Originally Posted by newhaul
I know this will sound bad but I never heard of emergel cleaner here in the US googled it and the only references
I can find are for in new Zealand
Do you have a reference with chemical makeup for me to cross to a product here. And no I don't sell anything except my labor I'm a retired shipwright.
Maybe they aren't allowed to sell it in the US?? Going back some years, three of us were discussing boats somewhere as you do. I was listening at this stage. One friend said that he was hauled out and another boat alongside had bad rust staining on the gel coat. That owner said that he would have to get it repainted.
My friend produced some Emergel and wiped it over part of the other persons hull
and the rust staining disappeared along with the need to repaint. It is very good at that and SS. Our Dr friend made the comment that Emergel containing Oxalic acid would kill you if you swallowed it.
Now that stuff is powerful and I have since used it very carefully washing
the work and hands carefully afterwards.
The only way I can describe it is that it looks something like that greasy hair cream that men
used to plaster their hair with. It's more jelly like and is an off white color. I imagine it is simply strong oxalic acid suspended in a gel.
The real danger
is probably someone accidentally swallowing it mistaking it for mayonnaise perhaps, if it had been put in the wrong container. I remember a man dying because he put weed killer in a drink bottle of some sort and took a swig later on, having forgotten it was weed killer.
That doesn't make it any less toxic.
I did have occasion to visit an emergency clinic a couple of years ago. I was working on the underside my boom and dripped a little Duralac on the cabin
top ( it was used on seaplane rivets etc) I couldn't wipe it off so I looked up the solvent which is white spirits. That is basically clear petrol or gasoline without any additives. I was sitting on the cabin
top wiping at the stain and I didn't realise white spirits was soaking into my jeans until it started chemical burning (not flames) the tender
portion of my backside. I went to emergency and they phoned the poisons hot line and treated it with saline solution. Slightly embarrassing but certainly painful. I had previously tried fresh water which made it more painful.
I'm only mentioning all this because some of the chemicals we use can be quite toxic and we should be aware.