Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58   #1

Location: i am living in haarlem holland and whe are livingin april 2008 to go to the med thru the canals of belgie and holland and france to finch in soud of france in and september and stay in the med for 4 jaers
Boat: dartsailor 38ft motor sailer from the dutch architect willem de vries lentch
Through the French Canals

Hi all
whe are a new meber of this forum in april whe are living holland and go for 5 jaer to the med the intention is to go tro the canals of Holland en Belgium and France tru Paris and if it is possble the canal de Bourgogne??
the dept from our ship is 1.5 m an than tru de la Rone andthan up to the canal du midi ending in carcassone and than back end looking for e place to stay fot te winter 2008
now the question is there samwane who have made te trip an can advice
regads Hans
hans stroomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welkom aan het forum, Hans.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but I did want to say "Hello".
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Hans. It's good to have you here.

Your plans to cruise through the canals of Holland, Belgium and France sound like heaven to me. That is one of the things I very much want to do before I die. I am waiting until the American dollar regains some of its lost purchasing power vis-a-vis the Euro, although I grow more dubious every day that that will ever happen.

Here's a link to a site I enjoy, and I'm sure there are others (perhaps in Dutch) that have more complete information. I believe there is a tunnel somewhere on the Burgundy Canal that restricts the size of vessel that can voyage beyond there, but I'm not sure of the average depth of the canal:

http://www.burgundy-canal.com/index.html

Again, welcome to the Forum. Keep us posted on your cruise.

TaoJones
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07   #4

Location: i am living in haarlem holland and whe are livingin april 2008 to go to the med thru the canals of belgie and holland and france to finch in soud of france in and september and stay in the med for 4 jaers
Boat: dartsailor 38ft motor sailer from the dutch architect willem de vries lentch
Hello hud
thats is ferry caint of you to whis mi welkom is there any chance that you are comming to europ in the near futers
regards Hans
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22   #5

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hey Tao
Don't wait. it won't happen. Go,Go,Go.

Steve
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06   #6

hello tao
thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the site as well this was new to my and yes don't wait for a dollar tho Com's down its wound happened for a long time so if you are healthy go for it
regards Hans
in the year 2009 i will Jone the emyr rally in turkey this mast be fantastic
Hans
Old 10-12-2007, 09:50   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstee View Post
Hey Tao
Don't wait. it won't happen. Go,Go,Go.

Steve
You're probably right, Steve, and I may well go for it next spring/early summer. I just have too many irons in the fire at the moment to say for certain.

Hans, here are another couple of sites that you may find useful. The first is an American couple who've been cruising the canals since January 2000:

Living on a converted barge in France

The second is an informative site for those interested in sailing the Med, and other parts of the European coast, by a sailor with a Dutch name:

JimB's sail Europe

Enjoy!

TaoJones
Old 10-12-2007, 10:51   #8

hallo Tao Jones t
hanks again for your support
in the year 2009 we will join the emyr rally is there SAM wan who have don this this yearwww.emyr.org
Hans
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans stroomberg View Post
Hello hud
thats is ferry caint of you to whis mi welkom is there any chance that you are comming to europ in the near futers
regards Hans
Hi, Hans.

No, unfortunately, I will not be coming to Europe any time soon, but I would love to travel to Holland sometime, because that's where my ancestors came from. Your plan of plying the canals sounds great. I have friends who chartered a canal barge in France and had the time of their lives.

I looked around the Internet a bit, and found this website, which has maps of the canals through France, from Le Havre to the Mediterranean near Arles. Canal and River Maps

It appears it might be possible to reach the Oise from Belgium.

All the best,

Tags
France