Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Storage Aboard Liveaboard

gear nets. aka food hammocks.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 14:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I also lived and sailed a lot on a 27-footer--and we had no car. The best thing is what CaptForce said: GET RID OF STUFF. When I feel the need to have more things (a tempting scenario, since one gets tired of doing without for so long), I'll have to move ashore.

Old 30-08-2013, 18:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Rip out the head & use the freed space for storage.

Buy 5 gallon bucket & moulded seat that fits to bucket top. Stow bucket topsides.
My guitar is stowed in the head....it is moved to accomidate.
Old 30-08-2013, 19:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I know a few tricks,- using those curved spaces next to the hull that are behind other cabinetry; constructing bins under each companionway step leaving just the foot room; creating shelves at the unused headroom where you sit and not stand; suspending net hammocks..... I say that I know these tricks, but I don't use them! I take a whole different route. I just don't have the stuff! There's a great freedom in non-ownership. I don't mean NO stuff, but just very little. Take fishing equipment as an example,- one rod tucked between the matress and the hull and the reel separate on the shelf. Sure, I have clothes and a couple pairs of shoes. The galley is stocked. My comments might seem silly to you when you look on my avatar and see that I have a beamy 41 foot boat, but I was aboard here with my wife and two teenagers before they left,- That's the teens that grew and left. Fortunately my wife continues to excel with life aboard. We have some empty lockers aboard and I see no reason to fill them. This might seem too simple for me to say and without merit because I have neverr downsized. We never disposed of anything in order to move aboard our first 30' boat with an 8' beam. Think back,- wasn't there some time, maybe in college, when everything you owned would fit in the back seat of your small car and wasn't it true then, that you had a great freedom in non-ownership!
I agree with living small and non-ownership. I do like to stow the items that I do have and keep aboard to where they are not in the way and to keep my living space uncluttered...and have things secured away to where all I have to do is untie the docklines and float away...and I want things to where they don't go bouncing out of their spaces in rough water.
Old 31-08-2013, 05:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rob View Post
...and I want things to where they don't go bouncing out of their spaces in rough water.
Velcro, bungee cords, nets, fids, battens and those rubber-like shelf matts.

We use many battens on shelves that can be lifted to add or remove an item. This glassware is firmly secured by this means. Each end of the batten sits in a U-shaped fitting.
Old 02-09-2013, 00:48   #21
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
OK I'm jumping in.

I actually don't have a storage problem.
OK at 15m she is a big girl.. But..

My problem was that I have too much storage. Little cubbies all over the place. And I would loose things.

So I did a little spreadsheet what is where . I found that adding a category helps.. Spares, food, tools, clothing.

When it was done we found we had 382 storage locations.
Some are quite big.. Like the standing lazarette that has a work bench in .. But some - the cubby to the left of the diesel tank ( which contains 3 deck filler keys on floats ) and is full are quite small.

I am not sure if it is the recording of it that helps .. But we have lost nothing since we started.

But we did find a wrapped birthday present while we were doing the inventory... And we think it was the pervious owners. So it is obviously not a unique problem to us.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 21:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mub View Post
OK I'm jumping in.

I actually don't have a storage problem.
OK at 15m she is a big girl.. But..

My problem was that I have too much storage. Little cubbies all over the place. And I would loose things.

So I did a little spreadsheet what is where . I found that adding a category helps.. Spares, food, tools, clothing.

When it was done we found we had 382 storage locations.
Some are quite big.. Like the standing lazarette that has a work bench in .. But some - the cubby to the left of the diesel tank ( which contains 3 deck filler keys on floats ) and is full are quite small.

I am not sure if it is the recording of it that helps .. But we have lost nothing since we started.

But we did find a wrapped birthday present while we were doing the inventory... And we think it was the pervious owners. So it is obviously not a unique problem to us.

Mub
I love this idea.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32   #23

what was the present? I think I'm going to have to do the same thing. I lose stuff constantly. I would probably lose the list!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:18   #24
mub

I have a couple of friends who do apps.

I am trying to get them to make an iphone/ipad and Android app.

Sounds like there may be a market.

And the present was a board game.

Mub
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27   #25
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we downsized 2 or 3 times to be able to live on a 33 footer but in the end it was too small. we still had a storage unit on shore. what he said: GET RID OF MORE STUFF.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:00   #26

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

We have a rule that works most of the time....don't bring anything aboard that does not have multile uses.
It has helped to consolidate things in the galley.
We also use those u shaped stainless steel thingies (can't think of the name of them now) and bungee cords to hold things underway. String a line from one to another in the head to hang wet towels, laundry, toiletry kit etc.
I like labeled bins behind the settee's to store tools, spare parts, flags, etc.
Store chips and light weight items in nets over sitting areas.
Store cleaning products in a bucket with rags and sponges.
Only store the clothes on board that you will use in the next two weeks...keep out of season stuff in your storage unit.
Keep a sharpie, zip lock bags, and insulated shopping bags in your car. Unpack all your groceries in the trunk and remove all excess packaging materials. Use the sharpie to mark contents on cans and bags, rebag whatever you need to (like cheese and cold-cuts) into zip-locks....then dump the excess packing in the dumpster before re-bagging and carrying your groceries on board. Much less garbage to deal with and store!
Old 11-09-2013, 13:40   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mub,

I bet that was a present for YOU! The previous owner hid it for you to find, and probably smiled a lot when imagining how the new owner would react! The idea does have a certain appeal... Like committing random acts of kindness.

Ann
Old 11-09-2013, 17:56   #28
mub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mub,

I bet that was a present for YOU! The previous owner hid it for you to find, and probably smiled a lot when imagining how the new owner would react! The idea does have a certain appeal... Like committing random acts of kindness.

Ann
Nice thought. But the PO was with me. I was helping them sort out their stuff. Leaving me with all the spares and they were quite confused about it.

Though they are really nice kind people. They left me with a full tank of diesel (105 gal) and a stocked pantry!

Mub
Old 11-11-2013, 15:42   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
I sleep on "sail" mattress's.
Old 11-11-2013, 17:58   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Best trick is to throw away as much as you can, as often as you can. Another great trick is not to collect.

Now the HUGE moment comes when you want to interrupt you happy state of living aboard with a short fit of sailing.

More seriously though:
- mp3s +player in place of CDs +player,
- pdfs in place of paper user manuals,
- matched / fitting pans over non-matched ones,
- storing the violin inside the drum,
-etc.

b.

Tags
storage, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: