Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 15:02   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

A wealth of tips here. I'd echo the part about a boat that is not too big to handle easily, of course run all the lines back to the cockpit, a really reliable self-steering set-up, a really comfortable harness (so you'll wear it all the time) with lines rigged on the deck so you can walk around easily without unclipping, and an AIS is great to have to wake you up if any ships come by. Most people have self-furling headsails but after a nasty experience I had with one getting badly jammed in bad weather I prefer hank-on now. I am probably the last one. But anyway, it's a ways off but this is just to say, yep, all do-able, no pipe-dream. It might get a little lonesome out for 1 or 2 or 3 weeks with no one to talk to but albatrosses and flying fish, but maybe that is what you are looking for!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 15:31   #47

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Go to this link and down load 180 pdf free book of single handed sailing 3rd edition.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

One thing that solo sailing teaches you, is to think and plann well ahead...a book that is far better then any I read, and it is free. Enjoy the experence.

SV Skoiern IV
Good thread and thanks for the link.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:05   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Go to this link and down load 180 pdf free book of single handed sailing 3rd edition.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

One thing that solo sailing teaches you, is to think and plann well ahead...a book that is far better then any I read, and it is free. Enjoy the experence.

SV Skoiern IV
Good link, but right out of the gate:The Mental Challenge, Emotions and Crying?

Is that about solo sailing or the cash flow needed for the boat?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:37   #49
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

I've been solo since 08 . Started with ericson 27 and it was a little tight for when I had overnight guests. Moved up to a cal 29 a few years ago.
Singlehanding is a great way to cruise. No one critiques your sail trim and you don't have to share your beer
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:40   #50

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
Hi there. Total newbie. Thinking of retiring in 7-10 years and the idea of solo sailing is appealing for many reasons. I enjoy solitude and would love to explore the world or park at my own pace and discretion. I am not misanthropic and wouldn't mind a companion, but I'm not counting on it and don't expect it. Is it realistic to go into this with the idea of solo sailing from the start? Should I plan on having a crew, etc.? I plan on learning to sail over the next few years, chartering, etc. I'm just wondering if this is nothing but a pipe dream.

Cheers,

Veto

Until you take the time and actually sail, yes it's only a dream. Learn to sail a punt on a pond while u dream of the 7 Seas.

Sailing isn't for everybody. U might not like it.😎

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2015, 16:57   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A wealth of tips here. I'd echo the part about a boat that is not too big to handle easily, of course run all the lines back to the cockpit, a really reliable self-steering set-up, a really comfortable harness (so you'll wear it all the time) with lines rigged on the deck so you can walk around easily without unclipping, and an AIS is great to have to wake you up if any ships come by. Most people have self-furling headsails but after a nasty experience I had with one getting badly jammed in bad weather I prefer hank-on now. I am probably the last one. But anyway, it's a ways off but this is just to say, yep, all do-able, no pipe-dream. It might get a little lonesome out for 1 or 2 or 3 weeks with no one to talk to but albatrosses and flying fish, but maybe that is what you are looking for!
Well spoken by another short-hander. His comment about hank on head sails and harness rub gives him away.
I would not get into sailing assuming I was going to solo around the world. You can be an Olympian and break you back and starve to death before somebody finds you. On maybe the sea finds you first as you watch your boat sail away on autopilot. A few here have probably done a fair amount of short handing, but I do not see them north of 40 and out in the ocean,( but they might be there.)
Here, soloing is dangerous and lonely, but for us addicted it offers our fix. Much nicer to go with a good mate. Doesn't matter who they are, as long as they care about you enough to be able to turn the boat around or get on the VHF should you break something. Cruising around in a VW camper van makes much more sense.
In short:
Learn how to sail first. Learn really well. Go out in adverse conditions with friends first. Then if the addiction drives you on, learn how to solo.
I don't think its all that wonderful in the freezing spin-drift, but I do it from time to time.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 19:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
Hi there. Total newbie. Thinking of retiring in 7-10 years and the idea of solo sailing is appealing for many reasons. I enjoy solitude and would love to explore the world or park at my own pace and discretion. I am not misanthropic and wouldn't mind a companion, but I'm not counting on it and don't expect it. Is it realistic to go into this with the idea of solo sailing from the start? Should I plan on having a crew, etc.? I plan on learning to sail over the next few years, chartering, etc. I'm just wondering if this is nothing but a pipe dream.

Cheers,

Veto
Not at all a pipe dream. Get some lessons if you are new to sailing, then do a day charter, then a weekend etc.
The disadvantages for me are; I have to cook my own meals. The advantages are; I don't get told to start the motor.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 19:24   #53

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

IMO dealing with a headsail on a pitching foredeck is one of the most dangerous aspects of sailing. Even more so when solo.

The halyard wrapping around the furler is the most common reason for a jam and very easy to prevent by having proper angle and tension on the halyard.

When the weather is threatening and I am bone tired, I really really appreciate being able shorten the headsail from the cockpit.

Old 26-11-2015, 19:44   #54

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

get your ducks in a row and do your due diligence, and ease into it. Just got my boat in July (before turning 60) and can't learn things fast enough. Already fell out of it, (good thing it was parked in my driveway) Good luck and keep in touch thru CF.
joel.
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 20:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Most people have self-furling headsails but after a nasty experience I had with one getting badly jammed in bad weather I prefer hank-on now. I am probably the last one.
When I used to have hanked on headsails before I changed to roller furling, I had a downhaul line to pull a headsail down from the cockpit. Still needed to hank another on but it got rid of a sail that might be too big.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 20:33   #56

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Take your sailing lessons up at Blue Mesa or Dillon. It has often been said if you can sail in either of those great sailing venues, you can sail anywhere. We prefer Blue Mesa, a little more isolated but the most reliable wind we have found anywhere. Dillon has a little better sailing community though. Blue Mesa caters more to the fishing crowd.
Ha ha! We tried blue mesa once.....no wind! Flat, glassy....but I know that was fluke and not the way it usually is. We might go back, bUT we might find ourselves in mexico by the time we have more time!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 22:26   #57

Have you looked at Don Mckintyre's 2018 Golden Globe Race web site? The boats approved for the race are featured, and make good reading/dreaming. Great idea to learn in a dinghy, however, you will quickly graduate to a larger boat. Multihulls are great but need a well developed understanding of seamanship. A good sea kindly mono keelboat is probably the go. I have sold my Farrier 31 trimaran and bought an '87 S&S34 and love it. The tri was fast, awesome fun & safe if not over canvassed. The S&S is just pure pleasure, solo or with company.
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 03:12   #58

Boat: Bristol 27

You may want start by learning to sail then go from there. Knowing boating helps also.

Then there's the weather and tides etc.

After learning and doing this for a few years then consider longer distance singlehanded sailing.

It might be best at first to learn singlehand sailing in a protected environment such as a lake or bay.

Someone said earlier it might be a good idea to wear a bike helmet. If you need a bike helmet, you are definitely not ready to sail offshore alone

Singlehand sailing books that prepare you for the SHTP are out of your league at the moment. You may want to start at the beginning and work your way up over these next few years before you retire.

Get a small sailboat now.....

Speaking of small sailboats (and dreaming) a Cal 20, Moore 24, Cal 2/27, Merit 25, and a Bristol 27 have all completed the Singlehand Transpac Race (SHTP) which is a race from San Francisco to Hawaii about 2,120 nm

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-web...tsThru2012.htm
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 03:51   #59

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
IMO dealing with a headsail on a pitching foredeck is one of the most dangerous aspects of sailing. Even more so when solo.

The halyard wrapping around the furler is the most common reason for a jam and very easy to prevent by having proper angle and tension on the halyard.

When the weather is threatening and I am bone tired, I really really appreciate being able shorten the headsail from the cockpit.

And this guy is on a much more stable 41 foot boat. Try it on a 26'-27' sailboat.

This guy can tell you how much "fun" solo/singlehanded sailing can be (at first). Notice the harness. No need for a trailing line if you have a harness and short tether.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:15   #60

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Generally speaking, to do so requires a fair bit more thinking ahead, & through the steps of what's involved in various evolutions. Vs. when you have crew onboard.
This especially applies to plannig for emergencies, & having thought through the options as to what may go wrong at any given time, & how to handle them.

Also, some of the deck & sail handling gear needs to be confibured a bit differently. And a lot of good information on the topic can be found here Singlehanded Sailing Society | San Francisco Shorthanded Racing Including by clicking on the "Resources" link therein, where you can then download part of a book written by a Gent with a LOT of single handing experience. And his book's for sale via Amazon & other vendors.
It's worth the coin (SIC).

And one other resource is the blogs of singlehanded racers. From guys who just do day races, to those who circumnavigate. They cover a lot of things that when you read them, strike you as common sense, but as a Homer Simpson "DOH!" moment at the same time.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing