Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-12-2015, 18:34   #181

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoveto View Post
Hi there. Total newbie. Thinking of retiring in 7-10 years and the idea of solo sailing is appealing for many reasons. I enjoy solitude and would love to explore the world or park at my own pace and discretion. I am not misanthropic and wouldn't mind a companion, but I'm not counting on it and don't expect it. Is it realistic to go into this with the idea of solo sailing from the start? Should I plan on having a crew, etc.? I plan on learning to sail over the next few years, chartering, etc. I'm just wondering if this is nothing but a pipe dream.

Cheers,

Veto

Interesting evolution from these simple requests to mandating the solo sailors kit bag to include a bike helmet.

You boys are sumpin'.

I sleep better on the hook

Old 01-12-2015, 19:15   #182
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Interesting evolution from these simple requests to mandating the solo sailors kit bag to include a bike helmet.

You boys are sumpin'.
Yes its absolute drivel.

If anyone gives a damn about the subject of solo sailing here is my advice: its really quite easy. Get off your ass go give it a try. You will find you quite enjoy it and there's no need to special equipment or special boats or special fears.

Oh, btw, I just worked out that with my 20,000 aprox ocean miles sailing solo I must be one of the more experienced in the forum.
So if you are told some really peanut advice (like wearing bike helmets) please feel free to msg me direct.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:26   #183

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
You have busted 2 helmets, I've had a hundred crashes and protected my head in each one of them, You are one of those people that just can't imagine that somebody could have a different opinion than you, there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally I'm sorry that your bike club had that rule, because maybe if they didn't then there would be one less of your type we have to deal with. Obviously my soccer training and other sports, in addition to riding a bike thousands of miles before a bike helmet was even thought of has prepared me well for my riding style. I'm sorry that you have made me decide to lower myself to this name calling stupidity. I apologize to everybody else, also. It just could be possible that some of those jerks that ended up in your care, maybe not with head wounds, but other life threatening situations, ended up there because they had a helmet on, maybe your helmet keep you from being able to look back quickly, maybe your head was too hot to be able to make a good decision and you strayed into the other bike. Many things are possible, I only know what has happened to me and quite happy with the status quo. I've made it 50 some years riding a bike on the street, with very little damage. I tried a helmet and it was not for me. Label me a JERK. They say it takes one to know one.

I never have smoked anything in my life. I also eat healthy, watch my weight, exercise regularly, canoe, kayak, bike, row and check my blood pressure regularly. Must be a JERK is somebody that cares for themselves, gets the facts and makes good decisions. After all I lived through a rather deadly motorcycle accident by making a good quick decision. I think you should make a good decision and shut up.
A hundred crashes I personally think you should start wearing one riding your MC before your nine lives run out.

As for using a helmut for sailing, I agree with you, completely not necessary, UNLESS your competing in one of the fast cat races, which then I'd suggest it's 'becoming' a good idea.
Old 01-12-2015, 19:30   #184

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes its absolute drivel.

If anyone gives a damn about the subject of solo sailing here is my advice: its really quite easy. Get off your ass go give it a try. You will find you quite enjoy it and there's no need to special equipment or special boats or special fears.

Oh, btw, I just worked out that with my 20,000 aprox ocean miles sailing solo I must be one of the more experienced in the forum.
So if you are told some really peanut advice (like wearing bike helmets) please feel free to msg me direct.

Mark

And one of the most humble too!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:10   #185
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
And one of the most humble too!
And my other great attribute is modesty...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:45   #186

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

This guy's in Colorado........

He can buy just about any boat that has a sail on it and begin at once. Then after a year or so repost his question.

He then might have a clue what some of these guys are talking about.

As far as bike helmets, someone brought it up way early on worrying I reckon about newbies and booms.

My experience with bike helmets and sailboats especially those around 27' is that the bike helmet causes you to hit your head on every conceivable thing on the boat.

I ride my bike to the boat sometimes to get stuff like a tool (or a can of beans) and attempt to go about it in full cycling kit which includes cleated cycling shoes and a helmet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cycl...MHRUvOUVm6M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=cycl...Aizz-MPVO3M%3A

Now THAT is a dangerous activity.................

Last weekend I did just that (cycled to the boat) to remove my sails but removed both my shoes and helmet before boarding the boat.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:20   #187

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

One of the constant complaints on the Not Nice forum is that discussions deteriorate rapidly into ad hominum attacks, as they have here. While calling someone a jerk or less-than-humble are mild in comparison, the intent is surely the same as saying a poster is an #$^&#ing *(&^%wit!

I suspect we all grok that racing in any sport might generate a need, even a desire to wear a helmet. No one is arguing otherwise. For cruising sailors? Not so much. Indeed, by the time yer get the cockpit enclosed, the boom is not much of a danger anymore ... at least to yer head.

Those of us who grew up in simpler, happier times before tort lawyers, seat belts, and participation trophies realize that life is risky. And perhaps some of the acknowledged risk is what makes it worth doing.

The usual argument about solo sailing is watch keeping. In the good old days, there were few ships and flotsam/jetsam to run into but that has all changed now. What has also changed is the array of tools available, so it's still down to the talkers v. the walkers.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32   #188

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
For cruising sailors? Not so much. Indeed, by the time yer get the cockpit enclosed, the boom is not much of a danger anymore ... at least to yer head.
Many of us don't have enclosed cockpits, and we have floating booms, but still don't wear a helmets. (on our sailboats)

But I guess someone was worried about the safety of a guy learning to sail a sunfish across a lake in Colorado.

So then the thread went from helmets to watch keeping to sail across a one mile wide lake in Colorado. You can never be too careful I reckon.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:53   #189

Boat: Cal 29

Sailor's helmet:

Old 02-12-2015, 07:58   #190

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

On my boat I'd have to fold back the bimini and do some Masai dancing before the boom and my head risk connecting

I do have a helmet on board but that is purely because I also have the get to climb up the mast solo. I would not bother with it in the marina but if I ever find myself at sea and must go up the mast, then I'll probably wear it.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26   #191
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I do have a helmet on board but that is purely because I also have the get to climb up the mast solo. I would not bother with it in the marina but if I ever find myself at sea and must go up the mast, then I'll probably wear it.
Top Heavy..??
or just to keep the splatter minimal...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:51   #192

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Top Heavy..??
or just to keep the splatter minimal...
a bit of both

and it will all be captured on video for posting online

Old 02-12-2015, 10:45   #193

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Leave the proponents of the bike helmets alone guys...their opinions are relevant! If you'd been cracked on the noggin one time too many (which seems to probably be the case here) you'd all be in agreement with them I'd wager!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:04   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes its absolute drivel.

Mark
f.
Oh come on Mark, I want to see you in one of those Lime peel helmets...pleassse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat-hat-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	114194  
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08   #195
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Those of us who grew up in simpler, happier times before tort lawyers, seat belts, and participation trophies realize that life is risky. And perhaps some of the acknowledged risk is what makes it worth doing.
Say it isn't so! I going back to my home and locking the door!

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: