Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Tell Us About Fiji

We arrived here from Bora Bora a couple of days ago and have discovered Fiji covers a big area and there don't seem to be any pilot guides. The gods have littered the place with reefs and coral so 'stay alert, stay alive' is real!

We're picking up family in Nadi tomorrow and have a couple of weeks holiday ahead of us, so thought I'd dip into the wisdom of the forum for things to do, places to go, or not, etc.
What do members here love about Fiji?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Tell Us About Fiji

royal suva yacht club on a friday night is a great place to meet the local characters!
if you get over that way

you will get the best indian food this side of bombay in fiji,lots of good local indian restaurants in nadi,cheap as well.

suva or nadi produce market is not to be missed very colourful,take a camera
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21   #3

So where are you in Fiji??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
royal suva yacht club on a friday night is a great place to meet the local characters!
if you get over that way

you will get the best indian food this side of bombay in fiji,lots of good local indian restaurants in nadi,cheap as well.

suva or nadi produce market is not to be missed very colourful,take a camera
Thanks Alex. Will do.
Vic

Old 01-11-2013, 07:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So where are you in Fiji??
We cleared in in Savu Savu, but right now we're idling our way up the coast to Navula Passage then in to Denarau with first light.
Vic

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28   #6

Lautoka and the Islands to the west were great fun during our stay in Fiji.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Lautoka and the Islands to the west were great fun during our stay in Fiji.
I figured we'd hop across to Malolo Lai Lai/Musket Cove, then go up the Yasawa group a bit too.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:47   #8

You will have lots of fun there, usually a lot of cruisers hanging out at Musket Cove, make sure to join the local Yacht Club. Good swimming and snorkeling if you have a quick dink. Lots of reefs around so my advise is for day time only. The Yasawa Group is also good times, some local rules you can get ginned up on. Where are you going next after Fiji?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Vic,

Well, I suspect that this will get flamed, but for us (after a total of about a year in Fiji spread over three visits) the Yasawas and the western lagoon area were the least enjoyable part of Fiji. They are fine if you want to hang out with other yotties and the tourists, but for us the magic of Fiji was in the villages where there were no tourist facilities and damn few yotties. Favorite areas: northern end of Kandavu island, village called Solotavui, and Viani Bay on the E end of Vanua Levu... along with the whole N coast of that island. The part we missed and regretted was the Lau group. During the years we were there cruising in the Lau was forbidden due to some political machinations.

HOpe that you guys can get away from the beaten paths at least a little bit.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20   #10

I heard nothing but good reviews on the north of Fiji unfortunately we didn't have the time.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Vic,

Well, I suspect that this will get flamed, but for us (after a total of about a year in Fiji spread over three visits) the Yasawas and the western lagoon area were the least enjoyable part of Fiji. They are fine if you want to hang out with other yotties and the tourists, but for us the magic of Fiji was in the villages where there were no tourist facilities and damn few yotties. Favorite areas: northern end of Kandavu island, village called Solotavui, and Viani Bay on the E end of Vanua Levu... along with the whole N coast of that island. The part we missed and regretted was the Lau group. During the years we were there cruising in the Lau was forbidden due to some political machinations.

HOpe that you guys can get away from the beaten paths at least a little bit.

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,
That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. We've got a sail and a generator that need repairing, so figured we'd do the close to Nadi stuff while that is happening, and then get to the more remote areas you've recommended, at least some of them.
Thanks a ton.
Vic

PS. Lau Group became wickedly expensive for a while and I'm not sure why. Big fees for a special permit + anchor fees of $100 in most places. Recently that has been relaxed and I believe it is easy to go there now. Not sure if it requires a separate cruising permit.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52   #12

Quote:
You will have lots of fun there, usually a lot of cruisers hanging out at Musket Cove, make sure to join the local Yacht Club. Good swimming and snorkeling if you have a quick dink. Lots of reefs around so my advise is for day time only. The Yasawa Group is also good times, some local rules you can get ginned up on. Where are you going next after Fiji?
This is the kids (in their 20s!) first time to a tropical island type place so I'm sure they will enjoy this area initially.

From here we sail to Noumea, just a few days, then Brisbane, then down to Lake Macquarie, NSW.

Vic

Old 01-11-2013, 13:22   #13

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Muscat cove is a nice spot to anchor, $7 per night, on the swing mooring,

I drove around Fiji, The north is pretty barren on land, all the rain forest is along the south coast,
Lautoka, will cover your water line in greasy filth,

Denarue has free swing moorings, or a small charge for the wet berths,

It also has a free bus to Nadi,

Dont shop in a tourist area . Go into the back streets, Its a hell of a lot cheaper, or down the road half a mile,

Just before Nadi on the right hand side of the road, Coming from Denarue, Is a Butcher, He is from NZ,
He has excellent meat, One of the few places that do,

Do not sail at night, a lot of the reefs are still uncharted, Watch your depth sounder, Constantly,
At 3 knots, I went from 34 feet to 3 feet in about 6 feet of travel, Man made uncharted reef at Lautoka, across the front of the beach,
I didnt see it the week before when I was standing on the beach, and deciding to park the boat on that beach, The tide covered the reef, But at low tide, Its 2 feet high out of the water,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Muscat cove is a nice spot to anchor, $7 per night, on the swing mooring,

I drove around Fiji, The north is pretty barren on land, all the rain forest is along the south coast,
Lautoka, will cover your water line in greasy filth,

Denarue has free swing moorings, or a small charge for the wet berths,

It also has a free bus to Nadi,

Dont shop in a tourist area . Go into the back streets, Its a hell of a lot cheaper, or down the road half a mile,

Just before Nadi on the right hand side of the road, Coming from Denarue, Is a Butcher, He is from NZ,
He has excellent meat, One of the few places that do,

Do not sail at night, a lot of the reefs are still uncharted, Watch your depth sounder, Constantly,
At 3 knots, I went from 34 feet to 3 feet in about 6 feet of travel, Man made uncharted reef at Lautoka, across the front of the beach,
I didnt see it the week before when I was standing on the beach, and deciding to park the boat on that beach, The tide covered the reef, But at low tide, Its 2 feet high out of the water,
Thanks for the info.
We're taking it easy. We're at Musket Cove now. Cocktails $17! But it is a beautiful spot. We're having to get sail repairs and generator sorted out in Denareau, so Nadi info is helpful.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:30   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We can confirm what Jim Cate said, Vic. Kandavu is excellent for snorkelling, no yachties, good village experiences etc.

The Lau Group was a real stand out also. Incredibly beautiful islands, fantastic snorkelling, lobsters and locals. If you can organise it and a low comes thru, you can even ride the westerlies back east.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji