Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 16:35   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
I knew someone would say that. I'm talking about single line or 2 line slab reefing.

Are you talking about single line in boom roller reefing? That's where a single line rotates part of the boom and winds the sail down.

I was talking about single line slab reefing where a single line goes up to the luff cringle and down to the boom, then along to near the end of the boom and up to and down from the leech cringle to the boom or variations. There is too much friction in that setup. Harken have diagrams of single line reefing you can look up on the web.

Slab reefing with 2 lines as I suggested is super fast.

I've often seen in boom roller reefing being done and it seems slow. A friend crewed on a yacht from Fiji to NZ with in boom roller reefing and found it a bit slow when tropical squalls hit.
Mate.. I know what a boom roller system is.. both old and new..
I'm referring to from the leech down to and along the boom up the mast to the luff cringle then down to a block and back to the cockpit..
Drop the main to the right height.. crank in the line till the luff is tight then lock off the main uphaul and finish cranking the winch till the leech is taut.. saves going to the mast.
If you reef early as wise folk do.. no big deal..
same with raising again later.. release the jammer on the reef line and crank on the uphaul..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:45   #92

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

I am in this same boat My goal was to leave out this year for the southern islands but due to a back situation I had to delay it one yr. I also need more experience. I have over the last few years been upgrading the boat and now have it where most everything can be operated from the cockpit. I don't like sailing alone but like everyone else i think its a trust thing. As a former pilot i must have a plan A,B and C. I have in most cases 300% backup on everything.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:49   #93

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
I don't recall saying I was leaving tomorrow. It might be ten years and I know I have to learn a great deal and have no intention of proceeding recklessly. Jeez!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You can sail in Spring in Colorado:

http://www.denversailing.org/

Hobie Fleet 61
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 17:01   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

As you may gather from some of the posts.. its a balls factor..
Some folks are so busy upgrading to the latest 'Whats Needed/Best' they never leave the marina..
Its not rocket science.. tho' some would like it to seem that way..
But.. I aint no sailor.. merely a humble seaman..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-11-2015, 18:14   #95

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer

Richard Henderson wrote an excellent book on solo sailing a while back. It, and other used books on topic may be obtained inexpensively from ABE.com.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 18:25   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like solo sailing coz I can remove the wig.. unclip the right leg and put my teeth in a glass without freaking folk out..��

Old 27-11-2015, 18:26   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ohh.. and my glass eyes..
Old 27-11-2015, 18:40   #98

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
I knew someone would say that. I'm talking about single line or 2 line slab reefing.

Are you talking about single line in boom roller reefing? That's where a single line rotates part of the boom and winds the sail down.

I was talking about single line slab reefing where a single line goes up to the luff cringle and down to the boom, then along to near the end of the boom and up to and down from the leech cringle to the boom or variations. There is too much friction in that setup. Harken have diagrams of single line reefing you can look up on the web.

Slab reefing with 2 lines as I suggested is super fast.

I've often seen in boom roller reefing being done and it seems slow. A friend crewed on a yacht from Fiji to NZ with in boom roller reefing and found it a bit slow when tropical squalls hit.
While I was initially skeptical about single line slab reefing, I am now fully converted. I have the Selden version, with the lines running inside the boom. It works like a charm and on my 32' Contessa there is definitely no excessive friction. I simply lower the mainsail to a mark on the halyard (let aft to the cockpit) and take up on the reefing line. I then tension the halyard and voila--done. Takes only a minute, and I don't need to leave the cockpit. It's so easy, I am now a lot more likely to reef than I used to.
Old 27-11-2015, 18:52   #99

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But.. I aint no sailor.. merely a humble seaman..
Aww, come on Boatie! Seaman, sure, humble... give me a break!

Jim
Old 27-11-2015, 19:20   #100

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
While I was initially skeptical about single line slab reefing, I am now fully converted. I have the Selden version, with the lines running inside the boom. It works like a charm and on my 32' Contessa there is definitely no excessive friction. I simply lower the mainsail to a mark on the halyard (let aft to the cockpit) and take up on the reefing line. I then tension the halyard and voila--done. Takes only a minute, and I don't need to leave the cockpit. It's so easy, I am now a lot more likely to reef than I used to.
This is what I have, but is it called single line reefing? I get confused because there's a butterfly block inside the boom that creates the purchase needed to reef the sail so it's really two lines.

Anyway, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about whether to set up all lines going aft or terminating at the mast. All my lines are led aft and there have been more than a few times in my still-new sailing career when I've been hanging onto the bow taking water overhead while trying to fix something.

It's a red herring.

Decide how you want to rig your running lines and then be prepared to tie into jacklines to run to the bow for whatever you need to do there. It will happen and probably when all hell is breaking loose, which is what makes me grin all the more when everything is done. You gotta be a little nuts. If that's not your cup of tea, don't single hand.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 19:39   #101

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This is what I have, but is it called single line reefing? I get confused because there's a butterfly block inside the boom that creates the purchase needed to reef the sail so it's really two lines.
Yup, it's called single line reefing--there's only one line you need to pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Anyway, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about whether to set up all lines going aft or terminating at the mast. All my lines are led aft and there have been more than a few times in my still-new sailing career when I've been hanging onto the bow taking water overhead while trying to fix something.

It's a red herring.

Decide how you want to rig your running lines and then be prepared to tie into jacklines to run to the bow for whatever you need to do there. It will happen and probably when all hell is breaking loose, which is what makes me grin all the more when everything is done. You gotta be a little nuts. If that's not your cup of tea, don't single hand.
Sure, but unless you're more than a little nuts, you'll want to avoid having to do it more than absolutely necessary.
Old 27-11-2015, 20:00   #102

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have read all the advice given to the OP, good and bad and drifting, and now I'd like to suggest a workable game plan for him.

Veto, you live in an area not known for yachting activity, especially "blue water" activity. You could spend a bit of time and a lot of money travelling to areas where formal lessons in keel boats are available. But while lessons are good for some folks's learning curves, I think we all agree that hands on experience in your own boat is where the most learning goes on, and the above plan doesn't provide that very well.

Here's what I would do in your place (and you may have already started on this route):
First, avail yourself of all the non-participatory learning that you can... reading in the vast literature of the sea and sailing, including both how to do it books and tales of others adventures. Videos and other media material abounds on the net, and can be helpful too.

Second, start looking for a sailing dinghy of your own. IMO, this should be in the order of 12-16 feet long, sloop rigged, on a trailer, and in good enough shape to just be sailed as is. Even in Colorado, I bet there are numerous examples around, and the cost should not be awful... perhaps a grand or less. Then, armed with your book learning and your new dinghy, when the lakes melt in the spring, off you go to start the experience gathering process. Start on a mild day, rig only the mainsail and go sailing. Wear a PFD and don't worry about capsize or other happenings. I bet that within a few hours you will be tacking and gybing with some feel for how it should go. Then you add the jib and start over. Repeat every chance you get all summer long...

You will have a good time, you will learn by doing and eventually you will outgrow the lakes and the dinghy. That's the time to be considering what sort of bigger boat will meet your (probably changed) plans. Selling the dinghy for close to your cost should be possible, and then you may come back to us with some greater idea of reality and seek our advice about boat choices (if you feel the need).

The next stage will involve not so much learning to sail your bigger boat, but how to deal with all its complexities. Having achieved your basic sailing skills means that you can concentrate on the learning of the boat without the anxieties of a neophyte sailor. IMO, this is a big deal... others will likely disagree, but I've watched a lot of newbies with complicated boats get so swamped with the combination of beginning sailing and new boat issues that their dream faded and never materialized.

All this while, you should be studying things like piloting/navigation, rules of the road, engine and electrical maintenance and all the other skills needed by a solo sailor, for whom self sufficiency is mandatory. This sort of study is a good winter plan (I hate winter) and will keep your eyes on the tropical future.

BTW, the reason I'm pretty sure this sort of plan can work is... it worked for me! Only difference is that I bought that first dinghy the very next weekend after I went for my very first sail, and didn't have anything like the resources available to you. I lived in California so the wx was a bit kinder, and the local library had a good selection of sailing books.

Finally, don't let the guff about the dangers of single handing scare you off. Yes, it is more hazardous than with a skilled crew, but no, it isn't foolhardy. The success stories of countless singlehanders, all ages, all sorts of backgrounds, seems to prove that it can be done.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jim
Old 27-11-2015, 21:53   #103

Boat: Vancouver 27

As a sophomoric cruiser, here's what I've managed to distill so far:

There's a million ways to do it. From the armchair is by definition the least practical. Learn as much as you can and try not to bite off larger chunks than you can chew. Get out there sooner rather than later so you know what you want. Take a critical approach to boat accessorizing. The hardest part is the dockline thing.

Rudely ignore any who say singlehanding cannot or should not be done.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 01:23   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I like solo sailing coz I can remove the wig.. unclip the right leg and put my teeth in a glass without freaking folk out..��
But is it true solo when you have Polly to talk to?
Old 28-11-2015, 01:25   #105

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Hello to everyone
To put it on a hilarious note, I find it pedantic, boring, and incorrect... all this PRAISING OF THE SMALL BOAT CONCEPT (even for beginners)

For many a reasons..
1) I never found a sailor wishing his own boat being some feet shorter... (quite the contrary)
1.1) I stress shorter, but not narrower.. (ask yourself why!?)
1.2) in fact, guys would like lower costs, and better management of boat, but no lesser comfort

2) given that all boats are small in the ocean... there are some basic concepts
2.1) a longer boat arrives earlier, less exposure to weather
2.2) free board of 3' on a 30s, but 5' on a 50s....6' on a 70s... what is safer!?
2.3 as per the human body complexion, I find it quite uncomfortable to squeeze myself in anything shorter than 35'
2.3.1) on an old-school 41' i had to cross the saloon turning myself 90degrees almost... no good!!! (Beam 11'5")... under-deck height is another consideration...

3) there are intelligent devices to cope with size.... in due order/cost:
3.1) electric windlass and winches (3), and bow-thrust
3.2) fractional rigging
3.3) hydraulic furling gear
3.4) paid up deck-hands
3.5) a boat of modern design and duly equipped can be sailed solo irrespective its size, since the 80s (Vendredi 13 was 40+m long, or more.. Alain Colas...)

4) no one prevents a big boat from sailing with smaller sails (the real problem of a large boat) while remaining faster than any over-canvassed 10' shorter one (moNo hulls, no racers..)
4.1) I find Genoa a "stupid" sail dictated by racing rules... (a 140% is idiotic... please concede... people even opting for shorter spreaders for this!!!!..)..
4.2) Gipsy Moth IV had 2 jibs of almost identical size... a solution the ALL SAILOR-MAKERS HATE (willing to sell to me a 900sqft. Genoa, or a 100%jib of 700sqft. while I'll go for a 500sqft. Jib and 300sqft afterforesail, on a heavy 54')

5) seamanship: even though even corks cross the Atlantic.. I find e.g. F6-7 wind a terrible experience on a 35', a challenge on a 40s, a pure pleasure a 50s, and a motion-less experience (if moderate sea) on a 70s

Boat came shorter as sailing became popular, and costs of harbours outrageous....
One the US coast, a classic design was a 70s accommodating two couple and a sailor or two, for a daily ocean escapade...

Said that, I admire/respect anyone willing to excruciate him/herself on a tiny boat :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing