Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2013, 19:08   #16

Re: St Brendan's Isle - FL requirements

Quote:
We don't recommend having your mail forwarded to relatives or friends... We have seen it numberous times when the friend or relative is sick or on vacation and the cruiser can't access important documents.
That's a good point. But, I have seen the other side of the coin where I have been in a place with no Internet and no phone and no banks and I needed to transfer a few thousand from one account to another to pay some things. With a satellite phone I could get the ball rolling with the relative in the states who could take care of it. And, as I mentioned, I have also had the problem of something happening at the bank that required a signature, and having that trusted person who could walk down and supply it made all the difference. On the other hand, if I didn't have very trusted relatives, I would probably go another way. I know of some people who hire a CPA or an attorney to act on their behalf when the occasional need arises.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11   #17

Boat: 1980 Bluewater 54'

A documented vessel is exempt per http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf
A documented vessel does not need to be registered.
Florida does not require bank accounts or such, once you get your address, go to DMV, but due to the Federal law called 'positive id act' your address is going to be the name of your vessel, or documentation number.... just an FYI

Old 08-03-2013, 13:57   #18

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwellington View Post
A documented vessel is exempt per http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf
A documented vessel does not need to be registered.
OK, now this is getting wacky. Fla requires documented vessels from other states to register as per Kettlewell earlier. But Fla does not require documented vessels from its own state to register?
Old 08-03-2013, 14:43   #19

Boat: 1980 Bluewater 54'

It is Florida, had a 46 footer for years and now a 54 bluewater documented only.
Old 08-03-2013, 14:58   #20

Where does it say in that document that federally documented vessels don't also have to be registered in Florida? As I have noted before, this is the law from the Florida Fish and Wildlife website. These are the folks that enforce the law. I wrote to them to confirm, and it was confirmed in writing.

Quote:
Vessel Registration
All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office .

Documented vessels without a state registration in full force and effect must also obtain a Florida registration and display the validation decal on the port side of the vessel when using Florida waters.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:00   #21

Upon a little more digging, it looks like the document at that link, despite being put out by the Florida Div of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, is wrong. It appears that there is an exception to the TITLING requirement for documented vessels but not to the REGISTRATION requirement.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:03   #22

According to several folks on here this law about requiring documented boats to be registered in Florida is only randomly and weakly enforced. I have no experience with that aspect.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Where does it say in that document that federally documented vessels don't also have to be registered in Florida? As I have noted before, this is the law from the Florida Fish and Wildlife website. These are the folks that enforce the law. I wrote to them to confirm, and it was confirmed in writing.

Seems like this same question comes up about once a month.

Been boating in FL for almost 40 years including several years as a yacht broker in Ft Lauderdale where dealing with boat documentation and registration was part of my job.

It is absolutely a FL requirement that any privately owned boat that is kept in this state more that 90 days is required to pay FL registration, whether it is Federally documented or registered in another state. The only exceptions I recall are government owned or foreign owned vessels.

A documented boat is not required to display the FL registration numbers but is supposed to display the FL sticker.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:48   #24

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'
+1 on the documentation & registration. I'm in Fl with a documented vessel, and I have a state registration as well. In fact, I have an antique registration on my 1969 Roamer Chris Craft I call home.

In 13 years, I have had FWC approach me only once at anchor to perform a safety check. I had to produce both my documentation and state registration.

Later,
NJ
Old 11-03-2013, 07:53   #25

Wow. This comes up over and over, and yet we STILL have people making patently false statements.

You are absolutely NOT exempt from the requirements to register your boat in Florida just because it is documented. You ARE exempt from the requirements for titling the boat in Florida if your boat is documented. You are also not required to display state registration numbers if your boat is documented, but you are required to display the small registration decal.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:19   #26

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Upon a little more digging, it looks like the document at that link, despite being put out by the Florida Div of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, is wrong. It appears that there is an exception to the TITLING requirement for documented vessels but not to the REGISTRATION requirement.

It is not wrong... I think you might have interchanged the words Registration and Title, which are two separate things in Florida.

The document is very clear that USCG Documented Vessels are required to Register in Florida, if the vessel remains in Florida for more than 90 days. USCG Documented Vessels are exempt from having to Title the vessel in Florida

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33   #27

I think that is what I wrote.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:01   #28

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I think that is what I wrote.
You wrote the Florida Document was wrong, which it isn't...

No biggie should have left it alone.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: