Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 19:34   #16

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Stepping on the Path to Cruising

Sail a few before you decide on "the one", you will almost certainly surprise yourself with a new revelation. What you imagine you'd want often is different from what you discover you really like.
Oh, and get time on a multihull too. They are a very different experience.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 19:43   #17

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCOX2112 View Post
Hello,

Background:

I am 51 and own a small business in San Antonio, Texas. About 25 years ago, my brother and I bought a catalina 25 and sailed it around Canyon Lake for a couple of years. From that point on I was consumed with the prospect of cruising. Of course, work and life diverted those dreams, however, for the last year I have pondered my future and well I have committed myself to dare the dream of cruising.

I have trolled Cruiser Forums for many years, garnering as much information as possible about life on board sailboats. As I have talked to my friends about what I want to do, most think I am crazy and that what do I know about sailing. But, I started my business when I was 25, I had one year experience at the time, but I learned what I needed to learn and I was committed to making it work, so I say that if I can put that commitment to work on this, then I have no doubt that I can do this. That being said, I have a lot to learn and I have put a schedule of 18 months to completing this life change.

I have started looking for my new ocean home. There are so many good choices, however, I have set my sights on the Amel Maramu. I like many of the features of the Amel, particularly the storage capacity. I am talking with broker's now, some very helpful, some not so much. I have done a lot of research on Amel sailboats, but I was hoping maybe someone on this forum may have an Amel or have had one and can share their experience with it with me.

As this is the beginning of my adverture, there will be many more questions.

Thanks
There is a totally rebuilt Amel on yacht world right now in New Jersey, right across from New York city that caught my eye. It's a Marami I believe and from the looks of it done right. Take a look at it. Probably won't be on the market for long. In your price range. Good luck.
Old 25-01-2017, 04:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

A really good, tough cat with many great features. A good choice if it passes muster - shall love to hear the survey outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
We've settled on a 45' Leopard, the Admiral loves it, but I am still in the Amel mindset. If this Leopard flubs the survey badly, which I fear it might, Amel might be back on the radar.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:14   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

great boats
there is one for sale here at Nanny Cay
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd. (Physical: Nanny Cay Marina, Nanny Cay, VG1110, British Virgin Islands)

take a look; no sales tax
Chris Simpson is a reputable honest guy.
Welcome to the group.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 06:00   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCOX2112 View Post
Hello,

Background:

I am 51 and own a small business in San Antonio, Texas. About 25 years ago, my brother and I bought a catalina 25 and sailed it around Canyon Lake for a couple of years. From that point on I was consumed with the prospect of cruising. Of course, work and life diverted those dreams, however, for the last year I have pondered my future and well I have committed myself to dare the dream of cruising.

I have trolled Cruiser Forums for many years, garnering as much information as possible about life on board sailboats. As I have talked to my friends about what I want to do, most think I am crazy and that what do I know about sailing. But, I started my business when I was 25, I had one year experience at the time, but I learned what I needed to learn and I was committed to making it work, so I say that if I can put that commitment to work on this, then I have no doubt that I can do this. That being said, I have a lot to learn and I have put a schedule of 18 months to completing this life change.

I have started looking for my new ocean home. There are so many good choices, however, I have set my sights on the Amel Maramu. I like many of the features of the Amel, particularly the storage capacity. I am talking with broker's now, some very helpful, some not so much. I have done a lot of research on Amel sailboats, but I was hoping maybe someone on this forum may have an Amel or have had one and can share their experience with it with me.

As this is the beginning of my adverture, there will be many more questions.

Thanks
I think an Amel would be a very good choice. In fact, on our circumnavigation we saw more Amels, as a percentage of how many were built, than any other brand. You haven't really talked about what you want to do with your boat and where you want to go so it is impossible to suggest if this the best choice - but it is a very good choice for most purposes.
Old 25-01-2017, 10:09   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

Welcome,

I think you will love an Amel. Very well built and very owner friendly boats. Designed around 1+1 crews, not for a charter work. This is a huge plus.

Our friend has an old small Amel and sailed well over 20 Atlantic crossings in her. And I know some Amel ketches close and intimate and would not hesitate to buy one for me and my mate. We visited the new 55 both on dry and in the water and this boat shines. Her older incarnations are on par with whatever there was best in this tier at their respective times.

I love Amel cockpits which are safe and protective. And I love the decks which are so easy to walk around the boat - so unlike some same age boats that are your oyster or your hasselblad. And no teak. Full glory.

There are also, fewer, Amel sloops around. If you prefer one stick rather than two.

So. Happy shopping. With my blessing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:13   #22

Boat: Bristol Trawler 38

My plan is to initially cruise the caribbean islands. I have always wanted to sail thru the Panama Canal, somewhat of a history buff, and then to Australia. But, I am on board with sailing anywhere and everywhere I have a itch to sail to.

Many thanks for any thoughts you have. I am gathering a wealth of information and many on CF members are familiar with some of the vessels I have found and I have got some valuable information on some I was considering.

As of now, there is a Amel 46 in San Amboy New Jersey and one in the BVI. Both are on my list and I am looking at making arrangements to visit my short list in February.
GCOX2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 23:30   #23

Boat: Currently in between

I guess you could say we are a house divided. Heeding the warnings from others on this site as well as my past experience; "If the Admiral ain't happy.."
Old 27-01-2017, 18:59   #24

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

It's not an Amel but I've always found many common links between Steve Dashew and Henri Amel's design philosophies. Comfortable, well equipped boats designed to be sailed easily by a couple with very well thought out, simple, easily maintained systems, dedicated engine room, watertight bulkheads, etc, etc. If this one's not a project boat (other than the high engine hours, on the surface it seems to be well maintained, but possibly a bit tired cosmetically), it could be a viable option and a smoking deal on a Sundeer.

1994 Sundeer cutter Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

Steve's additional (extreme?) focus on speed meant staying with slab reefing, longer water lines and some sail and deck work that's probably easier with two people however. I still think I'll primarily focus on Amel's for our next boat in 6-8 yrs, but having seen personally how well built and laid out the Sundeers, I'll seriously consider sacrificing my beloved in-mast furling, mizzen staysail and twin headsails for the extra 40-50+nm/day........ if the budget allows. I do realize it would be a bit steeper learning curve for someone just getting into cruising but, with the right attitude and instruction, doable for the right person.

This 60' pilothouse example looks stunning, but is listed at almost double.

1995 Sundeer 60 Pilothouse Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 22:13   #25

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
It's not an Amel but I've always found many common links between Steve Dashew and Henri Amel's design philosophies. Comfortable, well equipped boats designed to be sailed easily by a couple with very well thought out, simple, easily maintained systems, dedicated engine room, watertight bulkheads, etc, etc. If this one's not a project boat (other than the high engine hours, on the surface it seems to be well maintained, but possibly a bit tired cosmetically), it could be a viable option and a smoking deal on a Sundeer.

1994 Sundeer cutter Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

Steve's additional (extreme?) focus on speed meant staying with slab reefing, longer water lines and some sail and deck work that's probably easier with two people however. I still think I'll primarily focus on Amel's for our next boat in 6-8 yrs, but having seen personally how well built and laid out the Sundeers, I'll seriously consider sacrificing my beloved in-mast furling, mizzen staysail and twin headsails for the extra 40-50+nm/day........ if the budget allows. I do realize it would be a bit steeper learning curve for someone just getting into cruising but, with the right attitude and instruction, doable for the right person.

This 60' pilothouse example looks stunning, but is listed at almost double.

1995 Sundeer 60 Pilothouse Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
The Sundeer would be my number one choice if it was in my budget. can't go wrong with them i think.

Tags
cruising