Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 09:35   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
So you have to be 1 mile IN to anchor? Out side the 1 mile rad but for how far? Is there any place towards key west to anchor? Was planning of going BUT MAYBE not after reading about all these freaken problems! I don't care about checking the fort out, just wanted to live and fish some! GEEZ!!
I suggest you read the rules at:

Dry Tortugas National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:01   #32

Boat: O'Day 302
The parks own literature indicates you CAN anchor in sand only, but not overnight unless in a 1 mile radius of the fort. No anchoring in the RNA, but that's only the western half.

National Parks passes get you admission, or you can just say you forgot yours on the boat...

You can fish within a 1 mile radius of the fort. The southern boundary of the park is only a few miles from the anchorage and in only about 30' of water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2780107915.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	72643

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2761863635.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	72644
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:25   #33
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
From Marathon to the Tortugas is about the same distance as Marathon to Bimini. Go to Bimini.
w
can't no passport.
the one mile rule. What if I'm anchored 5 miles away?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:28   #34

Boat: O'Day 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
can't no passport. the one mile rule. What if I'm anchored 5 miles away?
Can we change the thread title to "The idiots in charge of this thread?"
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 14:12   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You can't just put in mooring balls, even if your name is Obama.

First you have to do an engineering study.
Then an environmental impact study.
Then submit a request for quotes.
Then maybe you can install the anchors for the balls (one contract)
and the balls (second contract, more bids and quotes)
And now you need another round of bids for the contract to annually inspect and maintain them.
Oh, and someone needs to have the free time ti supervise all that.
And deal with the flack from the environmentalists who will protest it, at every step of the way.

That's a whole lot of fuss for some gummint employee who probably is already underpaid and overworked. Or vice versa.

Way way simpler to just pass anchoring regulations.

So if you want to change it, you have to go up against all that. Put up an online petition, make noise to boating organizations, write a congresscritter, get ten thousand signatures someplace, and show them in certain terms how installing mooring balls will:

1-Absolutely pay for itself
2-Permanently benefit the park.

Personally, I think a nice pub with Guinness on tap and a concession for some good steaks might pay off faster. I'd be afraid the mooring balls would encourage the Budweiser Boaters.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 01:44   #36
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
Can we change the thread title to "The idiots in charge of this thread?"
For bahamas not DT, yes when anchoring within park boudrys, not forever, ha. YOU can anchor lots of places in the day. only at night 1 mile fro light house. Rules are clear on the park site
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 18:23   #37
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

The park sure has changed over the years. 30 +- years ago when I first went there You could anchor anywhere with sandy bottom.we'd hang an anchor off the bow and stern and be able to step ashore without getting your shorts wet on east loggerhead

Loggerhead was staffed by biologists studying the marine and shore life. We had dinner with them several times and sometimes would fish with them off the dock. There was free high quality snorkeling gear loaned out on the honor system. The remoteness of the park keeps most armchair sailors away.

Good fishing is still available on the east side of the park around pulaski shoals and the whole general area around the park has long been providing florida longliners with large catches.

Yes having the govt do anything takes more than it should, but the idea of the parks are to provide access to the areas in a way that is the least harmful to the environment, not to simply make it off limits to the populace. If they can keep sticking bricks onto the crumbling fort they can afford to upkeep mooring balls. Its an aquatic park after all. The fort is just an eyesore,

Im looking forward this spring to fishing an area 40 mi to the west called the florida trenches. Outstanding bottom contour, current meeting ledges, everything looking like a place I want to drag lures over.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 06:58   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True... but revenue is.. show them what can be gained with fixed moorings in assorted prime locations and promotion to encourage cruisers with $$'s to spend locally..
Phil, you've clearly never been to the DTs . There's nothing to spend anything on there -- they are almost totally wild - no businesses of any kind. Which is their appeal. Now if we could just find a way to torpedo the day tripper boats as they come over the horizon . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 07:34   #39

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
---
Its an aquatic park after all. The fort is just an eyesore ---
I guess that explains why the Marquesa keys have so many more visitors than the Dry Tortugas?
Old 25-12-2013, 07:52   #40

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True... but revenue is.. show them what can be gained with fixed moorings in assorted prime locations and promotion to encourage cruisers with $$'s to spend locally..
That's a good idea for the more commercialized areas, but of course the Tortugas have no concessions, no water, no business, etc. I think it's probably a good thing to slow the traffic a little, even though to some it would seem like heavy handed gov't exclusion on no basis or fiat/whim. Like the other poster noted, humans in large quantities would probably destroy the place. The fish aren't the legislator's constituents, of course, so it's hard to know what to do (or not). I think this is happening with all of the so called international maritime sanctuaries. All species are welcome except homo sapien. Homo sapien does the most damage. I'm torn between the green in me and the explorer in me. Some gov'ts mindsets would eliminate the explorers. Some exploration is great, but at some point the shear weight of humankind smashes the ecosystem. On the other hand, the fish are not the constituents.
Old 25-12-2013, 08:29   #41

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I guess that explains why the Marquesa keys have so many more visitors than the Dry Tortugas?
I think the shorter distance is the real reason. That can be a TOUGH
slog back to "civilization."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 09:21   #42

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I think the shorter distance is the real reason. That can be a TOUGH
slog back to "civilization."
Let me guess. You've never been to the Dry Tortugas?
My sarcastic comment was trying to indicate that more people visit the Dry Tortugas (because of the Fort) rather than visit the neighboring Marquesa keys, which are pretty much in a natural state.
Or are you talking about the extra 40 miles or so back to Key West lol?
Old 25-12-2013, 09:38   #43

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I don't think the government action (or inaction) is the result of any bureaucratic process. They're broke, and that derails all the processes. But - on a side note - does anyone think they should recommission the Rebecca Shoals beacon? Couldn't be too much more than a dime for gov't to prop it up a little?
Old 25-12-2013, 12:42   #44

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Phil, you've clearly never been to the DTs . There's nothing to spend anything on there -- they are almost totally wild - no businesses of any kind. Which is their appeal. Now if we could just find a way to torpedo the day tripper boats as they come over the horizon . . .
Not sure when you were in DT but there is a nice gift shop run by park service volunteers, they sell books, maps, posters, t-shirts and hats and more. The fast boat from Key West sells a nice buffet lunch, ice, water, and sodas. If you speak to the captain of the fast boat you can make arrangements for delivery of normal items from Key West. The fast boat guys will also pick up parts if you need to make repairs. While the buffet is a bargain at $US7.00 for all you can eat and drink and sodas are $US1.00 which is not bad the ice expensive, but worth if if you need it.

While there are composting heads on shore they are closed when the fast boat arrives and you are required to use the air conditioned heads on the fast boat. The fast boat also provides free recycled and solar heated fresh water showers for everyone visiting the island. The fast boat has a contract with the park service to provide these and other services for access to DT.

I was quite pleased with the fast boat captain who was quite friendly and provided me with the most up to date weather and sea conditions and by listening to his advice I was able to cross from DT to the Marquesas in 10-12kn following winds and maybe 2 foot seas.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 14:56   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Let me guess. You've never been to the Dry Tortugas?
My sarcastic comment was trying to indicate that more people visit the Dry Tortugas (because of the Fort) rather than visit the neighboring Marquesa keys, which are pretty much in a natural state.
Or are you talking about the extra 40 miles or so back to Key West lol?
Nah, Mike. I've been there. I didn't snap on the sarcasm. I figured in the many years since my visit, perhaps the Bud crew had ventured out that far. Shoulda known better.

Ca 1980, I stayed out there alone (except for the shrimpers) for a good bit till I ran low on water. 20' wooden boat, over canvassed, tough ride back blowing the usual 25, at least.

No nothin out there then. Except lobsters and groupers.

Ran outa butta too.

The geography will keep the marina sailors away.

Suits me fine as I'm on the way back.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry tortugas