Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-04-2013, 16:18   #1

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Tampa Bay Area: Need Suggestions for Sailboat Marina

Looking for a Marina to pull into for a year or so in the greater Tampa Bay area... Is anyone aware of a Self-Service type marina where the "use of" Hoists, Power Washers, and Ramps are INCLUDED in your monthly/annual membership? (or at least min per use charge) We have a lot of DIY Projects to take care of and sure would be nice if they had a hoist for a 39' at our disposal. We need to change out zincs, repair Osmosis blistering, bottom job, and new cutlass bearing... (list is longer-- but you get the idea by now)

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations,

Thomas & Kelly

Old 09-04-2013, 16:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Tampa Bay Area: Need Suggestions for Sailboat Marina

I am in the area now, and am not aware of any that have what you are looking for. You might want to try a search to see if any topics come up. I certainly am not aware of any marina that would include the use of a hoist... your just going to have to budget for that.

Old 09-04-2013, 16:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

I can't think of any yard that includes the use of a hoist large enough for 39ft bots.... I used to belong to the SPYC sailing center and we would use the hoist there to drop the j24 in the water...
Old 09-04-2013, 19:19   #4

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I have a 47'/40,000 lb steel sailboat in a very small marina in Tarpon Springs called Mar Marina. They have a big travelift, forklift, nice clean yard with excellent power, water and compressed air at every boat; and are incredibly friendly, laid back and helpful folks. You won't be able to use the lift/forklift or equipment like that yourself - no one is going to let you run their very expensive gear - but they've been very helpful in terms of quick lifts, extra hands, loan of a tool or two, spare ladders etc. DIY work is the norm - you just have to be respectful of others spaces and clean up; and work from 8-5, m-f. No work on weekends. very reasonable rates.

I can't say enough good things about these folks and their yard. class act of an operation, where there are fisherman, small recreational boaters and cruisers all hauled alongside and working well. They are super small though, and can only handle ~ 15-20 boats at any time.

Google them, and give Capt. Gene a call. he's a straight shooter.

bg
Old 09-04-2013, 20:06   #5

I going to make suggestion where you can work on your boat at Salt Creek Marina,, which is just south of downtown St. Petersburg
They have lift, washing boat down, but requirement is you have to buy their paint to paint bottom of your boat, no tool loaning. I was there last year for three month and price was 600.00 dollars month. There aren't too many places in this area were you can work on your own boat. I think this is closest one for subrounding areas you are looking for. Also there are places to get parts for your motor if need be in downtown (yachtpower Supply, Yanmar dealer is little way from there. The man to see is Keith Donaldson if you need sail repair in building above office of Salt Creek, he does really good work on Sail or replace sail.I would never used anyone else and prices are reasonable
If you need fiberglass repair, there is Fiberglass Coating Inc. everything in fiberglass you will ever need is there. It 20 minutes drive from Salt Creek. If you need rigging repair is next door over. So I hope this help you out because what ever you need it is close by for just about anything for sail boat.

Salt Creek Marina
107 15th Avenue S.E.
ST Pete
Phone 727-895-4481

It is easy to get to Salt Creek and depth is deep enough, so no going aground.
You have to go EAST of Sunshine Skyway, stay in the mark areas, Tampa Bay is very shallows.

If I think of any other things to help you out I will send another message.
I hope this really help you out, smooth sailing.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn L II View Post
Is anyone aware of a Self-Service type marina where the "use of" Hoists, Power Washers, and Ramps are INCLUDED in your monthly/annual membership?
Plain and simple, you are not going to find any marina that includes the use of a hoist in your monthly fees. That just isn't going to happen.

Within Tampa Bay, the only place that I know of that allows a significant amount of DIY is Salt Creek.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19   #7

Ok ok... I think we got it... "no hoist usage included in monthly anything"--- Ok... so I have heard of two Marina's in the Tampa Bay Area that look like we could call home there for a year or so... Any others? REALLY LOVED the idea of Salt Creek; shocked that there are 'few' that allow work to be conducted on a boat on the hard. (shrugging shoulders) I understand the business reason-- so please let's not turn this thread into an 'educational soapbox'... Thank you all for the input...
Old 10-04-2013, 19:07   #8

Boat: O'Day 302
The biggest problem with salt creek is its proximity to Fish Tales. The bar will constantly be calling...
Old 10-04-2013, 19:28   #9

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig

Head down to Port Charlotte. There are two DIY marinas. all American and Charlotte Harbor. Both will accommodate your needs
Old 10-04-2013, 19:35   #10

Boat: Sabre 42

+1 on Salt Creek Marina. Just hauled out there a couple of days ago and have been treated well. Someone at the yard told me that they are the only yard that allows DIY left in the area.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
+1 on Salt Creek Marina. Just hauled out there a couple of days ago and have been treated well. Someone at the yard told me that they are the only yard that allows DIY left in the area.
Hey Gary-- if you do not mind-- Private Message me-- would not mind exchanging contact information and chatting with you a bit about your experience? Their prices on the website seem to differ from experiences/reports I am heating via this grapevine chain... Have a great evening and look forward to chatting with you.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:57   #12

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Welcome to All American Covered Boat Storage - The Best Boat Storage in SW Florida

check this one. Near Port Charlotte.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: