Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 01:28   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Things to get while in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I'm not too picky on food... I did however grow up in New Mexico so most Mexican food doesn't come close anyway. ;-)
Joy's in Espanola comes to mind as a good place to eat. The old (now defunct, I believe) Rio Grande cafe in Espanola was also pretty good.

Real (New) mexican food can only be had in the Espanola valley - the rest are merely imitation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:31   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Since it seems he's shooting down most of your ideas, how about this question as an alternative - Is there anything that theway could bring to the pacific islands that others might want? Could be good for bartering.
Combs, beads, mirrors?... maybe Tupperware? ( what was the name of that movie..)
Old 14-03-2017, 02:08   #18

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

I think that might be it... I am going single handed and I'm a pretty simple guy. Mostly wanted to hear about others experiences at that moment when they realized they missed something they could have acquired in a US port. The world is a smaller place now and much is to be had anywhere in the world really. But you definitely enlightened me to bring more things for giving. Thanks!!!

(I don't talked to many folks here that cruise so part of this is just to talk through the things I already know and possibly spark something I overlooked that maybe concealed by being obvious).
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:42   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I'm planning to leave Hawaii soon and was wondering if there's any specific things to order/get before I head south to the pacific islands... things that are easier or more available in Hawaii or online. Spares are the obvious, but I'd still like to hear any experience of "Damn I wish I got X when I had the chance."

If you need new electronics my experience was it was cheaper in the US than elsewhere, except for ssb maybe which seemed better price in Singapore. But compare say a Lowrance chart plotter price in the US (Defender or similar) to prices in Australia, for example this shop in AU:

https://www.whitworths.com.au

Note, some US sold Lowrance plotters are geo-locked to US area only, and once outside the plotter loses some functionality. So if you'd want to buy one in the US for use outside US you'd have to demand for a non geo-locked model. Price prob higher.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
If you need new electronics my experience was it was cheaper in the US than elsewhere, except for ssb maybe which seemed better price in Singapore. But compare say a Lowrance chart plotter price in the US (Defender or similar) to prices in Australia, for example this shop in AU:

https://www.whitworths.com.au

Note, some US sold Lowrance plotters are geo-locked to US area only, and once outside the plotter loses some functionality. So if you'd want to buy one in the US for use outside US you'd have to demand for a non geo-locked model. Price prob higher.

Right on, thanks.
I have a Garmin and a handheld. Plus iPhone with charts.
Old 14-03-2017, 03:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Anything light & bulky (toilet paper, potato chips, etc) that you habitually use.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 03:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Anything light & bulky (toilet paper, potato chips, etc) that you habitually use.

(Adds toilet paper to list)
Old 14-03-2017, 04:02   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Limes? Rumor has it they're pretty dear in some places. Other than that, buy 20 of everything you'd find in a Duty Free store. You know, smokes, liquor, tobacco... And what about Playboy (the magazine)? Acceptable "gifts" or no?

The extra med's, & 1st Aid supplies sounds like a smart one too.

Jim, you against DIY tortillas? Since as of last check, the recipe weren't too overly complex. And you can grind your own ingredients, non?
As to the Cheese Whiz, skip it, & go straight to the canned "Whipped Cream". There's more types of recreation per can

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:57   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Cheez Wizz ... I believe that is to North Americans what Vegemite and TimTams are to Australians.

Please dispel the myth that cheese whiz is culturaly important to all Americans. Cheese Whiz is an abomination!
Old 14-03-2017, 05:20   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

Please dispel the myth that cheese whiz is culturaly important to all Americans. Cheese Whiz is an abomination!
Wikipedia, of course, will tell you differently. But Cheez Whiz was developed early in the Cold War by some "off color" scientists, who held out deep in some caverns in the Alsace-Loraine, after WW II. In a (failed?) attempt to derail the US Space program. Though this knowledge has only come to light recently, due to certain other scientists involvements in a now semi-defunct X-letter agency's connections with the Space Shuttle fleet.

Let's just say that under certain temperatures & pressures, Cheez Whiz makes a marvelous "industrial adhesive". Albeit one with a rather tempermental (read spotty) lifespan.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Good reading material is hard to find elsewhere: marina book exchanges are usually a poor show, unless you like trash romance. Bring as many books as your boat will hold.
If any device runs on AA or AAA batteries, load up on those, vaccuum bag them with dessicant, and keep them dry.
Foods that don't expire: rice and pasta and quinoa, will be WAY cheaper 'stateside than in the South Pacific. And candy: can one have too many Skittles, M&Ms and Starbursts?
Popcorn.
Soy sauce.
Olive oil.
Nuts (peanuts, cashews, almonds) are hard to find in bulk elsewhere as well.
If you have a propane stove and will be using it a lot, bring whatever spares there are for that--the constant high heat fostered rust on the burner tops and pot grating of ours.
If soccer balls are out of the budget, pens are a big hit among island kids--school supplies can be scarce the island groups I've been to.
Happy travels!
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:29   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Cheese whiz. You would really eat this crap?
It doesn't even contain cheese!

The reason why the western world is dying by heart attack, diabetes and obesity is exactly because of poisons like this utter garbage.

Quote:

As of 2016, Kraft describes Cheez Whiz as a "cheese dip" with the word "cheese" spelled correctly. The ingredients list contains "cheese culture" but does not, according to Kraft, actually contain any "cheese":[3]

“ Ingredients: Whey, Milk, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains Less Than 2% Of Modified Food Starch, Salt, Lactic Acid, Whey Protein Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices (Contains Celery), Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid As A Preservative, Color Added, Cheese Culture, Enzymes, Natural Flavor[3]
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:34   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

My friends, Tony and Gail Wessendorff, whom I sold their Cheoy Lee 53 Motorsailer too are in the S. Pacific and did a wonder presentation on the trip. One of the things they talked about was how expensive it was to get parts there, so yes bring all the boat parts you can, but one of the best things I thought they brought with them were soccer balls for the kids.
They have a great blog also and would be glad for you to communicate with them if you wanted to:
SailBlog
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:20   #29

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If you aren't already familiar with the diverse, first-hand knowledge documented by the crew of SV Soggy Paws, it will be to your advantage to peruse their free offerings.

You will not only fine sailing directions and great insights combined with local knowledge, but even price schedules from the grocery stores...

Wishing you a great voyage.

Cheers! Bill
Old 14-03-2017, 09:23   #30

Boat: Pearson

Don t know about hawaii, but in bahamas and the islands monmfillament fishing line 15-25 lb. test will keep you eating if you dont catch anything, trade to local fisherman. egg sinkers 1-4 oz is good hooks 1-3 work too. doesnt have to be top shelf mono, but it sure creates a toothy smile.. good luck