Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 10:41   #16

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: The House is on the Market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don,

you know the ones for sale with stuff still in the fridge and clothes in the lockers

Pete
Hay! That's the way I'm selling my house!

(WHAT is that green stuff, anyway???)
Old 25-02-2011, 10:44   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

good idea about moving into a mobile home. we have downsized twice into smaller apartments and still not totally prepared .. but moving aboard next month anyway
Old 25-02-2011, 11:00   #18

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Don- here's my take on the Boardwalk. If I were living aboard, I would choose other locations. It is noisy on weekends, your boat gets dirtier because of the proximity to the bridge and the facilities while clean and maintained are not luxurious. On the plus side, if you have a deeper draft the closer proximity to the bay is a bonus. (cuts 2 hours of motoring off our sail time from our previous marina). The staff is friendly enough and for us the close proximity to our house and the Boardwalk ( we have kids and often kids friends) works.

We would have been at Seabrook had they had a slip our size when we were ready to move. In the end, BW works out better for us just now but when we are living aboard, it will be less than ideal.

I;ve got a couple of hours on Monday. I can reasonably look at 3. Email me your favorites and I'll give you my contact info so you can call the brokers before hand, introduce yourself and tell them I am taking a peek for you.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 11:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
good idea about moving into a mobile home. we have downsized twice into smaller apartments and still not totally prepared .. but moving aboard next month anyway
Go! The trailer is because I have a tight budget untill I get aboard. And I have a few places I have to go before I get a boat. Some are not near the water (N. Dakota for one.) The trailer will be very temporary, and will hold my tools and junk until the boat. Besides, it gives me an incentive to get the boat ready. Boy, I'll have all that room!
Old 25-02-2011, 12:29   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Right now the plan is, sell the house, etc. and get on the road. First stop Corpus Christi, Large number of boats for sale in the Padre Island/Corpus area. No luck? Move on to Galveston bay, again, large numbers of boats, plus a large bay to hone my skills before following the coast to Ft. Myers and into the trans-Florida Canal, Up the East coast to Chesapeake Bay. I expect to arrive in the Chesapeake Bay in June 2012. Or I could skip the whole Texas thing and go straight to Maryland and find a boat there (I have a line on a 37' Tartan that really looks good.)
I think an excellent idea with the trailer - removes pressure to buy from renting expensive accomadation and allows you to easily move between where the boats are And having boots on the ground and getting a little bit known in person is better than internet for sniffing out bargains / deals. Could allow you to save a fortune in time later (and money) - by not talking yourself into buying the best of a so so bunch because money in pocket and fed up with renting / or being stuck in the wrong place.

I wouldn't be shy about looking above your budget either. and offering low. You only need one to say a yes, and if you offend others - then just cross 'em off your Xmas card list

Looking forward to the searching thread Lots of pics please If you don't come back with at least 50 pics (including in the bilges ), you will likely have missed something that you later want to think about. In your shoes I would tuck 'em in Phtobucket (folders by boat) and then pick those for CF.com as needed.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 12:50   #21

DOJ- I'm going to take my camera when I go peek for Don and he will have PLENTY of photos of interesting things like bilges, engines, plumbing connections and other scintillating subjects.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:06   #22

Ohhh, Bilges, I can't wait. Just remember my daughter may see them, so keep 'em clean!
Old 28-02-2011, 18:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
DOJ- I'm going to take my camera when I go peek for Don and he will have PLENTY of photos of interesting things like bilges, engines, plumbing connections and other scintillating subjects.
I have received 21 pictures and they look like some work bout only normal neglect, not extended neglect. The brightwork on the outside looks like it needs some attention and the hatch covers could use some paint.

I need to slow down though, I still haven't been able to show the house because of the weather here (can't have a garage sale in the rain.) But next Saturday looks good. I need to sell some stuff off that is crowding the rooms. A Desk and some file cabinets mostly.But I am working hard at it and I should be ready by Saturday to start showing the house.

I will be needing a Surveyor in Kemah, Texas so if anybody knows one chime in.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44   #24

Re: The House is on the Market !

Don- I recommend Paul Fannin for a surveyor. We used him for 2 boats as his sample reports were the only ones of the 4 who met with my husband , The-World's-Most-Detailed-Engineer-Ever 's requirements of a thorough survey.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51   #25

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Don, let me know when you make it to the Chesapeake, and we'll share a sundowner.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:55   #26

I bought a trailer today. 19'. It's sooo cute, just like a little boat, with wheels.

It has a galley, head, shower and bed, what more could a man want? It actually has more room inside than a typical 40' sail boat. It should help get me in the right frame of mind. Also now I can keep working for a while after my house sells. I have a place to live with hot & cold running water, A/C, heat, Refrigerator, and TV. It's also less than 5 years old and looks new.

Step 2, complete. Now all I have to do is sell three motorcycles and a house.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:10   #27

Keep on keeping on Don!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:25   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The House is on the Market !

Nice one Don... going good... but if I can make a suggestion please...
Can you chuck in some 'DRAMA' now and then for the readers....
Now that 'Bergys' hunt is drawing to a close we need something to keep us at our keyboards and all these lurkers joining.....

CF NEEDS YU

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nice one Don... going good... but if I can make a suggestion please...
Can you chuck in some 'DRAMA' now and then for the readers....
Now that 'Bergys' hunt is drawing to a close we need something to keep us at our keyboards and all these lurkers joining.....

CF NEEDS YU
LOL. That is funny.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07   #30

My drama ended on Feb 5th.
My wife of 40 years passed from Brain Cancer after a year of surgery (4 crainiotomies), Hospitals (over 5 months) Radiation until the doctors said "No more", and chemo, again untill the Dr said "No more". I have left this out of my profile and all just to avoid the "Drama". This is a fun site and it has gotten me through the dark days that are over. If you check back I have always said there was something holding me back from starting, that was it.

Now, no more "Drama".