Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 13:22   #166

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

Helmet For Sale. $149.99 Cyber Monday Sale!

Til midnight wherever your locale, except for that folks already living tomorrow are out of luck. This helmet has been Specialized™ for America's Cup Certified Crew Members, among billions of others.

All the rage . Rated Koolist Kap Ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	114102  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 13:29   #167

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Re: Tell me about Solo Sailing

I just realized the guy that busted the 2 helmets was not the guy that operates on the JERKS, basically calling me a jerk, sorry about that.

My comments were only aimed at a guy that calls people a JERK for not wearing a helmet.

I was only expressing my opinion about helmets. I will add that bike riding as well as any strenuous exercise builds up a lot of internal body heat and the head radiates more heat than any other part of the body, put a cover over that and your core temperature will rise dramatically. Good decision making goes out the window with an elevated core temp. If you want to wear one while sailing, should be no problem with core temp, but hard bike riding is a different animal all together. Maybe a helmet with liquid cooling, and then a motor to drag all the excess weight, and then solar cells to charge the batteries that run the motor. Life used to be simple. Just give me a bike, a water bottle, a T shirt, sneakers and a pair of shorts, I'm good to go. All this costs much less than the (LOL) ridiculously cheap bike helmet above.

That gets us back to the topic, one of the things important for solo sailing, and sailing in general, saving money so you can afford to not work and spend your time enjoying sailing.
Old 30-11-2015, 14:00   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I just realized the guy that busted the 2 helmets was not the guy that operates on the JERKS, basically calling me a jerk, sorry about that.

My comments were only aimed at a guy that calls people a JERK for not wearing a helmet.

I was only expressing my opinion about helmets. I will add that bike riding as well as any strenuous exercise builds up a lot of internal body heat and the head radiates more heat than any other part of the body, put a cover over that and your core temperature will rise dramatically. Good decision making goes out the window with an elevated core temp. If you want to wear one while sailing, should be no problem with core temp, but hard bike riding is a different animal all together. Maybe a helmet with liquid cooling, and then a motor to drag all the excess weight, and then solar cells to charge the batteries that run the motor. Life used to be simple. Just give me a bike, a water bottle, a T shirt, sneakers and a pair of shorts, I'm good to go. All this costs much less than the (LOL) ridiculously cheap bike helmet above.

That gets us back to the topic, one of the things important for solo sailing, and sailing in general, saving money so you can afford to not work and spend your time enjoying sailing.

If your referring to me, I did not say anyone not wearing a helmet was being a jerk. Lord knows,we did not wear helmets except for storm and hurricane situations.I did say your diatribes seem rather immature, juvenile if you will.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 14:16   #169

LOL get on youtube and watch some of last years Tour 'd France, every rider is wearing a helmet ALL the time, why are they all not dropping from heat?
They have had to for a long time now, since sometime in the 90's, I know we had to start in '88 or 89 at the amatuer level, pro's had to a few years later. Nobody I knew/still know suffered from any heat issues training or racing, I know I never did.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 15:08   #170

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

All I can do is speak from my experience, I don't call people jerks, I don't say they have not had any sailing experience, I don't say they sound immature or juvenile. I just know when I tried to wear a helmet my head got far to hot. so I don't wear one. That should be good enough and easy enough for anybody to understand. end of story. Sure you can get hurt on a boat, you can also get hurt in your bedroom.
Old 30-11-2015, 15:24   #171

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
You have busted 2 helmets.
Yes, I have broken two bike helmets.

Like I said before, the group I rode with stipulated that you had to where a helmet.

Our ride average speed was around 24 mph. We cruised at 32 mph for long stretches say 5 miles or so. Sometimes there were as many as 50-60 riders all within a foot or two of each other in the peloton

The point is after 70-100 miles of these speeds you would be a bit tired especially if you were 52 years old as I was riding with the younger folks. My group was the triathletes and the bike racers. I didn't ride with the slow folks.

Btw, I didn't read but a couple sentences of your post. I was reading Anne of Green Gables all day today so I was tired of reading. And your post seemed to be going in a very negative direction.....Anne (with and e) wouldn't approve

Have you read it? It's very good.

Maybe I am used to getting my way a bit. (I did get that far in a glance in your post, but the reason I didn't go further was because it seemed you intended to kick everybody's ass and also take down their names and put them in your book)

I think it comes with the territory when you are the Boss.

So now when you think of me just think well, the Boss told me that helmets should be warn at all times.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 15:30   #172

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I knew of a guy who wore a motorcycle helmet while sailing, 3/4 style with a full clear plastic face shield. Why? Because he had collected one too many flying fish in the head while on night watch.

As for me, I seriously doubt I'll ever wear a helmet while sailing.
I always wear one on a motorcycle. After a number of years racing I feel naked without it.
I don't ride bicycles, they're too dangerous.
Old 30-11-2015, 16:05   #173

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
All I can do is speak from my experience, I don't call people jerks, I don't say they have not had any sailing experience, I don't say they sound immature or juvenile. I just know when I tried to wear a helmet my head got far to hot. so I don't wear one. That should be good enough and easy enough for anybody to understand. end of story. Sure you can get hurt on a boat, you can also get hurt in your bedroom.
A helmet in the bedroom.... hmmm
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 19:39   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I wear a helmet wherever I go. It keeps me safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cat-hat-1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	114124  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 19:43   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Here my best friend is safe from VHF and SSB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	catfoil.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	114125  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 20:33   #176

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I wear a helmet wherever I go. It keeps me safe.
One time I was sailing with my young kids. We were safely at an anchorage for the night. For some stupid reason, I cracked my head on the bulkhead that separates the head from the main cabin. I thought I was going to pass out. I had taught my kids how to do a MAYDAY call on the VHF. As I was blacking out, I said to my kids "Oh great, I'm dead, better call a MAYDAY". But instead, they just laughed. They laughed so hard...they laughed till their bellies hurt. I just lay there on the floor with a massive headache for a while, but they thought it was the best thing ever. Soon enough I felt better too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5259.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	114126  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 21:48   #177

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One time I was sailing with my young kids. We were safely at an anchorage for the night. For some stupid reason, I cracked my head on the bulkhead that separates the head from the main cabin. I thought I was going to pass out. I had taught my kids how to do a MAYDAY call on the VHF. As I was blacking out, I said to my kids "Oh great, I'm dead, better call a MAYDAY". But instead, they just laughed. They laughed so hard...they laughed till their bellies hurt. I just lay there on the floor with a massive headache for a while, but they thought it was the best thing ever. Soon enough I felt better too.
Great story.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 22:33   #178
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Yes, i have operated on a bunch of jerks who refused to wear bike helmets and thus caused us to waste precious medical resources to deal with their brain damages. Irresponsible and juvenile are words that come to mind about your post. But I certainly would not want you to feel offended.
With respect, if you didn't want to be stitching people back together you should never have become a surgeon. People have a right to do what they want and live their lives how they want, you don't have the right to tell people what to do because you might have to fix something afterwards. If wearing a helmet is illegal, let the police deal with it. If it's not illegal, stop whinging.

It really boils my p*** when stuff like this happens. It's like police wanting to access all of our personal data without a warrant because it makes their jobs easier.

As usual, there are many more considerations at play than just whether you have to stitch someone back up again.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 23:55   #179

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Are you being serious I'm finding it hard to tell I mean with all of this stuff claiming helmets heat your brain temp up I mean, fair crack of the whip it's funny but I'm not sure you intended it to be
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 00:56   #180
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I'm also a cyclist and helmets with good ventilation abound and are cheap. If I can wear one in 30+ degree heat for over four hours whilst cycling then I can't see sailing being a problem...
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing