Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 22:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Those Simple Ideas Liveaboards Have to Improve Life

I realize that we as liveaboards are problem solvers, most of us start of by thinking we can purchase everything in yacht chandlers while in reality simple ideas work best, make life easier, are much more economic.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 23:11   #2

Re: Those Simple Ideas Liveaboards Have to Improve Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I realize that we as liveaboards are problem solvers, most of us start of by thinking we can purchase everything in yacht chandlers while in reality simple ideas work best, make life easier, are much more economic.
is there more?
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 01:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Sure there is so much more, sorry if it is not clear that I would like other liveaboards to contribute examples of their simle life improving ideas. Maybe I can start offering some. My wife asked me recently why I buy those litttle clips, I actually dont know if they are paperclips, black with two inox levers. She now knows why, i use them to keep food bags that are opened, like muestly, puree, parmesan cheese, cookies, coffee beans closed so the products stay fresh and gritters cant get at them. They have many other uses, as cloth pegs that dont break forst wind gust, to keep curtains in place, create more shadow in my already canvas covered cockpit. I don't know what I would do without hem!
Old 23-10-2015, 01:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

I could mention how my anchoring life has improved with changing from electrical to manual windlass combined with 20 kg Rocna anchor after years of Bruce, CQR, Danforth. it improves the singlehanded cruising, gunkholing so much. The eclectrical windlass. i had never had the power to complete the anchor retrieval when under thriving conditions.
Old 23-10-2015, 03:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
... My wife asked me recently why I buy those litttle clips, I actually dont know if they are paperclips, black with two inox levers ...

54 Uses For Binder Clips That Will Change Your Life
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevindanger/...-your-lif-555z

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 03:55   #6

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Using oil lamps instead of electric lights. Not really a new idea or anything but it drastically reduces the need for electricity and if it's chilly outside you get some extra heat from them.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 04:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

54 Uses For Binder Clips That Will Change Your Life
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevindanger/...-your-lif-555z

That's exactly it simple ideas liveaboard changing applications! Haha GordMay I am sure you got many more ideas up, or down your sleeves. Seriously you must have had and use that one simple and great idea that, binder clips aside, can upset our established liveaboard!
Old 23-10-2015, 04:27   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
Using oil lamps instead of electric lights. Not really a new idea or anything but it drastically reduces the need for electricity and if it's chilly outside you get some extra heat from them.

Indeed not new but very important to think about electricity on our boats. I personally use lead table lamps that can be repositioned to cover the area we need lit. I modified one which 220v battery gave up to a 4xAA battery lamp and the batteries last forever but freat light with 24 small leds eurolux fs125.
Old 23-10-2015, 05:24   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

This topic has a huge potential for interesting responses. I'll toss this one into the mix.

When I have an old cylindrical fender that no longer functions, I cut the ends off and slit it lengthwise to produce a tough rectangular pad that I can use for protection against chafe or form a cushioning mat. I also keep an old fender cut in half to slip over the propeller and foot of my outboard when I raise the foot at a shallow dinghy dock. This keeps my prop from damaging other inflatables or knocking against rocks.
Old 23-10-2015, 06:29   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This topic has a huge potential for interesting responses. I'll toss this one into the mix.

When I have an old cylindrical fender that no longer functions, I cut the ends off and slit it lengthwise to produce a tough rectangular pad that I can use for protection against chafe or form a cushioning mat. I also keep an old fender cut in half to slip over the propeller and foot of my outboard when I raise the foot at a shallow dinghy dock. This keeps my prop from damaging other inflatables or knocking against rocks.
Great tips!!
Old 23-10-2015, 07:04   #11
Marine Service Provider

Indeed Hudson Force great tip and I found these uses for fenders, not the prop protector is new to me. I keep cut half of fender to collect chain on deck if I need to pull chain of my second anchor on board. We need tips and I am sure we all will think lits of times after good tip, simple idea, why all those years as liveaboard didn't I think of that! Another tip, I keep small outboard 5hp of 20kg at all times pn my dinghy which is lifted flat out of water against my swimplatform on my 34 ft cat. It gas internal tank which I keep topped up at all times. It only takes dumping dinghy in water, jumping in abd pull cord to get going in a hurry in case of emergency. I have saved two kids, nr of boats dragging already! I have 4 meter aluminium dinghy great for river exploring and have also 15hp for it. I never go far without the two outboards and oars that fit in my oarlock.
Old 23-10-2015, 07:05   #12

Boat: Privilege 435

Here's a couple of tips for you;

When setting up a 12v DC lighting system for your live-aboard, toggle switches purchased at a chandlery are often functional but not pretty. Instead, consider these AC switches purchased at Home Depot for $2.48.

The single pole on/off switches work perfectly well with 12v DC. Don't buy the AC dimmers, lighted switches or anything fancy.

Also, everyone knows that these little wire connectors have no place on a boat...

..wrong! Keep a pack in your toolbox. When you open a tube of 5200 or silicone, glue or whatever, they are perfect for sealing the top. The internal screw will seal out the air.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 07:35   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Here's a couple of tips for you;

When setting up a 12v DC lighting system for your live-aboard, toggle switches purchased at a chandlery are often functional but not pretty. Instead, consider these AC switches purchased at Home Depot for $2.48.

The single pole on/off switches work perfectly well with 12v DC. Don't buy the AC dimmers, lighted switches or anything fancy.

Also, everyone knows that these little wire connectors have no place on a boat...

..wrong! Keep a pack in your toolbox. When you open a tube of 5200 or silicone, glue or whatever, they are perfect for sealing the top. The internal screw will seal out the air.
Good ideas. I think lots of people don't understand that an AC switch will work for DC and vice versa, as long as the switch power rating is adequate for the load.

I also keep a collection of those connectors (wire nuts) on board for another use. When installing new lights or other electrical stuff they are handy for temporarily connecting the wires for testing or just to keep the wires out of the way until you're ready do a proper, permanent connection.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 07:38   #14

Boat: Amel Sharki 39

Here are 89 Life Hacks That Will Make Your New Year So Much Better

Not really boat-specific but some sensible and novel ideas that could be useful onboard.
Boatbum540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 07:46   #15

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

Re. Fenders, Dinghy, non skid, Oh my,

If you have a fender that leaks I have filled them with expanding foam. It makes it pretty firm at first but useable but after time the foam will start to crumble and the fender will be more flexible.

Once I had an old inflatable dinghy that was well worn at the aft end of the pontoons. I got a syringe and injected "tool Dip" at a point where it leaked so I didnt make a new hole. Then I rolled the dink around to distribute the stuff, added a little air to force it into the leaks from the inside and let it harden. Voila.....

I once painted the inside of my anchor locker with truck bed liner. 2 coats. Just put it on with a roller. Easy. I could only find it in black but I looked at the company website and it is used on the decks of fishing boats and comes in other colors. I bought a gallon of white and it comes in a kit with the roller. I used it for my whole deck on my 32' sailboat. About 110.00 for the whole boat.
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard