Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 06:19   #16

Re: The Grenadines

Hi Gord May! Thanks! Mark Thanks for the info. It seems to me that the Grenadines have some security issues. I hope we will be ok with 2 young boys. We just want to relax and enjoy the culture without headaches.
av8torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 07:38   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We're anchored at union now in Clifton. Really nice and safe as anywhere. The only place where boarding and theft has happened much recently is canouan. Sure there's the occasional theft elsewhere but it's no worse than anywhere else in the world.
From Grenada I'd sail up to Tyrell bay carriacou (6hrs) and check out (you have 24hrs to leave after check out). Stop at sandy island for the night on a buoy then sail to Clifton (3hrs)union island to check in at the airport and have a kite surf. Pick up a buoy or anchor on the reef. From the sail to morpion (1hr)for some great snorkelling and a lunch stop, then to Tobago keys (3hrs)to snorkel the reef. Then down to salt whistle bay mayrau (1hr) and pick up a buoy or anchor. Walk into town and have a meal with Dennis at Dennis's hideaway restaurant. Then back to Union (2hr) anchor or buoy in Chatham bay (just had a good surf there too!). Lots of turtles here on land as well and some little beach bars and restaurants. Back up to check out at Clifton the next day (2hrs) and take your pick of spots to stop on the way back south. Ronde island is an ok stop between Grenada and cariacou as well.
Morpion island is some of the nicest snorkelling I've seen in the Caribbean.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:47   #18

Hi Monte, Thanks for the great info! How long are you guys in the Grenadines? We are going in June for 10 days. You said your seeing turtles on land? Dave
Old 29-11-2015, 13:02   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah Dave there's some cool land turtles in Chatham bay. I don't think we will be here in June but we were last June and the weather was the same. 30 degree air and water temp. Mostly sunny, occasional showers and 15-25kn ENE-ESE
Some surf in Chatham but pretty rare so hardly worth bringing a board. Jen almost swamped the dinghy on this set
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448830955.721546.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	114049
Old 29-11-2015, 13:17   #20

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8torx View Post
Hi Gord May! Thanks! Mark Thanks for the info. It seems to me that the Grenadines have some security issues. I hope we will be ok with 2 young boys. We just want to relax and enjoy the culture without headaches.
I have been going to the Grenadines for years ,dont let what you read put you off .Sure stuff happens sometimes but not often, just as with any were else . You and your kids will love it. IN Bequia Fitzy with the boat named Phat Shag (dont ask) has good moorings
zy
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 15:39   #21

Hi, Thanks! Monte did you guys sail from Australia? I was wondering if we did bring a locking cable for our dingy. How long do you think it should be to lock the motor and dingy to the sailboat? Dave
Old 29-11-2015, 16:40   #22

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8torx View Post
Hi, Thanks! Monte did you guys sail from Australia? I was wondering if we did bring a locking cable for our dingy. How long do you think it should be to lock the motor and dingy to the sailboat? Dave
I would be surprised if it was not supplied
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:51   #23
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No Dave, we are slowly headed there from Europe. Dinghy theft is pretty rare around here. The occasional one gets knicked in Grenada. I'd say the charter co would supply a lock along with the big yellow painter . I think ex charter dinks would be at the bottom of the barrel for would be theifs, unless it's powered by a yammy 15 instead of the standard tohotsu 8
Old 29-11-2015, 19:01   #24

Boat: Lagoon 42

Dave, we are doing this same trip in March (charting with Horizon Yachts). I will send you an update when we come back with tips or issues we encounter. Cheers bb.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 06:20   #25

Hi BB, Have a great trip! As I said we are going in early June. I will love to hear how it went. Hi Monte and Jen, Sounds amazing. Are you out sailing for several years? Dave
Old 30-11-2015, 09:27   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes Dave. Four years so far. The grenadines is one of the nicer places to spend some sailing time.
Old 30-11-2015, 13:05   #27

Sounds amazing! How have the biting bugs been? Any issues? I'm wondering if there is anything we are forgetting to bring. We have an inflatable kayak that is kind of bulky to transport but fun to use. Much opportunities for SCUBA diving? I could spend all day snorkeling.
Old 30-11-2015, 14:25   #28
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bugs and mossies are ok now. There's not many around. Inflatable kayak probably won't get a lot of use with the steady Tradewinds blowing. Ours is stowed in the locker. We use the inflatable sup occasionally though. Lots of nice snorkelling opportunities but morpion is a highlight. Anchor off the beach near petite st Vincent afterwards as well if you like, it's really beautiful.