work boat finish, it's still a great, clean living space.....but I'd need to live in VA and go out a day a month.

Thanks for the reality check!

The decission to go was to a large part based on looking at power boats 40' and up, trawlers and work boats. I really don't want 400+ hp to feed and at that size, that's what you get.

Back to the drawing board!

Suggestion please!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18   #310

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

What about this ole tub? Hey, I think I did it! The link...thanks!

This is the one with the blistered bottom.

Lots and lots of work inside, but over time wouldn't be so bad...

DD 6-71, cheaper to run? Less than the 8-71

Old 08-12-2012, 13:50   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pull the Trigger

WaveW,

You are caught amid a circle of "Yeah, but what about Ö" obstacles. Each problem seems intertwined with at least one other, to present an unsolvable knot.

Alexander the Great solved the problem of the inscrutable Gordian Knot by taking out his sword and slicing through it with all his might: a straight-forward approach that caused many around him to gasp, but the problem was solved, once and for all.

You need to make an action plan, and not care about the consequences to other people. List the steps in the order they need to be accomplished. Then attack the first one with a focus and vengeance until it is achieved. After that, move on to the second item, and shift all your focus and energy to it. Don't listen when the people affected by your actions start to whine, complain and threaten w/ emotional blackmail. Respond with backbone.

Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding and sound harsh below, but I notice the girlfriend is not mentioned in your plans for the future. Therefore:

Your list might start with items like these:
  1. Get rid of the parasite you call a girlfriend, and all her crap. Give her an ultimatum (3 mos. to find a place and move all her stuff out, or you'll rent a dumpster and toss it all. The sheriff? Okay, if that's the way you want it to happen, Dear.) You're not responsible for what she does or where she goes: she is. She needs to learn how to deal with life herself, but she will never have to face the prospect of change as long as you continue to enable this serious dysfunction. You must extricate yourself from this situation.
  2. Once she's out, get the house ready to put on the market.
  3. Give everything you want the kids to have to them. They will know you are serious from seeing you execute steps 1 & 2.

While you're fixing up the house, bring the vision of your new life into focus. Allow me to offer these three options as a tool for you to use to crystalize your goal:
  1. Haul a 26ft. MacGregor or other water-ballasted pocket-cruiser (Hunter 240/260, Catalina 250WB) or something behind a toy box camper with the bike and dogs inside, and do the camping/lake sailing thing. What you get: You'll get to keep the bike and the dogs. Price: it'll be a hassle to make arrangements for the hauler/trailer while you're on the water; it will be very cramped for two dogs that size, so you'll want to put them back on land every few days.
    -
  2. Get rid of the bike & dogs, buy a more seaworthy sailing yacht of around 30' or so, base yourself in a marina slip. What you get: the bike and toy-box camper are in the parking lot, you can live aboard and travel up and down the ICW to your heart's content. Price: slip fees; you will have given up the dogs; there's no real reason to keep the bike.
    -
  3. Sell out completely and become an ICW vagabond on the same small sailing yacht, and adapt to using alternative means of shore travel when you come in to reprovision. What you get: you're totally free. Price: the dogs are gone; it might involve more inconveniences than you're willing to live with (you'll need to arrange a way to receive mail, etc.
-
Personally, I see you living something like the first option. I get the impression you like the the idea of using the bike and enjoy the dogs' companionship so much that you'd want to keep them in the picture, and the lake/camping environment offers the dogs a lot and allows you to buzz around the trails on the bike. But no matter what you decide, the point still will be to clarify your goal and be willing to give up whatever it takes to get realize the goal. Seems you want to hold onto too much, and that prevents you from committing to any course of action.

Quit being such a damned nice guy. Decide, then execute, and let the chips fall where they may.

Courage,

Jeff
Old 08-12-2012, 13:52   #312

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
It's a romantic notion I've had since I was a kid that comes and goes, but it's on the front burner now and I need to get out there. Need to get on some boats and see if I can see myself actually doing it.
Wavewacker, it's been nearly a year and a half since you first posted that you were 60, retired eight years ago, "too lazy to walk 3 miles", were not in great shape and spent a lot of time on the couch. You said it had been 20-40 years since you sailed, you have never read a chart and that you have little experience or knowledge about boats and that your favourite anchor was a concrete filled bucket. Every electrical device you have ever owned has broken, smoked or at some time "blinked" at you. For your SO "getting on or off a boat, jumping off the bow or racing around to assist is probably out of the question", although she had agreed to give it a go despite not being on a boat for 40 years.

You identified you needed a trailerable boat, one that will sail, has A/C & heat & a queen size berth that is not in a V-berth & a stand up shower, is well insulated, will fit either your 750 lb or 325 lb motorbike, and probably your two dogs weighing nearly 200 lb total. Oh, and has room for guests as well.

From initially only wanting to stick to lakes and rivers after being pumped by all the enthusiastic responses here you then started to include the Bahamas as a possibility.

Options you have discussed have been a trawler, a trailerable boat, a houseboat, a cat, a shanty landing craft, a project boat or something you will build from scratch. Or even two boats. But until recently it was definitely something under 30 foot.

Nearly a year and a half later you still enthusiastically thinking of owning a boat, but your list has not narrowed at all, in fact it is expanding to suddenly include 56 footers as well.

You are putting your home on the market in May so that you can buy a boat, but do I understand correctly that you have so far only looked at boats online?

My head is just spinning trying to absorb all this
Old 08-12-2012, 14:58   #313

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
I have asked myself that same question (am I too old to start).
So I decided to do a lot of research and start small (code for cheap). Also at this stage of my life cycle I still wanted to do a lot of land travel and cruising was only a part time supplement, maybe 3 to 6 months a year.
Unfortunately, while wandering around the marinas I saw a boat that just ticked all the boxes. She was at the absolute limit of my finances, but I knew she was waiting there just for me.
She was in charter and the charter company was happy to keep her working in their fleet. I could still take her out whenever i liked and for as long as I liked.
Any income covered all her running costs which effectively meant I got to cruise for free. This suited me perfectly.
I'm based in Phuket so I have the whole Indian, Malacca and Andaman seas to explore for the next few years. These are some of the most interesting, diverse and little visited areas. I think the regions biogeography and rich maritime heritage is little appreciated by outsiders.
I just hope I have enough nautical miles left in me to scratch the surface.
Old 08-12-2012, 15:05   #314

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

What about this ole tub? Hey, I think I did it! The link...thanks!

This is the one with the blistered bottom.

Lots and lots of work inside, but over time wouldn't be so bad...

DD 6-71, cheaper to run? Less than the 8-71

I think it sounds perfect for you!

Room for you, the GF (?), the dogs and the bike!
You're not planning an ocean crossing, so why not?

If you're serious, just do something and start enjoying your life!
Old 08-12-2012, 19:23   #315

Re: Pull the Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
WaveW,

You need to make an action plan, and not care about the consequences to other people. List the steps in the order they need to be accomplished............

Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding and sound harsh below, but I notice the girlfriend is not mentioned in your plans for the future..........
  1. Haul a 26ft. MacGregor or other water-ballasted pocket-cruiser (Hunter 240/260, Catalina 250WB) or something behind a toy box camper with the bike and dogs inside, and do the camping/lake sailing thing. What you get: You'll get to keep the bike and the dogs. Price: it'll be a hassle to make arrangements for the hauler/trailer while you're on the water; it will be very cramped for two dogs that size, so you'll want to put them back on land every few days.
    -
  2. Get rid of the bike & dogs, buy a more seaworthy sailing yacht of around 30' or so, base yourself in a marina slip. What you get: the bike and toy-box camper are in the parking lot, you can live aboard and travel up and down the ICW to your heart's content. Price: slip fees; you will have given up the dogs; there's no real reason to keep the bike.
    -
  3. Sell out completely and become an ICW vagabond on the same small sailing yacht, and adapt to using alternative means of shore travel when you come in to reprovision. What you get: you're totally free. Price: the dogs are gone; it might involve more inconveniences than you're willing to live with (you'll need to arrange a way to receive mail, etc.
-
Personally, I see you living something like the first option. I get the impression you like the the idea of using the bike and enjoy the dogs' companionship so much that you'd want to keep them in the picture, and the lake/camping environment offers the dogs a lot and allows you to buzz around the trails on the bike. But no matter what you decide, the point still will be to clarify your goal and be willing to give up whatever it takes to get realize the goal. Seems you want to hold onto too much, and that prevents you from committing to any course of action.

Quit being such a damned nice guy. Decide, then execute, and let the chips fall where they may.

Courage,

Jeff

LOL! I'm glad someone thinks I'm a nice guy.

I say that because most who know me wouldn't say I was indecisive, I usually make pretty quick decissions or that I didn't have brass ....., but I do understand that impression. Yes the gf is in the plan, probably not the kids, they can't go.

I did the #1 for about 6 years, that's enough of that.

This all began with the goal of doing the great loop. I could buzz it in a few months, less than 3 and wouldn't enjoy the schedule. Taking 12 to 18 months was more the target. During that time I'd know if living aboard was for me. That didn't involve selling my homes or property, just getting the right boat.

I don't see a reason to get rid of the bike, I'm sure either one of my sons would love to keep them in good condition for me. The idea of taking one, mostly the dual sport, is actually two fold, transportation in case of an emergency and just plain transportation. More on that later.

I have dumped stuff several times moving around in the Army, not all, but walked away from stuff before and never really missed it. Easy to do when you're in the 20s/30s and 40s, plenty of time to accumulate more stuff while you're still working.

While I did ask about what to do when you get too old to continue I didn't mean to imply that was my plan, nor to move on a boat for any extended time. The goal was to do the loop slowly, now let's say;

I get rid of the dogs
I sell everything, personal property and real estate
I move on a 30+ boat
And get half way through the loop and.....

My boat burns and get pennys on the dollar for it and fly home....or

I get injured where I can't complete the trip, sell the boat, like everyone else at a loss and fly home....

Oh, wait, did I say fly home? LOL....Hey, I don't have a home!
Why would I need a home, I got no stuff to put in one!

Now, the younger guys will say...just go buy another place and stuff! Awww, but I've been retired for ten years, no job! Every time I got a mortgage seems like the bank wants to know what job you have and what you make. Point being, 1/3 of retirement income doesn't qualify you for much, certainly nothing like what I have.

Sounds to me like that plan could leave you homeless!

I don't mind taking risks, I manage risk I don't get a wild hair at my age that could drain me financially, not to mention getting rid of the dogs or abandon other responsibilities. But that is not to say life can't change.

Now, if I were 35 that would be different, plenty of time to make up for mistakes.

Yes, this thread has been a process, working through options, assessing risks, opinions and boats and I thank all of you for putting up with it!

I seem to have narrowed it down, at least a type of boat.....like that 39'er above, it's no yacht but works. Now the issue is economy for that style boat, even though I'm not nuts about a diesel. In the back wing is a local 30' sailboat, but the dogs won't fit on it, so I'll make arrangements if I have to pay someone to watch them.

So, there is a method to my madness, prudent due diligence or intelligence for the order of battle, and attack with a plan that includes any necessary retreat with limited losses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: