Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 13:17   #1

Thinking about living aboard

So I have been considering living aboard but don't know where to start, I've looked at boats, crunched numbers, but I still feel lost. I'm 18 and love to sail, My uncle and grandfather both spent time living aboard but it was before I was born. I've been considering living aboard for the past 3 years and crunching numbers to see what it will take to make my dream come true. I won't be purchasing a boat till i'm in my early 20's (unless I stumble upon buried treasure). I plan to spend around 20-25k on my first boat but always looking for something below 20k.

My biggest questions/ concerns is how big of a boat should I get and what are some boats that make good liveaboards.

P.S. I'm interested in getting a sailboat so motorboat feedback, while I'm grateful for it, isn't what I'm looking for.

Thank You all for your time.
Illium117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:39   #2

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: Thinking about living aboard

I usually refer young people to youtube. Liveaboard is different from cruising though, so may want to specify. For example, I will be buying a catamaran shortly and living aboard while I continue to work. Won't cut dock lines for 5 years.

Wicked Salty and others...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zNWKZ7I-WQqZls

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thinking about living aboard

Hi... Welcome to CF.
Its possible to do it smaller.. I've done it.. but if that's your budget I'd opt for something like a Hunter 30 (Cherubini) or an old Catalina 30.. enough space to stand up and.. if you want.. 2-3 friends to stop over.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 14:45   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I never considered living aboard until I went cruising. It was less expensive and easier to live on land until I actually dropped the docklines and set sail.

In terms of size, I have had sailboats that were 22, 27, 32, and 39 feet long. I could have lived on any of them although the wife would not have been happy on the 22 and 27 footers.

For me, living on board starts at about 30 feet. My Westsail 32 was more than tolerable. It was comfortable.

Size for living aboard is a personal thing.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 14:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I was making similar plans at your age. I did finish some education for a decent career that allowed for some money and time for sailing. I was planning on pooling some money to share a boat with a friend, but that probably wouldn't have worked. As it turned out I met a young lady with matching funds and an extraordinary spirit. This was years before I had kissed the Blarney Stone, but I talked her into the whole life. Amazing good fortune for me, but you can pull it off with any number of other routes.

Boatman's recommended boats are excellent and common on the market. Keep these in mind, but don't limit your search other than focusing on a short list of definite criteria. Consider where you'll be cruising and some features that you desire.

For some of us this ends up as a "terminal condition". Keep us informed of your questions and adventures!
Old 16-02-2016, 15:51   #6

Boat: Sabre 28

I highly recommend doing it. There are lots of great deals on boats right now. I would not go below 28 feet. I currently have a sabre 28. I love it but its on the small side, I would say don't go too big too soon, get a smaller boat and do some cruising. find out what you like and go buy that after sailing and owning a boat for a while. The most important thing is go out and do it and keep learning.
icy decks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 15:59   #7

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welcome to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illium117 View Post
My biggest questions/ concerns is (A) how big of a boat should I get and (B) what are some boats that make good liveaboards.
A: the smallest boat you can comfortably live on.
B: the one you can afford to buy and maintain, and offers you whatever you consider to be important.
Old 16-02-2016, 16:08   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illium117 View Post
So I have been considering living aboard but don't know where to start, I've looked at boats, crunched numbers, but I still feel lost. I'm 18 and love to sail, My uncle and grandfather both spent time living aboard but it was before I was born. I've been considering living aboard for the past 3 years and crunching numbers to see what it will take to make my dream come true. I won't be purchasing a boat till i'm in my early 20's (unless I stumble upon buried treasure). I plan to spend around 20-25k on my first boat but always looking for something below 20k.

My biggest questions/ concerns is how big of a boat should I get and what are some boats that make good liveaboards.

P.S. I'm interested in getting a sailboat so motorboat feedback, while I'm grateful for it, isn't what I'm looking for.

Thank You all for your time.
Look for an older boat like a Grampian 30 or smaller like a grampian 28 (faster boat), you can easily get one of those for $15k or less. where you are located will dictate how winters will be. My wife and I did it for 5 years and loved it! it definitely less expensive than living on land, and can be a lot more fun! Don't spend too much "doing it up" until you've sailed for a season or two. concentrate on the things that make the boat liveable, like heating if you're in a colder part of the country! Keep in mind that first and foremost its a sailing machine not a floating condo!

It's lots of fun living aboard as long as you have the right attitude about it.

Most of all remember to get away from the dock as often as possible!
l
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 21:01   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Most of all remember to get away from the dock as often as possible!
l
This is great advice! We don't spread out when we're at a dock. We're not tempted to have storage units, dock boxes or other things not on the boat. We keep items on board prepared for sailing. When we leave a dock, we lay down one lamp on our pilot berth, we pivot one TV and place a pillow to it's side, remove one shore power cord and a few dock lines. We can always get underway at a whim in less time that it takes for our engine to warm.

I think being quick and easy with a departure for anytime sailing is very important!
Old 16-02-2016, 22:40   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Illium, and welcome to CF.

Your plan, your budget and your time scale all sound pretty well thought out, especially considering your age. i see no reason at all that you can't, in theory, realize those ambitions. I'm not a knee-jerk "go for it" type, but there is something about your post that makes me believe you may actually do what you are dreaming about!

So, advice from an old fart:

First, tell us where you are now located,and where you would like to be living aboard.
This will certainly influence what we might suggest to you... for instance, living aboard in the New England winter would be a no-starter for me, but we did so in the SF bay area without a problem. Weather does matter, and while some can survive happily on a boat in cold climates, I sure can't!

Tell us a bit more about your other life plans. Do you intend to pursue formal education aiming at a career of some sort, or are you more the type that just digs in and gets a job and learns on the go? That sort of consideration influences how living aboard might work out for you. For instance, if your employment requires business dress, life aboard a small boat becomes more difficult!

Another thing to consider is that in many areas, live aboard marina accommodations are hard to come by and expensive to maintain. Some marinas have minimum boat size for liveaboards (silly but true). Living aboard on the hook, or even in a mooring field when you are employed is a hardship in a great many ways. These impediments can really dig into your plans if not taken into account.

Finally, don't start getting concerned about what specific boat you should buy. Boats are so very personal... what's good for me may very well nauseate you, so our advice is only vaguely appropriate. What is helpful is to hang out around places where there are lots of boats... marinas, yacht clubs, that sort of spots. Get to know some active sailors and if possible, active live aboards. One excellent means of gaining access to other yotties is to spend some time in boatyards. Find some folks who are DIYing some jobs and offer to help... you will gain some friends and you will learn some boat knowledge for free. With the contacts you thus make, getting some sailing time on OPBs (other peoples boats) will help you learn what YOU like and aid your choices when time to buy rolls around. That said, remember that the first boat you buy will almost certainly not be the last, so choosing a type that is common and popular in your area will expedite things when it is time to change boats. Selling is a LOT harder than buying!

Enough blather! Have a think about all this crap, and if you have further questions, fire away... you'll get lots of advice here, some of which may be good!

Good luck, mate

JIm
Old 17-02-2016, 08:01   #11

A lot depends on where you live and how expensive the marina fees are going to be. Also, what do you get with your slip ? I am 6'3 and lived on my Nan-Tai (charter version of Tayana) that had 6'6" headroom and two heads. Very comfortable at 37' and great cockpit to entertain friends. If you are not planning on a long voyage right away, I would get an older boat that is fit and work on it while you get acquainted with the in and outs of the boat. Sailed from Buffalo,NY to Brisbane, Australia and loved it. Best time of my life. Go for it.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:06   #12

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

In my student days in Australia I investigated a liveaboard option as cheap place to live but never quite got around to it for another 40 years.
I'm still not full time liveaboard but now spend about half the year on a 37 footer.

At your age anything from 26 to 32 ft is quite doable for 1 or 2 people but you need to be very good friends or more.

I suggest you try something that is cheap and watertight but not up to anything more than a bit of coastal sailing so if you decide it is not your thing you can sell it for about the same you paid and chalk it up to experience.

If you decide it is the lifestyle you want you will learn a lot about sailing cheaply and can sell it and upgrade when you have the funds.
Old 17-02-2016, 08:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Illium and welcome to the forum.

A couple of others have mentioned this point and I agree. Like the old real estate agent saying, "location, location, location."

Some places living on a boat will be difficult and could be a lot more expensive than living in on land. Some places dock space for living aboard (legally) is limited and can have waiting lists for years in advance (parts of California are like this).

Size of the boat. Depends on you. I met two couples happily living on one 27' boat and I've met one couple that thought 40' was too small.

In general, much below 27-28' will be very cramped for most people but you have to make your own decision. If you are happy living in a small pup tent you might be OK with a smaller boat.

Don't forget you will have ongoing expenses for dock rent, electricity and boat maintenance.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your Grandfather and Uncle lived aboard?
I'd say talk to them, they are family. I bet your Grandfather would love to tell you about his experiences , and he may well know a thing or two.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:54   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Go for it. Depending on were you live Slip fees in a marina will be cheaper than rent. Dump the money you save info some good funds and you will be living large by age 45. The wife and I were discussing how if we knew we would have been living on a boat to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
living aboard