Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-11-2011, 02:41   #241
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Your only as old as you think you are. 59 Male, Currently recovering from fatal car accident where wife died and I had 10% chance. Four months in hospital with broken back, neck, ribs, sternum. Internal organs mashed and some brain damage. So not that fit really BUT I'm fit enough to sail my forty foot yacht around the Med and plan to sail it from Valencia Spain back to UK just as soon as the weather improves. I have taken it out on my own, only problem is berthing on your own. Will have two crew for trip back to UK. I will be taking my fair share of the duties.
I don't feel nearly sixty and my brain although battered is going well. I managed to pass the RYA ICC and Radio certificate first time. My instructer thought I was good enough and thats good enough for me.
Happy sailing whatever age or medical conditions you have. It's good therapy.
That's a sh#tty one (me 4 years in on that T-shirt - I think some things you ain't ever meant to "Get over").

Easy to take for granted what you have......

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 03:37   #242

Don't hesitate! Start as soon as possible... The only thing you have to consider, according to your age, is to choose a comfortable and safe boat (think of a powerfull motor, sailing upwind is tough, and motoring easier)

Old 30-11-2011, 09:22   #243

Wink Re: Too Late To Start ?

David Old Jersey & VirtualVagabond

Thanks for your posts.

The other thing about cruising is the number of good people you meet from all walks of life and all ages. A bit like Motorcyclist a good crowd.

I think that you get a good all round experience which has challenges, excitement and pleasure. Definitely keeps you focused and sane.

I recommend sailing & cruising to all. It can be what you want it to be, single-handed or crewed. Just the occasional day or live aboard or anything in between. Just make sure that the boat is up to the task and your abilities.

Wish all happy sailing.
Old 17-12-2011, 11:26   #244

I've been gone, sorry I have not replied, but I'm baaaaaack!

Guess to catch up, age is not a critical issue, capabilities are and those can be managed as to the travel undertaken. Staying in a marina to me sounds like a floating nursing home, getting to go out on a sunday drive with your roomies in a van. (LOL, maybe not that bad) I liked the mention of a boat being an escape vehicle. For me, that's what I'm thinking, just to escape from all that is going on and not look back.

Maybe a week on a dock would be fun, depends where. Any suggestions with good weather and very very cheap?
Old 26-05-2012, 07:51   #245

Yes, I'm bumped my old thread, but another concern as I was just reading another thread about a strater boat and learning to sail.

I have sailed long ago, I will be very rusty I know. But what was mentioned was getting a first boat and make mistakes, learn "what kind" of sailing you do, etc. and move up, etc. find the equipment you need, move up and a few years later you'll have what you need.

Well, if that's the case, then it can be too late to start. While I may have 20 more years (61) doesn't seem like there is five years to trade boats and develop a perfect boat.

So, is it not possible just to get something and live with it? Get it fairly right the first time?

I was side tracked by family issues already and real estate stuff, but now back on this...thanks for your input...

i
Old 26-05-2012, 09:41   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I would disagree that you need a "starter boat." If you have sailed before it will come back. But in the meantime you get a boat you can indeed live on and use it as a "motor yacht" until you master the sailing part.

For older folks, they frequently buy too little boat or too much boat. You have to be realistic about your physical condition and how much "grunt" type work you can do. And then match your boat choices to your current and future abilities. Depending upon your financial resources, you can get a simple small live aboard that can also be taken out for daysails or weekend/holiday cruising. If you have larger resources you can get a larger boat that has more mechanical "assistance" to compensate for "old age."
Old 26-05-2012, 13:16   #247

Well it's May and I've managed to get Alba the 1500 nm from Valencia Spain to Walton on the Naze on the East Coast of the UK. Learnt lots and put up with all sorts of problems, funny moments and difficult decisions.
Learnt that it does not matter how much preparation you do things will go wrong and normally when you are busy dealing with a previous problem. You can read the blog at: www.blog.mailasail.com/alba6770
There's a map and a blog for most days. Some of the highlights were navigation of most of the journey on an iPad as the Raymarine system died twice. Losing the engine when the starting motor burst into flames. Not fun in a Force 8 on the nose. Being rescued by an expensive Spanish lifeboat. Dealing with morons in Spain. Great to sail past Gibralta and Cape Trafalgar and weird to motor across the Bay of Biscay with a 2kn wind and the sea like glass. It was for me at sixty like climbing Everest. New to the game but with a real passion to do it. Next project after repairs a little jaunt circumnavigating the UK and a trip to Norway and Sweden. Good winds to you all and hopefully joy in your sailing. Captain Jim & Alba
Old 27-05-2012, 03:45   #248
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Corinthian 41 Tri #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
get a boat you can indeed live on and use it as a "motor yacht" until you master the sailing part.
The perfect motorsailer, a boat that will both motor and sail very well is a multihull. Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - Home a database of over 1000 multihulls will be a free service in about 7 days.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:03   #249

Thanks Osirissail, I'm thinking along those lines. I'm not as physically fit as I was but I'm not one to sweat much either, lol, I'd like A/C at the inside helm. I can see myself motoring more than sailing, but I certainly want the option, especially with fuel prices....

Alba, not sure I followed your post in the subject of the thread, but sounds like you're out there do'n it.

Cats are certainly at the top of my list and the top of my budget as well. I think it will be a production mono, 80s/90s in good shape, new sails and decent or better engine.

I'm thinking I can probably take on a 30/32 footer, I know I can take on a 26 footer from past experiences. Not sure that would really be livable....and gosh, I hope it trailers too.
Old 27-05-2012, 13:21   #250
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Thanks Osirissail, I'm thinking along those lines. I'm not as physically fit as I was but I'm not one to sweat much either, lol, I'd like A/C at the inside helm. I can see myself motoring more than sailing, but I certainly want the option, especially with fuel prices....

Alba, not sure I followed your post in the subject of the thread, but sounds like you're out there do'n it.

Cats are certainly at the top of my list and the top of my budget as well. I think it will be a production mono, 80s/90s in good shape, new sails and decent or better engine.

I'm thinking I can probably take on a 30/32 footer, I know I can take on a 26 footer from past experiences. Not sure that would really be livable....and gosh, I hope it trailers too.
If you want to trailer, get a Norsea 27.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:35   #251

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
If you want to trailer, get a Norsea 27.
NS27 is certainly livable. Plenty of room for one person and add a significant other and you'll be good.

I like mine, but waiting for USCG docs before I can get into the water. Already been fun working on her.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:45   #252
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

You still hanging around here?you wait much longer and it will be to late ..you want a cat ?look at the CF member grouchyturtles boat,seems to have a nice setup..You had better get going....DVC
Old 27-05-2012, 13:47   #253

I'll look that up, the NS27 and I believe I have seen one, seemed small for a liveaboard, but if you say so, we really don't need much I don't think.

Now I have had boats and yes, I'm in the middle of the country......what USCG documents? A boat that size gets a registration from the state and we are good to go, am I missing something about putting in saltwater?

My goal was doing the Great Loop, like to keep the draft as shallow as possible, like to beach too instead of being 10 feet out.....Mississippi mud is deep...
Old 27-05-2012, 14:02   #254

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I'll look that up, the NS27 and I believe I have seen one, seemed small for a liveaboard, but if you say so, we really don't need much I don't think..
I was thinking it would be a bit too small to go cruising on but some people have taken a NS27 around the world. I've only seen pictures up until I went to see the one I bought. I'm 6'5". Sure, I can't stand up straight down below but then I'm only moving from one area to another and sit down most of the time.

If you're interested in pictures (and a couple videos) I have plenty on my blog of my boat (see my signature). Might help give you some perspective. I've only had mine for almost two months and working on her until I can get her into the water.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:38   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I was thinking it would be a bit too small to go cruising on but some people have taken a NS27 around the world. I've only seen pictures up until I went to see the one I bought. I'm 6'5". Sure, I can't stand up straight down below but then I'm only moving from one area to another and sit down most of the time.

If you're interested in pictures (and a couple videos) I have plenty on my blog of my boat (see my signature). Might help give you some perspective. I've only had mine for almost two months and working on her until I can get her into the water.
Thanks for the post and directing me to yours. Nice boat, I like the finish and the layout overall.

I think my mistake was showing my GF too many pics of larger boats
if I had started at 24' instead of 42' I would have been better off.
I'm aware of the reputation of the Nor'sea from readings years ago and if it were just me it would be up on my list!

Yes, if I don't get the anchor out it will get too late....just got side tracked....stuff happens.

I have made progress getting rid of stuff and considering, even offered, by bike for sale.....so that's a good indication that I'm getting serious!

I'm thinking of heading toward Kentucky or up to the great lakes where more boats are for sale....more than pontoon and bass boats in my area. I'm afraid my selection will be limited unless I get down to the gulf....

Any suggestions???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: