Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 15:24   #16

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Re: Summer in S. Fla

Fort Myers Beach has a nice mooring field, reasonably priced, good facilities. Close to everything you would need.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:53   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
If you want to go to the east coast Telemar Bay Marina in Satellite beach is a safe hurricane hole and there is limited sailing on the intercoastal and a short hop to the ocean, I am not affiliated with them but have kept my boat there last 4 hurricane seasons.. Quiet close to shopping and every thing else... Well there's my two cents
FYI: Telemar Bay does not allow liveaboards if your boat is less than 35 ft.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:21   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ft myers--matanzas inn-- moorings at about 11-15 dollars per nite--i fergot which--i dont know if they have a special monthly rate--i was transient for a week or so only...
manatee river is good anchoring in tampa bay -south of the main part of bay. muddy bottom with excellent holding and fair protection from most storms-- is always other side of river for other storms ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:55   #19

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Tom
I'm not a "Liveaboard", I'm on an extended vacation!
Old 14-06-2011, 14:58   #20

cruisers are treated as living aboard.
regqrding mtnzas inn mooring field-- some of the best pizza i have met outside of NY is in the restaurant second story by the dinghy docking area at mtanzas inn mooring fields.
Old 14-06-2011, 15:38   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I'm not a "Liveaboard", I'm on an extended vacation!
Marinas in south Florida have a very specific time frame for the number of days you can stay on your boat in a given period of time when they consider you a liveaboard. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:40   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Tom

Ahhh but matety there are people living a board less than 35.. my neighbor is 29.....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 02:05   #23

Boat: 36ft Timber Ketch
I've never lived aboard on a marina and I can't imagine I ever will. Wouldnt you prefer being on a swing mooring? Or anchored? The dingy trips are no hassle.
Nikos Baillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 04:08   #24

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

If you've got the standard Beneteau 40 you'll have 6'3" of keel under you... With that depth the east coast of Florida will be difficult in many places. West coast may be a better option if you're still learning about your boat. BVI/AVI might be good, but make sure you have a decent (and booked) bolthole.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 14:14   #25

Boat: Catalina Capri 26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlockhart View Post
South of Naples about 20 miles and north of Everglade City, about 7 miles up the Faka Union Canal is Port of the Islands Marina. Lots on Mangroves and hidey holes on the canal and the marina itself is pretty far inland which would help subdue a storm surge although the draft is an issue at low tide.
Hello,

I'm a newbie, and this is my first post. I've been looking into that very marina for my possible first live aboard situation. Currently have a Catalina Capri 26, but am considering moving up to a 34, or 36 MkII. Any information you might be able to give me on that area, and marina in particular would be welcome?
MrGrauadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 14:25   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i second the recommendation for telemar marina at dragon point on banana river on east coast of florida. plenty of deep water to get in and out even at night. the locals say it fared well in the storms of 2004 - 2005. indian harbour beach is a nice place especially in the winter months.
Old 25-03-2012, 15:04   #27

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrauadler View Post
Hello,

I'm a newbie, and this is my first post. I've been looking into that very marina for my possible first live aboard situation. Currently have a Catalina Capri 26, but am considering moving up to a 34, or 36 MkII. Any information you might be able to give me on that area, and marina in particular would be welcome?
Very inexpensive by South Florida standards. There are spots in the approach channels that are 3 feet at low tide, tides are about 2 1/2 feet. Floating docks all in very good condition. Very well protected in almost all conditions. A small live-aboard community already there, BUT. Many of the current live-aboards don't necessarily get along with each others. Lots of dock politics. Plus there is a hotel with nice amenities that you pay extra for BUT. Many of the hotel "rooms" are actually condos and the condo owners do not like the marina and the boaters. There is lots of issues with parking because the condo owners don't think the boaters should be parking on the properties. We have seen the "Maintenance Supervisor" for the condos screaming at a boater and threatening bodily harm in the parking lot because he was parked exactly where he was suppose to but someone didn't like it. Some of the condo owners go out of their way to make the boaters uncomfortable. It is not all of the owners but enough to make it a pain. The restrooms are cared for by the hotel and not cleaned well or often. The small laundry facilities belongs to the condo association and the boaters could loose access at any time. The showers are in the hotel and if you want to use them the cost is $50.00 per month for use of the pool, gym, lounge and showers. The showers and heads in the hotel are nice and clean. The restaurant will probably not open for a very long time and the ships store on site is about to close. You are 14 miles by road from the closest anything. But if all of that doesn't bother you, it's a great place. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:32   #28

Boat: Catalina Capri 26'

Gee, doesn't sound so good now. Thanks for the heads up!
MrGrauadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:50   #29

i plan on sailing west fla with 6'6" draft-- did it with 4'6 in, and found there re many places appropriate for my yankee clipper. there are even other formosa and ct and hardin sea wolf boats out in the area-- so i dont see what the big deal is in avoiding the shallower locales-- yes we did find bottom in many places, but i dont think i would return to those places again anyway, as i btdt----the really pretty places have enough water for my boat.
Old 27-03-2012, 07:43   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Marinas in south Florida have a very specific time frame for the number of days you can stay on your boat in a given period of time when they consider you a liveaboard. Chuck
This is often true, but there is no uniform code and some marinas take little notice of your presence aboard your boat. At my present marina, where I stay for a few months each year, they ask me which months I choose to pay an added liveaboard fee or if I'll be out of town. It's sort of an "honor system" and slip holders make their choice. At other marinas that don't allow liveaboards, I have arrived as a full time cruiser an paid each month for whatever span of time I choose to remain. Others have a strict formula as Waterwayguy describes. Expect to find the terms affecting liveaboards at the marina. The information over the phone is usually the least flexible and often "liveaboards" are not accepted while full time cruisers are welcome.