Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2014, 07:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: That friggin mooring ball thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
When you are asleep in the v berth and the boat smashes into the mooring ball when wind opposes current. How do you remedy this? You will notice I am writing this very early in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You don't use hard sided mooring balls......

Soft/inflatable balls, such as those by Polyform, (Wayne Hamilton has hundreds in stock) won't make much noise at all, if any.

On a calm night you can even short leash the mooring ball off your anchor roller and this keeps the pendant vertical and the ball off the bow...

Old 01-11-2014, 09:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You don't use hard sided mooring balls......

Soft/inflatable balls, such as those by Polyform, (Wayne Hamilton has hundreds in stock) won't make much noise at all, if any.

On a calm night you can even short leash the mooring ball off your anchor roller and this keeps the pendant vertical and the ball off the bow...

Well I borrowed a mooring in plymouth ma and they use a 3' diameter hard ball and it sounded like it was trying to sink me. I tried short tying it but it almost hit my anchor roller. It was hell.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:33   #18

Boat: Tayana 55

earplugs
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Just pull the bridle lines from each bow tight and the mooring stays trapped in the middle between the bows.

Mark
Boy Mark... You can be a real jerk sometimes....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Boy Mark... You can be a real jerk sometimes....
Well, he did specifically ask how I solved the problem

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46   #21

An alternative to an inner tube, easier to stow and no need to inflate/deflate: Get a large diameter swim noodle (or two in series for larger diameter balls) and run a 3/8" line through it/them, tied into a circle, to slip over the mooring buoy.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:53   #22

Boat: Tashiba 40

I've been a cruiser foemany years in the lower Caribbean and have experienced all of the annoying problems with mooring balls. Every time you try a new solution, another side problem pops up. I sleep in the V bearth and have suffered the loss many, many nights of sleep over this. One of the neatest ideas I encountered was one sailor made a 'cozy', like your drink cup cover, that velcrows around the ball. He had been using it for a year and said it workeg great.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
When you are asleep in the v berth and the boat smashes into the mooring ball when wind opposes current. How do you remedy this? You will notice I am writing this very early in the morning.

Try putting a small drogue out off the stern. It may give the current the advantage.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, he did specifically ask how I solved the problem

Mark
Well.... Fair enough.... I guess we're thankful he didn't ask about his:
1.Draft problem
2. Heeling angle problem
3. Space problem
4. Redundant propulsion problem....

Or I suppose you have all of the answers to the too???....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If your boat has a bow sprit, you can run a line from the end of the sprit down to the ball.
We have adjusted the length so the even when the wind and current try to push our bow onto the ball the line holds us off the ball. We have it set-up so that the port/starboard bow lines and the 3rd line are all sized right to hold the ball off the bow. Living on a mooring ball in an estuary with 4kts of current at times makes you learn these thing if you want to sleep.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:43   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

without sprit--i used t shirt an d water worms, aka noodles to prevent noise an d damage.
with a sprit, i used, not from sprit end, but from anchor roller, bungee line doubled to the mooring ball top loop. i also used a bridle to tie to mooring tag chain, but the bridle was 2 separate lines to their chain provided-- each line on a different chain link.
th ebungee cords did a good job of keeping bobstay away from the ball.
we were provided with hard plastic or fg ball and chain , and system was inspected annually.
i found with the bungee to the end of my sprit, the action called hobby horsing was more extreme, closer to the boat's bow made that negligible.
lessened the sprit vs ball trauma.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:55   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I have seen people put a life jacket over the ball - usually one of the big ugly orange ones.

I like the stern anchor idea - but of course you would have to ensure there was no boats moored so closely that they would hit you. It is fairly unusual to have mooring balls so close that they would hit - but you never know...

On a cat I have taken a dock line to the ball and then ran that over the second anchor roller and to the cleat provided for same. This is a nice option because if the wind comes back up you can let this off quickly and go back to your properly set up bridle - keeping the cat from sailing on the hulls too much.

Down here the wind usually blows enough that we don't have to worry about this problem - but when it doesn't....
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 13:26   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I simply turn the rudder over to one side and lock it in. The ball will bounce on the side for a very short period as the current changes but then the boat "sails" on the current away from the ball and the ball stays off the side by several feet.

I tried this several times with no luck and got frustrated that it did not work but then one day I left the wheel locked over and went to make dinner. After the current settled in I noticed it had gotten quiet and went on deck to observe the ball being held away from the boat. I think my boat does better on a port wheel than a starboard wheel so you may need to experiment.

So, if you are willing to put up with 15 minutes twice a day ball bouncing, this option might work for you and you can do away with the lines, fenders, etc.

The other option I was looking at was short tying the ball to the bobstay fitting and using a chain hook on the balls chain.
Old 01-11-2014, 17:10   #29

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
That could be very bad advice. In many of the mooring fields we've been in where this is a problem having a stern anchor out would be way worse. You would either be hit by another boat that is free to spin with the current change or you could wrap that anchor line around your boat. Or you could end up board side to the current.

A stern anchor in a tight mooring field or anchorage with a decent current is a very bad idea.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well of course if the moorings are close together but a "proper" mooring field should allow boats to swing in a 360 degree radius independent of their neighbours with wriggle room to spare. Obviously one would need this room. Not sure how you would tangle the anchor rode around the keel either as there's little difference between a forward set anchor or a mooring in this respect??

The public moorings here are made of a hard plastic and will bang like a sledgehammer against the hull. Using a stern anchor is a method recommended for preventing rolling (even when connected to a mooring) and is even mentioned in the local cruising guide.

On my mooring we have a soft ball and just last week the wind and tide conspired so much the boat sat broadsides to the opposing wind and current and jammed up against the ball amidships while the dinghy kept ramming us, retreating and then ramming us again on the other. Sometimes physics is weird (and why do dinghys always attack their motherships at every opportunity???). Because our ball is small as well as soft it is near silent. So I guess if you regularly visit a mooring, or own it, the best solution is to go soft or make a bumper.

Oh and in the spirit of a catamaran solution, you could also go centre cockit. The noise in the aft cabin is significantly less then up front
Old 01-11-2014, 17:14   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I'm actually surprised that the No 1 solution hasn't been mentioned yet....RUM....then you can sleet without hearing anything.

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: