Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 18:43   #1

Storage Aboard Liveaboard

I have previously posted that I am living aboard a 27' sailboat. I have been searching the web for tricks and ideas for storage and keeping my living space uncluttered. Do any of you have any custom build ideas or tricks for maximizing storage? Do you use storage hammocks or other ideas. I need ideas for inside hatches and for living space storage. I need to make sure that everything is stowed and secure as I do sail the boat as well as liveaboard. Stowage has to be functional. I am sure that I am not the only one who needs the advice and ideas. Living on a 27 footer, stowage is critical.

Thanks For Any Advice
Robert
Panama Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:13   #2

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Re: Storage aboard liveaboard

Suction bags for clothing, 12volt vac to compress them, Spare bedding, blankets etc go into Cushion covers or pillow slips when not in use and used as cushions.
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:24   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rob View Post
I have previously posted that I am living aboard a 27' sailboat. I have been searching the web for tricks and ideas for storage and keeping my living space uncluttered. Do any of you have any custom build ideas or tricks for maximizing storage? Do you use storage hammocks or other ideas. I need ideas for inside hatches and for living space storage. I need to make sure that everything is stowed and secure as I do sail the boat as well as liveaboard. Stowage has to be functional. I am sure that I am not the only one who needs the advice and ideas. Living on a 27 footer, stowage is critical.

Thanks For Any Advice
Robert

Do you have shelving above the settees? I use sort of "lee cloths" that snap on so that stuff doesn't go flying.

I keep clothes to a minimum and fold them to fit well in small spaces. I have a storage unit for less frequently used things.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:26   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Years ago, on our Colvin, we had 4 kids and Connie and I. Room was a problem, not for sleeping or eating, but just for personal storage! Everybody needs a little storage room just for themselves! What we ended up doing was we made everyone a 2X2 ft fiberglass deckboxs! with watertight lids that locked! I know it seems a little different, but there was just no more room below decks for anymore then we already had ! And we did have a little deck space! This worked for us, maybe a deck box or 2 might do ya for some more storage space?? I hope this helps!
Old 29-08-2013, 19:55   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Depends on the boat.. Some boats have great headroom and you can put "light stuff" up high against the cabin roof. Some boats have lots of "air" behind the motor which is not accessable all the time, but handy for spare sails.

One could even forgo the pleasure of one of the settees and raise the sides with netting like a lee cloth and put "stuff" there.

But as I said. It depends on the boats design.

One of Have seen is old peanut butter jar lids screwed to a length of timber. The timber is connected to the cabin roof with the lids pointing down.. Each jar is then screwed "up" into the lids for storage. Quite effective though a little aesthetically displeasing. But basically you have all your Jar type storage up high and out of lockers. Plastic jars of course. Broken glass is a real beearch to clean up.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:09   #6

Thanks for all the response....yes I have shelving above the settees....I have a big dock box....I also rent a small storage unit. I love to fish so I have a large cooler I keep in the cockpit for storage at the marina....it stays ashore when I am sailing but she becomes a must have when I do some serious fishing for fish storage and to secure a big floppy fish to keep it from hurting someone or breaking something. A big cobia comes to mind. I use my car for storage too so that is how I manage storage on a small boat.

I am learning and using extra blankets /clothes in pillow cases is a great idea that I have not implemented. I also plan on using vacuum bags for clothes too. Keep the tips and ideas rolling in.....I know I am not the only one who needs this knowledge.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 29-08-2013, 20:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Depends on the boat.. Some boats have great headroom and you can put "light stuff" up high against the cabin roof. Some boats have lots of "air" behind the motor which is not accessable all the time, but handy for spare sails.

One could even forgo the pleasure of one of the settees and raise the sides with netting like a lee cloth and put "stuff" there.

But as I said. It depends on the boats design.

One of Have seen is old peanut butter jar lids screwed to a length of timber. The timber is connected to the cabin roof with the lids pointing down.. Each jar is then screwed "up" into the lids for storage. Quite effective though a little aesthetically displeasing. But basically you have all your Jar type storage up high and out of lockers. Plastic jars of course. Broken glass is a real beearch to clean up.
I might not use that but I love the concept. :-)
Old 29-08-2013, 20:12   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sorry but I said DECK BOX not dock box. Big difference, one ya take with ya and one ya don't !! Just sayin
Old 29-08-2013, 20:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Sorry but I said DECK BOX not dock box. Big difference, one ya take with ya and one ya don't !! Just sayin
That is great...I use Eagle Creek cubes for packing my clothes and keep the clothes in a duffel....it is easy to move around....I might toss it on the settee when I am sleeping and then in the V Berth when I am using the living area. It is easy to stuff out of the way.
Old 29-08-2013, 21:46   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rob View Post
Thanks for all the response....yes I have shelving above the settees....I have a big dock box....I also rent a small storage unit. I love to fish so I have a large cooler I keep in the cockpit for storage at the marina....it stays ashore when I am sailing but she becomes a must have when I do some serious fishing for fish storage and to secure a big floppy fish to keep it from hurting someone or breaking something. A big cobia comes to mind. I use my car for storage too so that is how I manage storage on a small boat.

I am learning and using extra blankets /clothes in pillow cases is a great idea that I have not implemented. I also plan on using vacuum bags for clothes too. Keep the tips and ideas rolling in.....I know I am not the only one who needs this knowledge.

Thanks,
Robert

From my experience, don't expect the vacuum bags to be a viable solution over time. I haven't had one that lasted more than six months, and less if you actually wanted to use the contents.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 21:58   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...maybe it's time for a bigger boat... <don't shoot me...it is just a suggestion!>

Mauritz
Going to zip it!
Old 29-08-2013, 22:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
...maybe it's time for a bigger boat... <don't shoot me...it is just a suggestion!>

Mauritz
Going to zip it!
Lol. I am happy in my little space. I am trying to educate myself and I know that I am not the only one that could use the tips. I was searching the web and then thought I should just ask the question. I like to know what works...and what doesnt work for other people. There is an old adage, "experience is a good teacher but fools learn from no other". I am sure I will have questions to pose that go far beyond stowage as I move forward. :-)
Old 29-08-2013, 23:47   #13

Boat: Alberg 30
Lived aboard an alberg 30 for a year, much of it with a girlfriend, while refitting. The v berth was sealed off with plastic sheeting, the shelving had no doors or edges and under the settee was no good at the start. We had scrap memory foam to start with and a half a shelf above port side settee each.

I found a good hanging closet organizer from Ikea, even had little zip up drawers that folded flat for storage, with extras for sale. little side pockets and a series of Velcro loops on the side. Hung it from the hand rail over the foot of a settee. Added a small side strap to make it easier to open and close drawers and stop it from swinging. Company over, undo the Velcro over the rail, move to hanging locker or bed.
Held everything from clothes to spare toilet paper. Folds totally flat.

Girlfriend at the time laughed at how excited I was to find it, worth every penny.

Hanging cloth single shoe rack, cut the bottom short, hangs right near the hull in the hanging locker.

Never understood the vacuum bag thing, tried them. Many inexpensive and good dry bags have one way vents, squish to get air out, and they last for years.

Round dry bag same length as width of settee+ cloth cover = a bolster. Roll clothes to fill.

Reusable plastic/waterproof shopping bags+ 2 small hooks on one handle = hanging storage bins in the odd space behind the settee back.
Stick a closed cell foam pad behind each to keep them off the hull and mold free.

Found a dish drying pad, thin foam core, super absorbent microfiber cloth both sides. Takes no space, much better than a dish rack.

Dish cleaning brush with soap in the handle, dish soap refill stored under galley sink.

Msr aluminium anodized camping pot with strainer lid. Cooks anything that didn't go in the cast iron frying pan.

Victorinox 8" chefs knife. Good enough for commercial kitchens, does almost every job. Chuck the rest.

Same as above paring knife, x4. Works for paring, doubles as eating knives, and handy utility knife once ugly(4$)

10" scalloped serrated knife, good multipurpose blade, easy to sharpen.
Mag safe blade protectors, let you stow knives anywhere.
The above 3 knives do it all, I spent a year in a commercial kitchen with nothing else, saves so much space without the clutter.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 13:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Storage Aboard Liveaboard

I know a few tricks,- using those curved spaces next to the hull that are behind other cabinetry; constructing bins under each companionway step leaving just the foot room; creating shelves at the unused headroom where you sit and not stand; suspending net hammocks..... I say that I know these tricks, but I don't use them! I take a whole different route. I just don't have the stuff! There's a great freedom in non-ownership. I don't mean NO stuff, but just very little. Take fishing equipment as an example,- one rod tucked between the matress and the hull and the reel separate on the shelf. Sure, I have clothes and a couple pairs of shoes. The galley is stocked. My comments might seem silly to you when you look on my avatar and see that I have a beamy 41 foot boat, but I was aboard here with my wife and two teenagers before they left,- That's the teens that grew and left. Fortunately my wife continues to excel with life aboard. We have some empty lockers aboard and I see no reason to fill them. This might seem too simple for me to say and without merit because I have neverr downsized. We never disposed of anything in order to move aboard our first 30' boat with an 8' beam. Think back,- wasn't there some time, maybe in college, when everything you owned would fit in the back seat of your small car and wasn't it true then, that you had a great freedom in non-ownership!
Old 30-08-2013, 13:45   #15

Re: Storage Aboard Liveaboard

Rip out the head & use the freed space for storage.

Buy 5 gallon bucket & moulded seat that fits to bucket top. Stow bucket topsides.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, liveaboard