Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 15:21   #1

Boat: Benetteau Oceanis
Suspiciously cheap travel insurance too good to be true?

Hi all,

We are a British couple hoping to cross the Atlantic this year and spend next winter in the Caribbean. We have boat insurance but I've been looking around for health insurance to cover us once we leave European waters. Neither of us are spring chickens and the skipper is a life long smoker (alas!) so I don't want to skimp on the health insurance. I have read on noonsite that health care can be dodgy in the Caribbean and that in the case of a major or complex health problem cruisers are sometimes flown to the US.
I've had a quote from an insurance company affiliated to Pantaenius (who now outsource their travel insurance) for a policy charging a mere £300 for both of us for a whole year. The policy states that it provides cover for medical emergency and repatriation if advised by a medical professional. All other insurance quotes (worldnomads, Bishop Skinner, IMG patriot) seem to be 4 or 5 times as expensive, so it seems too good to be true.

Has anybody had experience with Pantaenius travel insurance? Any advice about the key things to look out for in the small print? Also... how good is health care in the Caribbean? Martinique and Dominique are in the EU of course... maybe sailors can get treatment there?

While we are still in the EU... tick tock (sniff).

Thanks all!
Rachinwokingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 16:15   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran
Re: Suspiciously cheap travel insurance too good to be true?

I would guess that you are looking at a repatriation only policy. Our quote from Pantaenius was 10x that quote, (and neither of us smoke).
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 18:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I paid around $1000 US for a commonwealth NZ policy 10 years ago for adults in mid 30s so that does seem extremely cheap.
Old 06-01-2018, 21:27   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

That does sound too low. Check the pre-existing conditions clause. These often are overly restrictive to the point of not being practical on many of th einternational policies.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:44   #5

Boat: Benetteau Oceanis

Thanks guys,

Interesting that Pantaenius quoted 10 x as much for a couple in their thirties (I will be 50 and my partner 63). I wonder if the guy I called for a quote made a mistake and omitted a zero?
Rachinwokingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:25   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Something is off, that quote should be double at least. A quote for our Family of 5 (everyone under 45) in the Caribbean (excluding US territories) is about $2200 euro/year from Pantaenius.

As to healthcare down here.. Yes both Martinique and Guadaloupe are in the EU (Dominica is NOT) and have good healthcare. In fact we took our 9 year old to Emergency here in Martinique 3 weeks ago and the care/facilities was on par with Canada. However, it can be costly. A single day stay in the Hospital in Fort De France runs between $500-$2000euro depending on the type of care and room required. This is not for an emergency, but if you are admitted for something (like say appendix removal). The emergency visit cost about $100 euro and included a blood and urine test. A simple doctors visit (to renew perscription) costs about $30 euro here in Martinique.

Other islands with good (and cheaper) healthcare include St. Martin, Antigua, Grenada and Trinidad.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:56   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

You might want to take a look at the annual traveler's medical insurance plans offered by DAN (the Divers' Alert Network) here. I am unsure whether the plans are available where you're living/home ported but, if so, the policies are quite affordable and DAN is very reliable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:01   #8

Boat: Whitby 42

We are Canadians and use Diver Dan Insurance. It is not a health insurance plan but covers us world wide in case of emergencies. They will pay to stabilize the injured and then pay to return you to your country and let your medical plan pay for your recovery. Works for us and is very inexpensive ($100.00) for a family plan. The problem with US plans is they are all based on US hospital costs which are outrages.
macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42   #9

Boat: Bristol 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
The problem with US plans is they are all based on US hospital costs which are outrages.
Truer words were never spoken. We are a healthy family, and health insurance costs have nearly bankrupted us. Our system is broken. Don't buy any insurance based on U.S. care.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

But the greatest, bestest care ever......
Old 07-01-2018, 11:25   #11

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

My guess is that, if you look at the coverage carefully, it covers medical repatriation ONLY - not the actual health insurance coverage. In other words, it will get you to where you can get help and pay all the costs of getting there, but not the doctors' or hospital costs. Otherwise, everyone and their mother would be signing up for that plan. I've had a quote from the Pantaneus affiliate recently, and it was about $800 plus a month for two of us with a large deductible (we live aboard but have a residence in the States).

There is a DAN Europe to look at as the other member said. I think it is daneurope.org. On that plan, you can buy additional insurance which actually covers medical costs. Or you can just buy "repatriation" costs. Keep in mind that DAN usually only covers repatriation to the closest facility available to treat you. It will not fly you home. Having said that, we used DAN in the winter of 2017 and it was worth its weight in gold. $9,000 of costs for private jet from Georgetown, Exumas to Nassau and back for my husband and me (he was the sick one!). Called us every day to see how he was doing. For $100 a year for both of us, it was worth every penny. HIGHLY recommend it, no matter what health insurance you have.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:36   #12
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

We are paying $340/month for the two of us (Capt is 63, I am 54) through IMG. We have a high deductible and it covers everything except pre-existing conditions. If there are no issues with those pre-existing conditions for two years, then you are covered. For me, it means they won't cover another appendectomy (LOL). It also covers repatriation for emergencies. There are two options; one excludes the US, Canada and some Asian countries, and the other includes it. We chose to include it, but you also have to be out of the US for at least 6 months.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
We are paying $340/month for the two of us (Capt is 63, I am 54) through IMG. We have a high deductible and it covers everything except pre-existing conditions. If there are no issues with those pre-existing conditions for two years, then you are covered. For me, it means they won't cover another appendectomy (LOL). It also covers repatriation for emergencies. There are two options; one excludes the US, Canada and some Asian countries, and the other includes it. We chose to include it, but you also have to be out of the US for at least 6 months.
Isn't there a rather low cap on max care after the two year pre-existing condition exclusion?
Also, your definition of pre-existing condition may differ a lot from the insurance company's policy definition. One I looked at included 'any condition that you consulted a medical provider for or should have consulted a medical provider's. Pretty broad.
Old 07-01-2018, 15:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
But the greatest, bestest care ever......
That would explain why your countries health care is rated 40th in the world by the World Health Organization. The best health care in the world currently is France.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 16:07   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Isn't there a rather low cap on max care after the two year pre-existing condition exclusion?
Also, your definition of pre-existing condition may differ a lot from the insurance company's policy definition. One I looked at included 'any condition that you consulted a medical provider for or should have consulted a medical provider's. Pretty broad.
They said that it was anything that I stated on the questionnaire. I was a little perturbed about some of it. The questionnaire asks if you've EVER had x condition. So when it asked about a kidney infection, I said yes. Now I had one WHEN I WAS 3. That was 51 years ago. They wanted me to get documents from the doctor on it. I WAS 3. IT WAS 51 YEARS AGO. I'm sure the doctor is dead. Ugh.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, insurance