Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 09:44   #31

Boat: Dufour 35 1973
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

When sailing solo it pays off to invest in an autopilot that has MOB-functionality. Mine has a bluetooth connection with my smartphone. I wear the phone in an watertight bag round my neck. When the pilot loses connrection with the phone it steers hard to port after ten seconds. The phone also doubles as a wireless remote controll for the pilot.
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 09:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
So many kind replies. Thank you all! I am going to, based on what seems sensible from all your suggestions, take the sailing 101 and 103 course here in Colorado. Perhaps join a sailing club. Then I'll charter somewhere for a bit, maybe get my own little day sailed and take it from there. What a helpful forum this is! The triathlon forums can get a bit catty.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Don't worry.... your time will come!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:09   #33

Boat: Prout

Soloed Atlantic 3 times and heading for Pacific. Wouldn't want anything else but solo
1. I'm not responsible for anyone's health, safety on board
2. No one to fall out with
3. They, unbeknown to you bring drugs on board and you've lost your yacht and faced with accommodation in prison
4 Noone pressuring to get to a destination for deadline!
5. Loneliness? If you cannt live with yourself why expect anyone else to. If I want a grumpy day I can have one without inflicting it on others!!! 😠

Negatives,

Some places would be ideal to have a body on board when going ashore due to security concerns, even if then you can keep the dinghy on board whilst one is shore

2. In foul weather another pair of hands is good when docking. But how often do live aboard go into Marinas plus most marina staff would help if requested, some even do anyway

The best partner is your yacht, if you've chosen her right you'll both look after each other and get on well
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:09   #34

Not a pipe dream at all, in fact it's my exact plan! Been working towards it since I was 18, have one more contract to finish up basically 2 years.
Started liquidating property this year, down to the house I live in and starting to get rid of possesions.
I can't wait to go.
I do have one concern though and it has nothing to do with sailing, I'm worried about getting bored within a week of getting someplace and just wanting to go sailing again!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:21   #35

Boat: Seaward 25

Take your sailing lessons up at Blue Mesa or Dillon. It has often been said if you can sail in either of those great sailing venues, you can sail anywhere. We prefer Blue Mesa, a little more isolated but the most reliable wind we have found anywhere. Dillon has a little better sailing community though. Blue Mesa caters more to the fishing crowd.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:25   #36

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Not an unrealistic goal at all provided you become well versed in safety, emergency procedures, repairs, navigation, and of course the boat you choose is not so large as to be overwhelming.
The above is the advice I would give. Spend at least a year reading these forums and you will learn a lot about your ideal boat. I lived aboard a powerboat about 15 years ago. I plan on doing something completely different this time around when I retire in 2 years. When I first started reading this forum, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. I have since changed my mind at least twice and now have it narrowed down to the details such as what kind of head I want to put up with.

Boats are a lot of work, so expect that. Then there's the issue of not being "jacked into the matrix" as often (and by that I mean less TV, internet, available groceries, restaurants, busy schedules, etc....the constant input of information). Believe it or not, some people can't handle that.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:35   #37

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

I'm pretty much in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you. I have a little experience sailing but only enough to be considered dangerous! I've already bought the boat (an immaculate Tayana 37) and have been taking the navigation and seamanship courses that the RYA offers. I have two years left in a work contract and then plan to sail the coast of Newfoundland in the summer of 2018. Going to use this as my shakedown cruise to get to know the boat as well as my own capabilities and the plan is to have more experienced sailors with me on individual legs of the trip. If all goes well on this cruise then I will seriously be thinking of a circumnavigation. I just turned 60 so I am no spring chicken...but my lifes work has always been quite physical (being a carpenter) so another 10-15 years of good health will help see me through this dream. I'm glad to see so many positive posts to your question as it helps to build my confidence....but like they say....only time will tell!
longboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:04   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm 71, not in especially good shape and type 1 diabetic. Have single handing for years including a TransPac on my 35' Pearson. Will do a NE Pacific circumnavigation Kona to Alaska and back next summer if I get my act together.

Have set the boat up with double line reefing led to cockpit. Added Lewmar 43 self tailing winches and moved the inadequate non self tailing 40s to secondaries. The WindPilot Pacific Plus steers the boat if it's sailing and a Raymarine X5 tiller pilot for powering. Of course an electric windlass.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:13   #39

Solo sailing is mostly mental, very little to do with physical strength. Old, young, handicapped, blind, and lord knows who else have done ocean passages just fine. Its your attitude and ability to keep your fears in check; all the rest is pure diligence.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:43   #40

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I find that interesting. How do you get from Kansas to Florida and back?
Not to mention paying for the haulout expenses on a 45' ketch?
I don't live on the boat in Kansas, I have a farm there, now the only expense is taxes with it, and that is not much. Unfortunately it has gone downhill quite a lot, and I have been the victim of some crime. I let some people live there for free and they didn't take care of it, now it can't be lived in without a significant fix up, but I have a couple mobile homes on the property, still able to provide shelter. On the boat, I have friends that let me use a dock for exchange of some work around the place. I never go into a marina, I find someplace to drop anchor and use a dinghy, which I row to a free dock, I carry a bike in the dinghy and use it to get around town. If I have to go a long distance I have the little 125 motorcycle. It is an antique and registered in Florida where you don't need insurance as long as you wear a helmet. Almost everything I do has some connection to reducing expenses. I haven't had to haul out yet, I bought the boat on the hard, and was able to do a lot of work and launch there for free. When I do need to haul out, I will find the cheapest place to do my own work. I'm sure when I'm up north, I'll probably just dry out with the tide next to dock, and use that.

I have figured out how to do repairs on the hull without pulling the boat out of the water. I enjoy challenges and figuring out creative solutions to them. I have designed and built a folding full size bike with 26 inch wheels that fits small carry on luggage, and even had a 2cycle engine to turn it into a moped. Figured the 2cycle would have no oil or gas in it and could fly if you get rid of the gas tank. The tank was a pop bottle, 40:1 mix oil was in my cosmetic kit. The airline said it could never fly if the engine ever had gas in it, I'm not sure if I believe them.

I still need to build the folding frame for the motorcycle so it stores better on the boat and can travel in the dinghy. I have a machine shop on board as well as a welder and all other tools. I enjoy life. I have ridden the weedeater powered bike from Kansas to Florida, 275 mpg, $22 for gas, 28 mph with full packs and camping equipment. That was with a 4 cycle engine, the 2 cycle got 330 mpg, but only 22 mph. I need to figure a better drive than friction on the tire, but the new mechanism still needs a clutch that when the motor is disengaged the bike has no extra friction, and the engine starts when the clutch in engaged and you are moving. It has to be real simple to be reliable. I'm still thinking on this one too.
Old 26-11-2015, 13:29   #41

I decided not to start small and move up... I took sailing class on solings... and then picked a size which had enough creature comfort, was suitable for offshore and then bought a roomy 36 which I have had for 30 years. I miss faster passages of a longer water line... but there's more expense and more work in maintenance as you get into the 40s and the 50s.

If you are mostly single handing... why do you need a 50' boat? That would seem positively luxurious to me! Find a good sailer... one which offers comfort in the cockpit and below decks... and a boat that can be set up for single handing. Sailing without the NEED for crew is the best. I don't need someone to go someplace in my car... why would I want to NEED someone to be able to go some place in my boat?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 13:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

I don't need someone to go someplace in my car... why would I want to NEED someone to be able to go some place in my boat?
Very, very good one.

The other one I heard, perhaps from Peter, is to treat the edge of your deck like a 500 foot cliff.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 14:10   #43

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Hi there. Total newbie. Thinking of retiring in 7-10 years and the idea of solo sailing is appealing for many reasons. I enjoy solitude and would love to explore the world or park at my own pace and discretion. I am not misanthropic and wouldn't mind a companion, but I'm not counting on it and don't expect it. Is it realistic to go into this with the idea of solo sailing from the start? Should I plan on having a crew, etc.? I plan on learning to sail over the next few years, chartering, etc. I'm just wondering if this is nothing but a pipe dream.

Cheers,

Veto
Welcome Veto,
I've read through all the responses so far you have and all pretty positive which is fantastic and a little unusual for CF

My plan is pretty much the same as yours. I'm planning on retiring in 10 years time now. I'm building up to solo sailing due only because my wife doens't like doing transits, but she will fly to places to meet me and sail around Islands etc. So, I'm spending the next ten years (as I have spent the last 4 years) getting my 36 foot ketch set up to solo sail. I did my first solo sail over three days only a few months ago and had CF members giving me advice and hints as I went. Quite funny actually as I got the sail stuck up and couldn't keep her into the wind when I needed to reef.

If your seven to ten years away, I'd be highly recommending you get a boat sooner rather than later and start playing with it. Getting used to it, modifying it, fixing it and setting it up ready for your retirement.

By all means get experience with others, but you will learn much more doing than you will crewing. The exception is weather and navigating which I'd recommend you do course's for. A course on Diesels and electrics would help too. But the 'sailing' bit is not rocket science. Being safety conscious type of person is the main priority when it comes to sailing safely and appropriately equipped boat.

For me in preparing to sail solo, having an AIS was invaluable. Lots of debate on CF about them but generally the concensus is that they are a fantastic idea.

Solo sailing for me will be simply a necessity if I want the freedom to go. The three days I was out this year I was surprised that I really missed my wife, so I doubt I could go for months without her. I also found it scary at times, though I might have been shivering due to the damn cold weather I went out in. I'd take a guess and say I'm not a natural solo sailor.

This summer (Dec to April) I intend on doing my first transit solo which will be a couple of hundred miles. That will test my resolve for the future.

So, go for it. But get some type of boat now and start preparing. 7 - 10 years is not a lot of time when you are not full time sailing. It will go very very quickly.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 14:50   #44

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I always put on my harness when I climbed through the campanionway, trailed a water ski tow rope from the stern. Ski rope was more of a security blanket then a viable rescue option. Of course an improperly installed jackline allows the user to dangle from the the side of the boat while attempting to climb back onboard or slowly getting beat to a pulp. Even small mistakes and mishaps can have grave consequences when you are alone.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 14:58   #45

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Hi there. Total newbie. Thinking of retiring in 7-10 years and the idea of solo sailing is appealing for many reasons. I enjoy solitude and would love to explore the world or park at my own pace and discretion. I am not misanthropic and wouldn't mind a companion, but I'm not counting on it and don't expect it. Is it realistic to go into this with the idea of solo sailing from the start? Should I plan on having a crew, etc.? I plan on learning to sail over the next few years, chartering, etc. I'm just wondering if this is nothing but a pipe dream.

Cheers,

Veto

Go to this link and down load 180 pdf free book of single handed sailing 3rd edition.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

One thing that solo sailing teaches you, is to think and plann well ahead...a book that is far better then any I read, and it is free. Enjoy the experence.

SV Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing