Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 22:54   #1

Spinnaker

This is probably not the right place....I'm new to this site. We are live aboards (4 yrs.), on Gabby Wray, 470 Catalina and getting ready to head south and through the Panama Canal. We are getting ready to purchase our first Spinnaker. Someone told us to NEVER buy one with more than one color, because they bleed. Anyone know about this? It's a big purchase and would like to do it right.......Thanks
Gabbywray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 22:56   #2

Re: Spinnaker

If it's different panels sewn together I don't see how it would bleed. My $0.02 is just buy a nice used asym or a reacher for (relatively) peanuts.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 23:16   #3

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have a multi-colored chute, and never had a bleeding problem. It is symmetrical, which I would not recommend for short-handed cruising. If you are after a chute, get an asymmetrical one.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 23:47   #4

Racers prefer solid colors because the stretch is more consistent between panels.

Used spinnakers are usually a waste of money. There is nothing like a new crispy spinnaker for stability, strength and long life. Of course you might find a used crispy new 'chute, but it's unlikely. (If it is not noisy in the bag it is trash)

The best reason to use a single color, or maybe two colors at most, is to avoid a multicolored eyesore. Just because they make 12 colors does not mean you need to use them all.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 23:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If spinnakers are put away wet when new, they can bleed a bit. Usually not much and not disfiguring. One way to cut down on its effect is not to use white panels especially next to darker colors. You can easily stop any problem by hoisting the sail and letting it dry once you get anchored or at the slip. Use the sail for awhile before you go cruising and you can probably even forget doing that.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:09   #6

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

With a symmetrical spinnaker it is useful to have the outer panels on the shoulders white or nearly so in order to see the set at night. I doubt that this is as important on an asymmetrical. And I rarely fly the chute at night. Oh well...

I wouldn't give up the pleasure of choosing a multicolored design. I had my sailmaker give me the number of panels and layout, and I drew the outline and made a pile of copies. Then I bought colored markers to match the sailcloth colors, and started coloring. I avoided being flashy. It worked for me - YMMV.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

Wet nylon bleeds. Don't bag it if it is wet and you will be fine. A white chute is boring!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If there are just two of you on a 47 ft boat, you are wasting your money on a spinnaker. If you need to get one, buy a 'used' one from a cruiser--you will probably find it has been out of the bag less than 6 times, but that was enough to convince them they couldn't handle it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12   #9
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
I agree. Handing a symetrical on a boat that size with two people is difficult enough that you will find the chute stays in the bag. An asym chute, especially one of the new furling types will get alot of use in a wider range of conditions.

Once the chute has a couple of days on it the dye should be set. Keep it dry for the first few hoists.

Of course on a boat that size and shorthanded if it is going anywhere near the water you are likely in trouble, unless its raining...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If there are just two of you on a 47 ft boat, you are wasting your money on a spinnaker. If you need to get one, buy a 'used' one from a cruiser--you will probably find it has been out of the bag less than 6 times, but that was enough to convince them they couldn't handle it.
I don't agree. I fly my spinnaker a lot, often single handed.

I do agree that most cruisers don't and are a great source of inexpensive nearly new chutes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

My only real bit of advice here.......dark colored nylon lasts longer in the sun. White dies quickly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I bought a used spinnaker not long ago. Multi colored. The sailmaker wrote the date it was made on the head. I forget the month but the year...1985. That makes it 27 years old and it looks like brand new. No color bleed or fade anywhere and not snags, tears or patches. I think it probably has lived it's entire life in the bag. The bag looks like hell.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03   #13
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956
I bought a used spinnaker not long ago. Multi colored. The sailmaker wrote the date it was made on the head. I forget the month but the year...1985. That makes it 27 years old and it looks like brand new. No color bleed or fade anywhere and not snags, tears or patches. I think it probably has lived it's entire life in the bag. The bag looks like hell.
+++1
Brilliant and honest

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:18   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Gabby Wray,
1) The colors will NOT bleed...my current spin is about 9 - 10 years old, and I do use it , and have put it away wet couple of times....and it still looks good!!!

And, Since I also sail Catalina C470, have a big asym spinnaker, and use it regularly (with 2 to 3 persons on board, and usually just 2), and have flown it at night, and on long passages, and across oceans, etc...
Perhaps you'll find my thoughts, opinions, experiences helpful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbywray View Post
We are live aboards (4 yrs.), on Gabby Wray, 470 Catalina and getting ready to head south and through the Panama Canal.
2) Please do head over to our C470 yahoo group and join....
C470 : Catalina 470 Sailboat

Be prepared for the good natured ribbing we give each other.....but, you'll
learn a lot!!!

Also, please be sure to check out our C470 Projects and Pictures page....
http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm

And, please don't forget to join our C470 Assoc...
http://www.catalina470.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbywray View Post
...getting ready to head south and through the Panama Canal.
We are getting ready to purchase our first Spinnaker.
3) Not sure where you are at, nor which direction you are heading after passing thru the canal, nor what your cruising plans are....but...

a) But, if heading downwind across the Pacific, I would make sure that you have an effective downwind pole system rigged so that you will actually be able to use it easily/regularly...
Poling-out your genoa (especially for wing-on-wing, and dead downwind sailing) is going to be more useful than a spinnaker...
So, get a dcent pole rigged now, that you can use effectively and get some experience with it, before you buy a spin...

b) Buying a asym spinnaker is a GREAT idea, and if you use an ATN sock and/or get used to using/deploying it short-handed, you WILL use it...more than some think!!!
(I find that I use mine about 12% - 16% of the time on long passages / offshore / across oceans....and I'm NOT sailing downwind in the Pacific, but rather across the Atlantic, and to/from Carib, and Bahamas...)
Here are links to some videos showing my asym in action across the Atlantic....

c) Buying a slightly used spin is fine, and much cheaper than new!!! Just have it looked at my a sailmaker first!!!

If you give some more details, we can be even more specific in our answers....
But, until then, I hope this helps...

Fair winds,

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker