Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2008, 07:37   #31

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
ssullivan,
Time to think out of the box. You have been asking questions to get different views so here are some things I thought of but I can not be specific about your particular location.

This is not out of the box thinking. I know here in St. Aug. anchoring downtown and paying for the dingy dock will permit showering at the City Marina. Yes, a mooring field is coming. When, I do not know. Parking is free from 6 P.M.(?) to about 7 A.M. Anchoring in Salt Run, the parking is free. No showers are available but what about a salt water shower onboard? Have you checked out all the coves in the area?
I know when I took my motorcycle trips, my wife could only take a 2 week vacation even though she was entitled to 3 weeks. It took me a long time to come up with the idea to fly her into the area in which we wanted to sight see. She flew into and out of Bangor, Maine when we cycled around Nova Scotia. I know there is a National Park around Bar Harbour. I think there are camping facilities. She spent 10 days on the back of the motorcycle. We did the same type of thing when we visited Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. She fly into Phoenix and out of Alberque, New Mexico.Flying in and out of different locations was a big leap for us. We could of just decided not to do the trip. It would have been a whole lot easier.
Have you PM LinnetWoods? She is floating around the Med. I saw a couple of her posts. Keep thinking about your goal. You and your wife will come up with a solution.
John

Old 28-06-2008, 08:18   #32
cruiser

Thank you very much for the thoughts, John.

There are lots of options, you're right. I am just coming down to the end of the barrel of them.

We have crewing and doing boat work at this point as options.

The part about the state park (Acadia Nat Park) is interesting, but here's what happens:

You can live free on a boat in many *many* places. No question about it. But... you to be where there is a lot of work and a lot of people in order to make the money. Thus, the two are mutually exclusive. You can't live for free on the boat in a nat park because there is no work. You can't live for free in the city because you start to incur expenses. Interesting little catch-22.

Thank you for the advice and input. I think we are leaning toward crewing a while to see if we can get somewhere (anywhere) in life. It's been a long, long uphill battle for us in the $$ dept, and we've been working like dogs since we were children toward that end. We're getting older... we're getting tired. lol

Old 28-06-2008, 09:56   #33

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Sean,
I am older. I envy you for what you are doing and the time you have to do it. I remember when the Vigin Islands were vacant and inexpensive. Now of course they are very expensive. Cruise lines are buying the smaller islands for their guests entertainment. When we moved to St. Augustine, you could pick where you wanted to anchor. Jobs were low paying because you lived in paradise and the employers could not afford more. Now you have to find and place to anchor and the wages have gone up but not as high as New York City. I remember Bar Harbour as being small and local tour agencies selling tickets to tourists for whale watching or day sails. I mentioned the Nat Park as a place where there seemed to be areas to anchor but not to far away from possible places to work. I do not remember the distances between the Park and surrounding towns. Bar Harbour might have boat related work. I do not know if other coastal towns in Maine would permit you to pursue your dream. I thought I was also out of options. It is amazing how roads open up if you continue to think out of the box. Have you written an article about your Florida to Maine adventure? How about pictures you took along the route? Are they of post card quality? Could you use them to promote businesses in different locations. Would stores in different towns carry them so you could make a living? There is a couple that live in Nassau that work aboard one of the mega yachts and are refurbishing their Allied Princess. So what you envision is possible. What are other options that will fulfill you and your wife's dream? Just keep on thinking.
Respectfully,
John
Old 28-06-2008, 10:06   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sean, if I recall (still kinda new here) you're about my age (early or mid 30's?), healthy, smart, educated, American, with a similarly young and healthy wife. Your principle complaint is that you're not rich too (just trying to help put things in perspective). By many other people's perspectives, you already 'have it all'. Enjoy it, for crying out loud!

Hopefully, this is taken in the friendly, encouraging manner meant.
Old 28-06-2008, 13:16   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Sean, if I recall (still kinda new here) you're about my age (early or mid 30's?), healthy, smart, educated, American, with a similarly young and healthy wife. Your principle complaint is that you're not rich too (just trying to help put things in perspective). By many other people's perspectives, you already 'have it all'. Enjoy it, for crying out loud!

Hopefully, this is taken in the friendly, encouraging manner meant.
I appreciate the encouraging post. However, as it applies to the purpose of this forum, you can't cruise without the $$. Plain and simple. I'm stuck when it comes to the site's theme.

I don't mind being poor - I just want the freedom to cruise. Can't seem to get enough money even to do that at the poorest "entry level."

Scallywag: I'll try and do as you say... just keep plugging along and thinking outside the box. Thanks!
Old 28-06-2008, 13:29   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
... It is amazing how roads open up if you continue to think out of the box.
... Just keep on thinking.
Respectfully,John

Thinking is certainly the key to problem-solving.
Thinking “outside of the box” is certainly the opening gambit in any “brainstorming” session; which is followed by a critical analysis of the free-thinking ideas, without which those ideas are merely “off the wall”.
I’m not noted for creative thinking, but have noticed that the best creative genius’ seem to understand and know “the box” very well.
You have to know exactly where the "edge" is, to be able to successfully walk it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 13:34   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Sean:

I must say I have been impressed with the way that you have saved money when you were on land. In the current economy people are looking for ways to get extra money. One way I have seen other people do this is by renting out a room in there house. If you could offer someone a couple hundred bucks a month for a room and a place to park a car and the occasional shower that might work. Single moms, empty nesters, people on a fixed income. From what I know about you Sean you will find a way whether it is mega yachts or making it work in ME. Congrats in advance for figuring it out.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: