Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 10:12   #1

Boat: Bristol Trawler 38
Stepping on the Path to Cruising

Hello,

Background:

I am 51 and own a small business in San Antonio, Texas. About 25 years ago, my brother and I bought a catalina 25 and sailed it around Canyon Lake for a couple of years. From that point on I was consumed with the prospect of cruising. Of course, work and life diverted those dreams, however, for the last year I have pondered my future and well I have committed myself to dare the dream of cruising.

I have trolled Cruiser Forums for many years, garnering as much information as possible about life on board sailboats. As I have talked to my friends about what I want to do, most think I am crazy and that what do I know about sailing. But, I started my business when I was 25, I had one year experience at the time, but I learned what I needed to learn and I was committed to making it work, so I say that if I can put that commitment to work on this, then I have no doubt that I can do this. That being said, I have a lot to learn and I have put a schedule of 18 months to completing this life change.

I have started looking for my new ocean home. There are so many good choices, however, I have set my sights on the Amel Maramu. I like many of the features of the Amel, particularly the storage capacity. I am talking with broker's now, some very helpful, some not so much. I have done a lot of research on Amel sailboats, but I was hoping maybe someone on this forum may have an Amel or have had one and can share their experience with it with me.

As this is the beginning of my adverture, there will be many more questions.

Thanks
GCOX2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:57   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Stepping on the Path to Cruising

Welcome to CF! As to the Amel question, you could do a search using Amel as the key word for which to search. Both in the title of a thread, or in it's body. And you could also start a thread wherein you ask folks questions for their feedback on the boats, as well as their specific features. Since most people here are more than happy to help.

Also, if you still have the 25'er, it can make a decent short term cruiser for a couple of folks. Depends on your plans, budget, & most importantly, attitude & talent. Fill us in on those, & it get's real easy to assist you.

PS: For the kind of $ needed for an Amel, have you considered a catamaran?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:37   #3

Once moored next to an Amel Super maramu in Corsica. The couple on board were both 84 and sailed a couple of thousand miles each year. The skip like the boat because most things on it were powered and so they could easily manage the sails. They liked the roominess too. These boats are getting long in the tooth and are still fairly pricey. They are also a very heavy boat and. I wouldn't want to buy one that needed big repairs. Most modern sailboats provide all of the creature comforts and sailability that you would need even crossing the ditch
If it's a big boat with plenty of room you want, you might also look at the Ocean Star. Cheaper and maybe not as prestigious. A little more recent build. Like the Amel, few and far between and maybe only available in the Med. Still, that's not too bad a place to sail.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:41   #4

You have probably seen it. Great YouTube channel svdelos. They have sailed one from Seattle to now South Africa. Great boat.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:03   #5

Boat: Bristol Trawler 38

Thanks you. My brother is keeping the 25. I have looked at cats, but it will be myself and my partner and cats I fear would be much more difficult for two. Also, I considered, what would happen if capsized. The Amel appeals to me because it could be sailed single handed if necessary, the layout suits my needs, it has watertight compartments, the engine compartment is isolated from the living quarters, and the storage. There are other reasons, but those are the main.

My budget is 200 to 250k. I am looking to purchase within the next 6 months.

My plan is to commit to 3-5yrs initially, but I am in the mindset of making this a permanent move.

Attitude: Simply, once committed to something, nothing will change my path. I crave
experience, I will try anything once, twice if I like it. I am very mechanically inclined, know electrical, can fix anything or build anything. In my opinion I have a great foundation, I just need to develop the skills of sailing.

Talent: I have owned and operated motor boats from 12ft to 35ft. So, I am familiar with general operations of a watercraft. And, of course, some experience with sailing, though some years ago.

Thanks
GCOX2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:32   #6

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

You'll do great, you are vastly more prepared than many who have done the same thing. If you want some entertainment, google bumfuzzle, a couple who knew literally nothing, and bought a boat and sailed off.

Don't be afraid of a cat, a lot more monos on the bottom of the ocean than overturned cats. Most are made to be handled by a couple as well.

But more importantly don't get fixed on one model of boat - as nice as the Amel is - with that budget, you can get something really nice. It's better that you pay a fair price for a boat that has been really well taken care of than a project boat that will see you spend the next 2 years fixing it, or worse getting stuck somewhere remote and trying to get it repaired.

Boat condition should be top of your shopping list, followed my make/model. Many boats have been neglected and the hidden costs will mount up and suck your soul and delay your adventure.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 22:26   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Gcox, and welcome to the CF.

Don't let the enthusiasm of some posters for their own particular prejudices bother you, for they mean well. You seem to have done some study and research, and if the Amel is what appeals to you, why the hell not get one? Every new sailor has to make the plunge and buy something, and each oneof us has ideas that sway the decision. If the Amel turns you on, buy one. They hold their value quite well if bought a few years old,and if it fails to meet your expectations you won't face ruin.

I'm not an Amel fan myself, but I can understand the appeal. If you have actually been aboard one, better have sailed one, and still like it then go on and negotiate the best deal you can... and enjoy her!

There is a wealth (nay, a surplus) of advice here on CF relating to a novice and his first boat. Some of it is worth remembering while on the search, much is not. My only contribution is to remain very aware that no matter how shiny and well kept a boat appears, you will find things that will require additional spending after t he initial purchase. Keep that in mind as you weigh price vs condition, and balance that against your budget.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Jim
Old 23-01-2017, 22:52   #8

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCOX2112 View Post
Hello,

Background:

I am 51 and own a small business in San Antonio, Texas. About 25 years ago, my brother and I bought a catalina 25 and sailed it around Canyon Lake for a couple of years. From that point on I was consumed with the prospect of cruising. Of course, work and life diverted those dreams, however, for the last year I have pondered my future and well I have committed myself to dare the dream of cruising.

I have trolled Cruiser Forums for many years, garnering as much information as possible about life on board sailboats. As I have talked to my friends about what I want to do, most think I am crazy and that what do I know about sailing. But, I started my business when I was 25, I had one year experience at the time, but I learned what I needed to learn and I was committed to making it work, so I say that if I can put that commitment to work on this, then I have no doubt that I can do this. That being said, I have a lot to learn and I have put a schedule of 18 months to completing this life change.

I have started looking for my new ocean home. There are so many good choices, however, I have set my sights on the Amel Maramu. I like many of the features of the Amel, particularly the storage capacity. I am talking with broker's now, some very helpful, some not so much. I have done a lot of research on Amel sailboats, but I was hoping maybe someone on this forum may have an Amel or have had one and can share their experience with it with me.

Thanks
I really miss Canyon Lake and San Antonio, when I lived there, I used to go to Canyon Lake and fish of off the rock patio at Overlook Park. The solitude did a lot for your soul. What a beautiful place! I was working as an EMS pilot for San Antonio Air Life back then.

Tootin' my own horn a bit much, I know...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 00:49   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Welcome aboard -- My brother live is SA -
a couple of things
1 you did not mention an admiral/mate/wife /ect
2 looks like you can sail a bit - but living aboard is a bit different - I can only tell you what worked for us -- we took asa 101-6 -- learned a lot but most importantly how to work as a team and what it took to do a bit of living aboard
3 if you can go to a couple of boat shows - not to buy but to look at boats and say hey I like that but I don't like that and make and keep a list of what you like and don't - take a look at how they are outfitted and wander the isles and see what the latest and greatest gadgets are and think what is needed and what is nice to have and make a list
4 buying a boat is like a business decision - try and keep emotion out of it -
5 find a good broker who will tell you the truth but will listen to you -- we had a great one who kept us from making a mistake but took his time to understand us and what our needs and wants were -- he absolutely put in the right boat and a boat that the admiral said absolutely no way will we get that boat and it was her decision in the end that made the difference in buying it as she wanted it
6 think about what you want to do with the boat - we simply wanted to go to the Bahamas and back and if we did not like it be able to get rid of the boat without a huge financial penalty - but we wanted a go anywhere boat and let's just say the Bahamas and back thing kinda got out of hand

let us kown if we can help - we have made more mistakes than most but are still at it
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:06   #10

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We just sold our Super Maramu after 3 years of cruising the Caribbean and South Pacific as a family of 4.

You'll get tons of opinions on Amel's from many who've never been on one, but apparently know everything about them. PM me and I'll share my thoughts with you. We loved ours for many of the same reasons you suggested, plus a number of others. I think they're currently priced as one of the best values in the bluewater cruiser market right now.

I'd certainly recommend a broker that knows them. I've got a few recommendations.

Regards,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
................... I have pondered my future and well I have committed myself to dare the dream of cruising. ........
It seems that you have the resources, the motivation and the dream. I look forward to reading of your adventures. There's a braided path to success and many good choices.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GCOX.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 12:19   #13

Boat: Nauticat 32

If you are looking for a safe boat capable of sailing round the world, and you like Amel's style, and you have the money, Amel could be a good choice for you.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:10   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Im a cat sailor but readily admit the Amel is brilliant boat. We nearly bought one many years ago - our extended testing proved to us that it would do everything we wanted and very safely and in comfort. Yup, go for it. Like any boat, if its been maintained and looked after you'll love it.

Quote:
Hello,

Background:

Thanks
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 19:27   #15

Boat: Currently in between

We've settled on a 45' Leopard, the Admiral loves it, but I am still in the Amel mindset. If this Leopard flubs the survey badly, which I fear it might, Amel might be back on the radar.

Tags
cruising