Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 18:19   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
I enjoy seeing GPS tracks uploaded to Google maps on blogs.
__________________

__________________
conachair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 18:26   #62
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Posts: 789
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

I blog because I like to write and when I have interesting material to work with, I like to take photos. I am not trying to teach anyone anything, or to encourage or discourage folks. I am not trying to do anything other than write about what I know which is my life. Some folks don't like it when I write about other aspects of our life than just the boat and sailing. Some of my family only likes the updates on the kids. Some people only want me to post how tos or travel tips. None of these people are giving me a check so I write whatever the heck I feel like.

I do not give a rip if someone does not like what I wrote or the way I write it. If people want to read and are entertained, fantastic! If they are bored, they are free to move along. Its a hobby for me, nothing more.

If you like to write, then start a blog. If you don't, then don't. Those people who say that your blog must contain XYZ or it has no business on the internet are probably kill joys who feel the need to run around telling everyone what they should or should not do to entertain themselves. Their time would be better spent developing a hobby of their own as opposed to objecting to everyone else's hobbies. (Although I would love to see them go off on a critical rant about say, some of the things knitters chose to knit in their spare time. That would be hilarious.)
__________________

__________________
S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau Undergoing refit in Kemah, Tx
Our little blog has moved: www.theceolmors.blogspot.com
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 01:56   #63
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
........................ I do not give a rip if someone does not like what I wrote or the way I write it. If people want to read and are entertained, fantastic! If they are bored, they are free to move along. Its a hobby for me, nothing more. ............
Excellent attitude! I have expressed my lack of interest in blogs, but that should not be interpreted that I am in any way against their presence or suggesting people should not create them. I'm not "into" zombie or vampire movies either, but I'm all for those that do!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 06:59   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 45' CC ketch
Posts: 332
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
I like to use my blog as a platform for illustrated story telling and for sharing our journey of self-discovery and growth.
Your blog is a rare example of worthy place on the Net, that contributes. It is on my very short list of blogs worth reading. Thank you.
__________________
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:16   #65
Registered User
 
Jane.Joy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Panama
Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Those people who say that your blog must contain XYZ or it has no business on the internet are probably kill joys who feel the need to run around telling everyone what they should or should not do to entertain themselves. Their time would be better spent developing a hobby of their own as opposed to objecting to everyone else's hobbies. (Although I would love to see them go off on a critical rant about say, some of the things knitters chose to knit in their spare time. That would be hilarious.)
What a great analogy! I'm imagining the exchange:

"That looks like a hand-knit scarf."

"It is! I made it myself."

"That is an extremely boring scarf. You really should knit something more interesting. Like a sweater perhaps. And your choice of yarn is in very poor taste. You really should not be allowed to wear that scarf in public. What is the matter with you? I think your scarf is indicative of a lack of character on your part, and a harbinger of the end of civilization as we know it."
__________________
Jane, s/v more JOY everywhere!
_______________________________________
The Monkey's Fist
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:42   #66
Registered User
 
ardoin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis
Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Posts: 184
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

I have a web site with a blog. My blog sucks, so please don't read it. It has infrequent posts, that I use to track things I'm doing and relay pictures or messages to friends. The web site also sucks, but it documents the boat and crew and the things we are doing to upgrade and maintain her. Some folks like it and every now and then I get an email about it.
__________________
Cy Ardoin
S/V Music
http://www.cycon.com/
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:20   #67
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

[QUOTE=CaptForce;1295205][QUOTE=settingsun;1295166]How sad that folks here feel compelled to lash out at fellow cruisers and cut down their blogs....................
Quote:

I might be among thse that you consider to be "lashing out" at other's blogs, but my intent is just to evaluate my response to these blogs. I freely admit to not being stimulated by these blogs, but I'm not identifying any one as less appealing than another. I think that my negative reaction to blogs is simply that they are a one-way communication, not unlike listening to a report on a radio. The message is received, but there is no interaction. On an interactive forum, like CF, the communication is two-way and far more interesting as it enables participation. I have 42 years of liveaboard cruising and raising two children aboard from infants to adulthood. I've experienced many of the events and challenges that come with cruising, but I'm not interested in presenting a dialogue without the participation of others. I'm very interested in sharing my experiences, but not wthout an active exchange.
I agree with the previous post. If you don't like a blog, don't read it, but don't trash it gratuitously. I don't like 99% of what I read on line either, but my opinion isn't so important that I need to tell others "don't do to that website -- it's (whatever)."

I just move on.

I like my blog, now in hiatus but to start up again soon. Others *who like my blog* read it. I'm sure many glance it and move on, which is exactly what they should do.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:31   #68
Registered User
 
sailvayu's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Myers FL
Boat: Irwin 40
Posts: 878
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

As I am just getting started with a couple of new blogs this thread has been of great interest to me. For the OP I would say if you want to share your journey with family and friends and feel you can put in the time by all means do it. Use a simple platform such as sailblogs or blogger. if you want more flexibility try wordpress. If you think you will make money with it then I would suggest you try something else. If you like to share what you have learned or just what you are doing then go for it. I think for a blog to be interesting you have to offer more than just a weekly post unless of course you are a really good writer. These days I think you have have good photos, videos would be good as well combined with useful information that others can learn from and a bit of good writing. Look at blogs you like and try to use what you like from them and add your own touches as well. just have fun with it and others will have fun visiting. If it becomes a chore then let it go as that will start to show in your posts. Someone also mentioned that blogs are not interactive but I think a blog that allows readers to comment as most do can interact to an extent, maybe not like here but still they can supply feedback and ask questions. So it is not all just one way unless the reader wants it to be.
__________________
Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboat.info
http://sailvayu.com/
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00   #69
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 461
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Most bloggers are better writers than they think they are. Sampling a couple dozen sailblogs this morning, I was impressed with the idea that average bloggers write well enough ... at least as a matter of technical correctness.

Two thirds of the blogs, at least, had not been updated by their owners in years ... often many years. A significant number of the blogs had not been updated in five years or more. Most of the articles in them had not been noted by the presence of even a single visitor's comment. Naturally, these erstwhile bloggers realized, after time passed, that very few people ever visited their little places on the internet highway. Their words, they soon realized, lived on an address on the old road through the Nevada desert ... the one bypassed by the highway twenty years before ...

For these bloggers, the first five articles became the last five. I felt badly for them. I posted a comment (a first comment) to a number of those lonely blogs. "Nice blog. Beautiful boat."

It's not the technical correctness of their prose that is the issue. It's the failure of those authors to ask themselves a simple question: "Could this material be of any interest to unrelated people?" Pictures of grandkids are great, but unrelated people pictures will quickly change a visitor's reading speed to "skim mode" when presented with a series of such (precious to author, of course) photos. If the rest of the article takes the form of a diary, any would-be visitor/commentor soon clicks his way back to the CruisersForum.

Most people don't want to read another person's diary. The bland facts of the mechanics of sailing, detailed over the course of days, are the same for everyone. There's no point.

The writer of the blog must capture the reader's imagination, and he can do so by attaching those "bland ordinary sailing facts" to a larger story that has general relevance and interest. Take the diary apart, and make it into a sailing saga. I guess that's what a writer really is, rather than just someone who can connect grammatically correct sentences. And some sailing blogs are excellent sagas. In fact, I found a couple diamonds in the rough this morning. It was worth wading through the diaries, to pick up the couple gems that I found in the bottom of the gold pan ...
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles - The Umbrella Man.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
I like writing so I write and post a weblog, roughly once a week - sometimes a little more frequently. I really don't give a rip if anyone reads it and I'm always surprised when someone tells me they have read it. For us its a useful record of where we've been. I occasionally go off on a bit of a political rant which vents my spleen and probably makes me easier to live with.

I don't make any attempt to publicize my weblog and I don't care if anyone else finds it entertaining. It serves our purposes and that's enough for us.
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22   #71
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

I think we are back to deciding (for self) what your blog is for:-

a) Freinds and family and Self - to keep updated with where you are, what you are doing etc etc plus photos (aka the dull stuff for folks who don't know you), plus as a journal for self later. Writing skill does not matter, but some basic literacy always useful. Nonetheless also a boredom threshold, even if far higher than for others.

b) To be helpful to others - for that I think you need to concentrate on a subject or 2, even if you cover other areas. For my website (no blog) I focused on the Model of my boat (Seadog 30) as with only 140 built (in 60's and early 70's) with owners on the older side there was little at the time on the internet, or at least little that stuck around (mostly for sale ads that came and went).....the intention was that it become more about my boat, but never has! (laziness!) - but as it is it stands up well to rarely being changed (lots I could change, and would prefer to)......at least for those who are thinking of buying a Seadog 30 or already have one. For everyone else I truly don't care! For writing skill I would say that perfection is not required when you have a story (or facts) that others actually want - and you are not just selling entertainment.

c) Making money - The hard one! I think this where lots of thought and planning needs to go into the blog (or a lot of luck!) to have a niche that also attracts folks you can sell to, having products you can sell..........and not just attract nosey freeloaders! To my mind this is where writing well (or at least in style that attracts folks) really matters as firmly in realms of providing entertainment........and yer probably also need to be prepared to be commercially disappointed!, at least if the blog / website is not something you would pretty much be doing anyway.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41   #72
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Hutch, You make some excellent points. I too notice many "lonely blogs". I think the problem is more than just a boring or unvisited blog though. Often times it is actually hard to comment (the blog software is a pain), or the comments are moderated (we aren't good at delayed gratification), or the blogger never responds to your feedback (a major turn off). I suspect there are some well read blogs out there that just don't get commented on, and a few that actually have comments turned completely off!
__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47   #73
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Most bloggers are better writers than they think they are. Sampling a couple dozen sailblogs this morning, I was impressed with the idea that average bloggers write well enough ... at least as a matter of technical correctness.

Two thirds of the blogs, at least, had not been updated by their owners in years ... often many years. A significant number of the blogs had not been updated in five years or more. Most of the articles in them had not been noted by the presence of even a single visitor's comment. Naturally, these erstwhile bloggers realized, after time passed, that very few people ever visited their little places on the internet highway. Their words, they soon realized, lived on an address on the old road through the Nevada desert ... the one bypassed by the highway twenty years before ...

For these bloggers, the first five articles became the last five. I felt badly for them. I posted a comment (a first comment) to a number of those lonely blogs. "Nice blog. Beautiful boat."

It's not the technical correctness of their prose that is the issue. It's the failure of those authors to ask themselves a simple question: "Could this material be of any interest to unrelated people?" Pictures of grandkids are great, but unrelated people pictures will quickly change a visitor's reading speed to "skim mode" when presented with a series of such (precious to author, of course) photos. If the rest of the article takes the form of a diary, any would-be visitor/commentor soon clicks his way back to the CruisersForum.

Most people don't want to read another person's diary. The bland facts of the mechanics of sailing, detailed over the course of days, are the same for everyone. There's no point.

The writer of the blog must capture the reader's imagination, and he can do so by attaching those "bland ordinary sailing facts" to a larger story that has general relevance and interest. Take the diary apart, and make it into a sailing saga. I guess that's what a writer really is, rather than just someone who can connect grammatically correct sentences. And some sailing blogs are excellent sagas. In fact, I found a couple diamonds in the rough this morning. It was worth wading through the diaries, to pick up the couple gems that I found in the bottom of the gold pan ...
What a nice post. Encouraging too. (you should write a blog!)

Most people who keep a blog going have a bit of ego. It's only natural. I know I've got one on board here somewhere. It's not that big and it slinks away whenever I'm up to my elbows in dirt or grease or diesel... it probably hides in that box of random bits I fully intend dragging out and organizing one day.

People who take the trouble to blog are surprised at how few comments are ever left. It makes it a lonely business and it's so tempting to just stop, but we plough on for the sake of close friends and family.
The other day I found a button on my website that said 'statistics'. I'd never noticed it before so I clicked it. It seems something like 100-170 views per day are quietly happening.
We don't have that many friends and family!

I now believe there are a lot of blog followers out there and most bloggers have no idea how many people are reading their idle ramblings.
So do keep it up.

Vic
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51   #74
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Hutch, You make some excellent points. I too notice many "lonely blogs". I think the problem is more than just a boring or unvisited blog though. Often times it is actually hard to comment (the blog software is a pain), or the comments are moderated (we aren't good at delayed gratification), or the blogger never responds to your feedback (a major turn off). I suspect there are some well read blogs out there that just don't get commented on, and a few that actually have comments turned completely off!
+1 I must have been reading your mind
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58   #75
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 461
Re: To Blog or not to Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I like writing so I write and post a weblog, roughly once a week - sometimes a little more frequently. I really don't give a rip if anyone reads it and I'm always surprised when someone tells me they have read it. For us its a useful record of where we've been. I occasionally go off on a bit of a political rant which vents my spleen and probably makes me easier to live with.

I don't make any attempt to publicize my weblog and I don't care if anyone else finds it entertaining. It serves our purposes and that's enough for us.
Yes, maintaining a private online diary can be a legitimate purpose, but I think most of us relish the idea of being read (published). Even if our blogs amount to personal diaries/logs because they're virtually unknown, we usually have in the back of our minds the thought that others might read them. Otherwise, why put the things online? A decision to use the web could be a matter of convenient data storage, I suppose. I do the rant thing myself - occasionally - and it is a good spleen venter. Usually, a couple days later I delete those articles.

I like what David says about writing stuff that has technical merit - and putting the material out there for the point of educating/informing others rather than just providing entertainment. I like David's writing style because it's like Russian: minimal extraneous word clutter, and maxium information. I sometimes wish I could write like that. I'm genetically challenged to be verbose to a fault. Sometimes the Russian "Pass salt" is way more efficient than the verbose english - "Would you please be so kind as to pass the salt shaker down to me ..." The shorter stuff can often be the more attractive style ... it's the more work, less dancing philosophy.
__________________

__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles - The Umbrella Man.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailing With Cancer imagine2frolic The Sailor's Confessional 153 15-01-2015 20:01
Bill Dietrich Blog Has Moved onestepcsy37 General Sailing Forum 2 18-01-2012 20:37
Stunning Blog hoppy Off Topic Forum 64 06-11-2011 13:55



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.