Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 23:19   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30
the things you see on the dock .....

before i start off i live on a mooring so my knot work is somthing i take pride in ,,, i apologize

if you cant tie knots just tie lots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG2290.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	162357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG2288.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	162358  

Name:	IMG2277.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	162359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG2292.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	162360  

Name:	IMG2282.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	162361  
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 23:55   #2

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: the things you see on the dock .....

one must do something with the excess line, I just wrap it around the cleat on the dock or coil it and hang it on the boat cleat.
Old 16-01-2018, 00:16   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This is what I usually do

https://goo.gl/images/2HoUdj

https://goo.gl/images/MXYuJ3
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 00:19   #4

yeah a proper cleat knot
Old 16-01-2018, 00:21   #5

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG2286.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	162366  
Old 16-01-2018, 01:46   #6

Not ship shape and Bristol fashion but not horrid. Really need some context to say if it's really a problem:

- Upper left: My bigger issue is the size of the cleat (assuming the rope isn't oversized for the boat). This one is probably the biggest concern in that it could easily come off but if it's a calm day and they are just 10 minutes to buy something at the gas dock store, not a big concern.
- Assuming it's a permanent slip, people often tie off lines permanently on the dock. Kind of ugly but not likely to fail.
- Middle left: Looks like they coiled the excess line around the cleat. 2 seconds to unwind. Not pretty but functional.
- Middle right: I can't really see clearly but it appears to be cleated off properly and with a short tail, not worth doing anything with it. Maybe you can get a better picture to show the concern.
- Bottom left: Looks like they started correct and then did something odd to take up the remainder of the line. If it's a permanently placed line, no big deal.

Yeah, properly cleating off with a nice flemish coil looks and functions great but I've seen a lot worse than these pictures.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 07:15   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

That first pic is perfectly justified for a short-term tie-up. Far better to pass the eye to the person on the dock and do things the way you want on board.

I tend to look more at the overall line lay-out. The number and length of lines, use of springs, etc. can tell you more about how much the owner understands the forces on their boat than how it's cleated off.

I'm not unduly impressed with flemishing. Grated, for short term it looks neat and ship-shape, but for long term it seems to catch dirt and debris, which isn't good for the line. I'm just as happy with a bit of a jumble that's easy to undo, as long as it's out of the way.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:16   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That first pic is perfectly justified for a short-term tie-up. Far better to pass the eye to the person on the dock and do things the way you want on board.

I tend to look more at the overall line lay-out. The number and length of lines, use of springs, etc. can tell you more about how much the owner understands the forces on their boat than how it's cleated off.

I'm not unduly impressed with flemishing. Grated, for short term it looks neat and ship-shape, but for long term it seems to catch dirt and debris, which isn't good for the line. I'm just as happy with a bit of a jumble that's easy to undo, as long as it's out of the way.
I only flemish excess line on deck. It will stay put at better than 20 degrees of heel, I've found.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:17   #9

Boat: Dufour 40

"before i start off i live on a mooring so my knot work is somthing i take pride in ,,, i apologize"

if you cant tie knots just tie lots"

Before I start, my first language is English, so correct use of capitals and punctuation is something I take pride in.

We each have our own foibles.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:19   #10

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I agree with Valhalla360 and CptTom.

I take all my lines from the boat, through the cleats' eye and then back to the boat when moored for a while so its easier to cast off standing on the deck. All the springs are however taken to the cleat on the pontoon and secured, 1 circle, 2 twist to lock and left tidy. The springs come off by the crew who step on and release the looped back lines. Sometimes we take the fore and aft loops and return them to a pontoon as springs but always 1 turn and 2 twists + tidy. If there is a storm coming we double up and put the ropes through the first onboard cleat to the opposite side. If that makes sense as I've described it.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: the things you see on the dock .....

First picture.. man that's one sad cleat..
As for fore and aft lines.. I never take them through the eye.. to much chance of chaff.. its around once a full 360 before it goes back to the boat to be tied off.. just a half loop is not secure enough for me.. all it needs when leaving is a quick circular flick to free it when you leave.
Springs are an eye 360'd then adjusted and tied off on deck... the less mess on the pontoon the better.
Oh.. and excess line if more than a couple of feet is not 'cheesed'.. its coiled and hung on the lifelines.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:54   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423

In my view excess line should be back on the boat. Too much line on the dock/pontoon is a trip hazard. Too much line on the cleat is time consuming to untie and probably makes the cleat unusable for anybody else that needs it. (And it looks like c**p )
breezydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:06   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
We have river otters around here.
To a river otter, that's a toilet.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:34   #14

Boat: Frers 33

In our YC harbour it can get a little rock & roll with an E or SE wind, so we have rules which are enforced: Nobody has the right to have their poorly attached boat break loose and damage their neighbour’s boats.

Minimum= bow & stern lines & 2 springs - all must be chained to the dock, shackes locked with wire.

After 2nd offence, the YC puts it right and charges the boat owner for hardware, lines & employee time.
Foredeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 10:29   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
before i start off i live on a mooring so my knot work is somthing i take pride in ,,, i apologize

if you cant tie knots just tie lots
I was in the film industry for a couple of decades, starting out as an assistant cameraman. In that role my job was to load film in the magazines and put camera tape on each mag clearly labelled as to film stock, ASA, roll #, production, etc. Early in my career I was not very particular about the neatness of the way the tape was put on and labelled. I figured all the info was there what's the problem? A top 1st AC from NYC set me straight. He said if you're sloppy with this simple thing then that tells me you're also sloppy with more critical things. If you want me to trust you (and hire you again) then you have to be professional with everything you do. I apply that same evaluation to how someone secures their vessel, dock line to a cleat being the most common. If you don't know or don't care how to do this very basic, simple task then what else do you not know or not care about? In addition, however you secure your boat, the idea is to make it easily and quickly detachable. What if a vessel sitting next to you at the fuel dock catches on fire? What if a captain loses control of his boat upwind and up current from you and is now descending on your precious baby with 20 tons of momentum? Other posters are also correct in that you should strive to not create another trip hazard on the dock or to eliminate someone else's use of a particular tie off point. There, that's my two half hitches worth.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock