Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 05:11   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
There are Different Types of Live-a-boards

But do the different types of live-a-boards have very defining names and should live-a-board discussions be split as to the type?

There's the stereotypical "live" aboard that is attached to a dock for years at a time. They very rarely venture out. Someone, in a post within this site just lately referred to these as "static" live-a-board.

I'm sure there are live-a-boards that stays in one place for a month or so, then moves to another marina for a month or so. I'm thinking of doing something like this myself. Staying in a marina long enough to get a monthly rate(as opposed to transient rate. I don't know if a descriptive name applies to these type live-a-boards.

There are live-a-boards that are almost constantly moving, but stopping along the way for a short period here and there.

Then there are the wanderers that rarely ever dock in a marina. Maybe these are "dynamic", live-a-boards?

Virtually all aspects of living on a boat is no doubt radically different depending on the type of sailing one does.

But, in discussions, comparisons seem to always be made across the wide spectrum of types of live-a-boards, even though the live-a-board situations are often worlds apart regarding . . . well . . . almost everything.

Are there actually specific, descriptive names for the different types of live-a-boards?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:18   #2

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I here the term for never or rarely sailing, as Dock Queen. Trying not to fit that title.
Old 26-11-2012, 06:41   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: There are different types of Live-a-boards

I tend to use live-aboard for a thing that is like a mobile home on water, cruiser for one that can still sail or power between locations and a sailing boat for a boat that can actually sail. Things may overlap sure.

However, in CF context, I am not sure labels count as the kind of pursued adventure is often given by the OP in their very first post or else very soon afterwards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 07:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

why is it that some people allways feel the need to put a lable on every thing!

i belive this is one of the side effects of the of the socio-economic materialistic nightmare the western world has built since the dawn of the industrial revoloution......

if only people would see it as,..........i sail,therefore i am.............a sailor......,and leave the materialistic ******** for the dirt dwellers...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 10:26   #5

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

i belive this is one of the side effects of the of the socio-economic materialistic nightmare the western world has built since the dawn of the industrial revoloution......

if only people would see it as,..........i sail,therefore i am.............a sailor......,and leave the materialistic ******** for the dirt dwellers...........
Agreed........agreed..........AGREED! Well said sir.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:01   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Are you labelling folks as socio-economic materialistic nightmares?

FWIW, I get the feeling that some are kinda stuck in living (or dreaming about?) a past Cruising era and style that perhaps never really existed outside the written word, or if it did only for a very few. and only occassionally. I think they be called "Real Kruizers" ......easily identified by a tendency to look down on folks who haven't missed out on what the rest of life and the modern world has had to offer over umpteen years / decades (insert length of own cruising life) - and particular disdain offered to those who have actually done very nicely and more often than not quite happily in the modern world .........and are not looking for a new life, as quite happy with the one lived.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Once put into the 'correct' box one then knows how to 'deal' with the person... Problem is., most of us don't fit into the same box all the time. But stereotyping folks is easier than having to keep an open mind an all that thinking and learning that goes with the territory.

Hope my response doesn't come off as harsh and mean..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

quote "david"

Are you labelling folks as socio-economic materialistic nightmares?

i would call it more of a syndrome,than a lable,

true zen is achieved as a sailor once you realise how little you need to "be" on the water,
my first "boat" was a scaffolding plank i found washed up on a beach at age 6!
my first crew was my 4 year old brother,
together we explored foreign shores and islands on a lake in sweden!

a year later we became liveaboards when we built a raft out of drums , planks, errected a mast and tent so we could spend weekends onboard!

funny thing is that years later i still get that same feeling of peace and tranquility on cutting ties with land on my half million dollar yacht,as i did on my raft setting out on a new voyage of discovery!

some people just don't get what sailing is really about
Old 26-11-2012, 11:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Some are defined by where they are liveaboard/cruising. Descriptors like circumnavigator, gunkholer and snowbird come to mind. We're gunkholing latitude cruisers, somewhat like the snowbirds, but our homeport is in the Southeast US so we are motivated by the hurricanes and not the snow. There is a very large liveaboard community that migrates from New England or the Chesapeake to Florida or islands south with the seasons. I don't hear of as much of this latitude seasonally crusing liveaboards elsewhere. Is this happening on the US Pacific Coast?.....Northern Europe to the Med?....... Southern Australia to points north?
Old 26-11-2012, 11:38   #10

Boat: OEM, proportional

Yo, atoll, glad to hear of your sailing philosophy! Gotta nifty fourmasted motorsailer here, she really goes, planes easily, amazing fuel economy, flush decked, a real square deal....wanna swap?

Old 26-11-2012, 11:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Yo, atoll, glad to hear of your sailing philosophy! Gotta nifty fourmasted motorsailer here, she really goes, planes easily, amazing fuel economy, flush decked, a real square deal....wanna swap?

that is exactly what i mean!

you take a perfectly good 4 masted vessel and put a noisy,gas guzzling motor on it........and immediatly get youself labled as a "show off!",instead of the "nutcase on an upturned table".................

i have seen similar things launched off the beach in brazil,with massive rigs on them,that are called "jangadas"(or something to that effect),and nobody tries to lable them other than fishermen or sailors..............
Old 26-11-2012, 12:00   #12

Re: There are Different Types of Live-a-boards

I'm sorry; my sail was in the wash. I spilt ketchup on it as I was eating dinner, before I capsized....
Old 26-11-2012, 12:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
I'm sorry; my sail was in the wash. I spilt ketchup on it as I was eating dinner, before I capsized....
lucky you had an engine....otherwise you really would have been "up **** creek without a paddle"...............
Old 26-11-2012, 12:13   #14

Yes, things, no matter how bad they look, can always get worse. The tender is a barbed wire canoe....
Old 26-11-2012, 12:23   #15

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hey atoll, I think we had the same childhood, I still carry the scars from my home built rafts that my brother and I launched every spring when the ice finally got thin enough to fall through it. And you are right, I get the same feeling of adventure for that, as I do for going half way around the world, on a boat, in fact it was more fun, less to worry about.