Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 05:06   #1

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Send a message via Yahoo to Knucklehead
Taser

I keep reading about the pros/cons of having weapons that shoot projectiles on board cruisers.
What's the thought towards Tasers, specifically the Taser C2?
Karl
Old 28-05-2012, 05:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Taser

Depends on where you are. Some countries a Taser is legally a weapon and subject to the same restrictions (and penalties) as owning a gun.

Downsides: limited range (not much good against a gun several feet away), can address only one target (what do you do if 2-3 people invade your cabin).

But it is (usually) non lethal and eliminates that question.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:28   #3

Are you trained in hand to hand combat, martial arts? I'd use an oar or pole and guarantee you won't get close enough with a hand held taser. You'll probably lose it and have it used on you without training.

I'm told in my area that a shooting taser is not available for the public, if taht's what you are talking about......what do ya do if there are two bad guys, aren't they a single shot?

I gave a hand held taser to my GF's 25 yr old daughter and showed her how to use it, I'm confident she can, she's in top condition and leads wilderness expeditions and recreational outings.

I know that bang bangs are taboo subjects for world cruisers but I'm hanging around the states, soooo.... and it's still a PITA....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 06:46   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I'd rather connect 110/220 Volts to the lifelines. And replace the top one with barbed wire.

Have seen this commonly applied in rich suburbs of RSA.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 07:31   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Or just put broken glass in the varnish on the rails !! LOL
Old 28-05-2012, 08:11   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Why in the world would you go to all of the expense of boat owmership and cruising, and give up all of the conveniences of life ashore to put yourself in a situation where you feel you need to protect yourself by doing harm to a stranger?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Why in the world would you go to all of the expense of boat owmership and cruising, and give up all of the conveniences of life ashore to put yourself in a situation where you feel you need to protect yourself by doing harm to a stranger?
Excellent point John. If you feel threatened on your boat, then do you really want to go ashore?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:59   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

David-
"If you feel threatened on your boat, then do you really want to go ashore? "
Sometimes you need to get from "here" to "there" and the places in between simply can't be avoided. Or weren't expected and planned for.
This is why we also carry fire extinguishers. Not because we plan on using them, but because they're really handy if you DO need one.

Karl-
That taser will be treated as a firearm in many places. The standard in firearms training is never draw unless you're going to shoot, never shoot unless you're willing to kill. Never buy or carry the firearm unless you're willing to use it, to kill.

A taser? Nice compromise, but again, if you have to think about it, or worry about getting arrested for having it...better not to get it in the first place.

Buy a nice stainless steel spray can (like a can of spray paint, but you put in your own liquids and pressurize the can) from Grainger or McMaster. Find one with a longer range spray. Fill with fresh ammonia and tabasco.

OK, now you're non-lethal and you've got the finest "bear spray" on the planet, when and if you need to load it. Just remember, close your eyes and hold your breath until you get upwind of it. And if the nasty man has a machete...there's a reason they say shoot to kill.

There are plenty of household products that say "DO NOT GET IN EYES, DO NOT INHALE FUMES..." any one of which would be unremarkable in a boat's galley.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Depends on where you are. Some countries a Taser is legally a weapon and subject to the same restrictions (and penalties) as owning a gun...
“... TASER Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) are not considered firearms by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATF) because the TASER cartridge uses compressed, inert nitrogen gas to launch the probes instead of gun powder.
It is legal to own a TASER C2 ECD in the U.S. except in HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WI, and the District of Columbia. Other states (& Cities) might have limited restrictions on the use or possession of ECDs ...”

See ➥ Myths and Facts

And ➥ Stun Gun, Mace Spray, Pepper Spray and TASER Restrictions

COUNTRIES IN WHICH STUN GUNS ARE RESTRICTED:
AUSTRALIA
BELGIUM
CANADA
DENMARK
HONG KONG
INDIA (POLICE USE ONLY)
ITALY
JAPAN
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
SWEDEN
SWITERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:22   #10

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Not trying to ramp up a gunthread but...

How many cruisers have been killed/seriously injured by thieves, not real pirates, etc.??
I'm thinking not that many percentage wise. I would think most thieves have NO intentions of really harming anyone... they just want your stuff.
Compared to loss of life... let 'em have it. Stuff is just stuff.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:23   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
"are not considered firearms by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATF) because the TASER cartridge uses compressed, inert nitrogen gas to launch "
Incidentally, that's BATFE, they changed their acronym years ago. But many places define "firearm" very widely as being anything that launches any projective by any means, specifically including springs, compressed gas, or telekinesis. (Kidding on the TK.)

That's the problem, who wants to know, much less keep up with the annual rule changes. The TSA bans weapons but allows us to fly with Cross pens. The very same Cross pens that were CIA issue in the 60's, as covert weapons.

Taser? One shot. Machete? Never runs out of ammunition. And except for a chinese imperial dynasty, never banned in civilian use, either. (Chinese civilians were banned from possessing ANY metal implement for many decades, which is the real story of why the peasants used chopsticks. I have no idea which dynasty that was.)
Old 28-05-2012, 11:29   #12

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
David-

Buy a nice stainless steel spray can (like a can of spray paint, but you put in your own liquids and pressurize the can) from Grainger or McMaster. Find one with a longer range spray. Fill with fresh ammonia and tabasco.

OK, now you're non-lethal and you've got the finest "bear spray" on the planet, when and if you need to load it. Just remember, close your eyes and hold your breath until you get upwind of it. And if the nasty man has a machete...there's a reason they say shoot to kill.

There are plenty of household products that say "DO NOT GET IN EYES, DO NOT INHALE FUMES..." any one of which would be unremarkable in a boat's galley.
I hear wasp spray is very effective and comes in a can designed for "stand-off"--20 feet or so. If you are at anchor and they are at the back of the boat the wind will generally be on your side. Very precise to aim at nests etc, should be a cinch to hit the miscreant in the eyes.
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 12:30   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yes, I just hope it works on miscreants better than it does on wasps. I used a can of that on carpenter bees (which like to hover like little dirigibles) and they just shook it off and asked if there was any charge to take the ride again.
Old 28-05-2012, 12:39   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
I hear wasp spray is very effective and comes in a can designed for "stand-off"--20 feet or so. If you are at anchor and they are at the back of the boat the wind will generally be on your side. Very precise to aim at nests etc, should be a cinch to hit the miscreant in the eyes.
Wasp spray has been proven to NOT work.

I don't have the link but I saw it here at CF.

PS. I tried some here for fun on wasps. Pick up can, aim, FIRE! Not once am I able to come within two feet (at 15 feet). Only able to get close and sweep in. If I used my pistol(s) I can guarantee a 4" spread, max. Shooting up the house is not part of pest elimination here.

So there. Now it is a gun thread.
Old 28-05-2012, 12:46   #15

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Wasp spray has been proven to NOT work.

I don't have the link but I saw it here at CF.
Fair enough, I would be inclined to believe that too if you say so. Clearly the products in those cans are detrimental to an insect and would surely harm us at concentrated doses. Suspect the wasp spray is an oily liquid with small percentages of a very long type word/poison that could harm humans over long exposure. It might have the desired effect on the thief due to surprise or some sort of defense mounted by potential victim (me) or it might make them really mad.
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote