Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 05:52   #61

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Tenders- what do you use?

The last photo made it look thick here's another.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181203_085113.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	181613
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:10   #62

Boat: Leopard 39
Unhappy Re: Tenders- what do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Don't be so sure.
I'm a big guy and can happily sit on the gunwale and stand on the foredeck of our ally tender. (yes its a big beamy 14ft x 6ft far from tender tender)

https://boatcollar.com.au

And yes, I realise most can't carry a tender our size but the boat collar works just as well on small dinghy's.
With a solid buoyancy foam collar installed it will have all the upside of an inflatable but with none of the downside.
Just a hunch, but I think that would touch down on my sugar scoops when I lowered it from my davits :-(, but the boat collars are an interesting idea for smaller hard dinks!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42   #63

Boat: Bayfield B36
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

We have had both hard and inflatable and would still be using the Hard except thought it was too big for the davits (big mistake) the inflatable is larger than the hard dingy and has less room inside . The hard dingy will row easier than even a small inflatable and any time the motor breaks down any distance is against the wind and hard to row against .But the hard dingy is still easier to row, specifically with a passenger. Now that we are in the Caribbean the only dingy sold hear are inflatable or walkerbay any good hard dingy you will have too make yourself from plans and find the space to do the construction . So think hard about what one you want the use ..I my self would want a hard dingy if I could find a place to construct it and once its complete no more deflating issues or hard to row back to the boat or shore..
Stonecutter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16   #64

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter36 View Post
We have had both hard and inflatable and would still be using the Hard except thought it was too big for the davits (big mistake) the inflatable is larger than the hard dingy and has less room inside . The hard dingy will row easier than even a small inflatable and any time the motor breaks down any distance is against the wind and hard to row against .But the hard dingy is still easier to row, specifically with a passenger. Now that we are in the Caribbean the only dingy sold hear are inflatable or walkerbay any good hard dingy you will have too make yourself from plans and find the space to do the construction . So think hard about what one you want the use ..I my self would want a hard dingy if I could find a place to construct it and once its complete no more deflating issues or hard to row back to the boat or shore..
My outboard died , and I am.in Africa exploring rivers , I couldn't be happier on how the hard dinghy paddles even against the current (doesn't go fast but at least I am able to reach the boat )
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04   #65

The inflatable rib, you wont be sorry. You dont need the complication of electric start. Just get a good engine and it will start in 2 pulls. If the 15 hp weighs the same get it. Although at 9.5 feet you are kind of in between 10 and 15 hp. 15 was pretty squirrely on my 9 ft RIB, but good on my 10 ft RIB.
A good RIB allows you to explore much further from the mothership without risking taking the mothership into places that may be more risky etc. It'll also get you home when a squall starts to blow in and you have a dingy full of food coming back from town etc.
A RIB wont beat up the sides of your mothership like a hard dingy. You wont get soaking wet like you will in many hard dingies.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58   #66

Thanks. Great idea. Now, anyone know best way to find an inexpensive sail for my 8' Sinbad dingy i paid only $120 for? I keep trying www.searchtempest.com.
Glansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:11   #67

Just find an odd used sail that's in good shape and cut it to size. Find the lightest ounce you can.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23   #68

Thanks for both inputs, sparrowhawk!
Glansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:42   #69

Boat: Moody 39

Found another possible DIY fast tender:
https://bateau.com/studyplans/GV10_study.php?prod=GV10

It's slightly larger than the Selway Fisher one, any comments?
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 15:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glansing View Post
Thanks for both inputs, sparrowhawk!
NP. You can also use what's left over to make bags for the sail and your life jackets Etc. There's a company that makes all sorts of stuff out of used sails.
Old 05-12-2018, 18:18   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
NP. You can also use what's left over to make bags for the sail and your life jackets Etc. There's a company that makes all sorts of stuff out of used sails.

Isn't that the way Levis started out? Making pants for miners out of sailcloth in SF...
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 14:40   #72

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@Glansing

Try a Sunfish or Topper rig.

Really any dinghy rig built in large numbers (=cheap price) with a free standing mast should be adoptable.

Laser rig is perhaps a bit to big for an 8ft boat.

Btw. there are unmeasured (=not fit for racing) Laser Radial training sails around for around 150$ new.

Even though we use a Laser Radial Rig, Deck and Center board on our Spindrift 10 hull....
Old 07-12-2018, 14:32   #73

I'm curious why cruisers haven't adopted use of polyethylene tenders such as the Whaly 310 (https://www.whalyboatsusa.com/product-page/model-310) or Polycraft at a higher rate. These boats are virtually indestructible, just as stable as a RIB, and at a lower price than hypalon versions.

They seem to have caught on in Australia and NZ but difficult to get in the states. Personally I like the idea of a dingy that will last a lifetime rather than an inflatable we will have to replace.

We are about to order the Whaly and will keep our Avon inflatable stowed in case we ever need it.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 15:44   #74

As far as I know there are no distributors in the US.
Old 07-12-2018, 15:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
As far as I know there are no distributors in the US.
Polycraft doesn't have any US distributors. I was close to importing one from AUS on my own before I found Whaly which does have US representation.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender