Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 22:52   #31

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Despite the fact that drinking a beer is probably worse for your brain, spraying neurotoxins is still something I vehemently oppose. You can't control where they end up. How persistent are they? Do they cross the blood brain barrier? Is it worth your time to research this well enough to know that it is safe?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 06:16   #32

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Despite the fact that drinking a beer is probably worse for your brain, spraying neurotoxins is still something I vehemently oppose. You can't control where they end up. How persistent are they? Do they cross the blood brain barrier? Is it worth your time to research this well enough to know that it is safe?
In spirit, I do not disagree with you, please read my prior posts. At the time, it was the safest product available for the job at hand. How safe that actually is depends on the common sense of the end user as well as how accurate the effects are reported and documented, which I have no control over. Should I find myself in the same situation again, I would follow the same steps as outlined, but would use a different product that I found while searching for the exact name of the product mentioned earlier; Star brite - Catalog - Product Detail which appears to be a non-toxic repellent instead of a poison. Maybe the OP can give it a try and let us know how well it works?
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 06:48   #33

Boat: Clark, San Juan, 26
Starbrite looks like a good option to try. I'll get some and let you know how it works.

Thanks.
Old 25-05-2010, 06:53   #34

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
I can feel the tension on this one building, so up front this is my option you are welcome to your own. I grew up in a farming community, actually the nursery capital of the world. Critter control was and is a way of life there. Chemical, natural, and technological means are employed to protect crops. I know 90 year old men that can run circles around me that have been spraying toxins since they were 5. Bottom line, anything in excess will kill you (even exercise). When used correctly pesticides are both safe and affective. However there are other options available and mileage will vary per you specific situation. That being said, where can I pickup that battery powered bug zapper? I just have to get me one of them!!
Vartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 10:55   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Don't waste your time treating your dock lines to block the access of spiders. Most of the spiders invading boats arrive on wind blown webbing. We've found that the spray cleaners "greased lightning" & "simple green" are very effective with cleaning the remnants of spider products. I think the spider population finds your deck as a random opportunity in their enviroment to set up their attempts to catch their prey. Very rarely, will these spiders respond to your presence by "biting". Clean and rinse and no worries, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 21:31   #36

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Monoculture crops are a mixed blessing. While allowing farmers to feed thousands, they bring along problems like using pesticides, fertilizers and herbicides.

Frankly I would prefer if the world population were to decrease to about half of its current amount so that more sustainable farming could feed us!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 22:55   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post

Frankly I would prefer if the world population were to decrease to about half of its current amount so that more sustainable farming could feed us!
Thats basically what Hitler wanted.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 00:13   #38

Has anyone tried using fly paper (or some adhesive barrier) on the dock lines? Sort of poetic justice to catch a spider that way me thinks.

You could also just become part of the food chain...and eat them.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 05:17   #39

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The main problem with any dock lines, power cables, water hoses is that the ant and spider killer sprays degrade (as they are designed to do) in the sun and any rain washes it off. So you have to re-apply it every few days.
- - As to world population reduction, Mother Nature has been in that business for millions of years however us humans have been actively contravening her traditional techniques. The only human condition that tends to significantly reduce population growth is economic prosperity and education. In countries with significantly educated citizens and also high standards of living/income the birth rate plummets. It appears the citizens are too busy discussing philosophy and attending concerts and the ballet to have much time left over for baby-making. Rampant feminism is also a great population reducer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 16:41   #40

Re: Spiders

You guys using pesticides are the reason the EPA is changing all the laws, read the label it is the law. Pesticides are not labeled for boat docks organics are, web out, eco exempt etc. Not only are you harming yourself but also the water, drinking water and fish. You have to know the biology of a spider to understand what kills them. They walk on the tips of there feet that's why they are so difficult to control as they do not absorb product like other insects do. Of course you guys are just boat owners so you probably wont get a fine or a lawsuit thrown at you but some of us own pest businesses we get caught spraying a pyrethen on a dock we lose our business get a 2 million dollar fine etc.... All I am saying is use safer products read the label, do you want your kids handling the ropes after you sprayed them with some toxic stuff????
TERMITEKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:23   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

toxic stuff or fleas, cockroaches and other nasty critters in foreign ports. i would rather handle toxic lines.

the uninvited guests multiply and eat the food stores as well as the insulation of wiring.

i vote hands down for toxins.

btw--termiteking--come here to mexico and pick up your escapee termites. we dont want em.

the spideys fly, guys--i find em in my rigging ..... complete with sticky webs...

btw--here in barra de navidad there is a poison locally made and distributed--kills everything--scorpions, spidey, cucaroches, fleas....ants...many bothersome critters we dont like invading our stuff.....will try it and see h0w well it works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:42   #42

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I have read good reviews on a spider spray from Starbrite. Will let you know if it works. I'm in the non toxic camp myself too.

I tried a natural product from Terminex that didn't help so I'm crossing fingers.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:50   #43

I assume you are talking about invasion while the SJ sits between uses. That seems to be a big problem at times. There is a rubbery strip sold called "No Pest" that emits poisons, I suppose you could leave one in the boat then air it out real good before sailing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:50   #44
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

nothing is safe anymore google gmo foods.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:00   #45

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

I use a product called Spiderban. I don't use it frequently, & I'm confidant that as long as I don't inhale it or pour it directly in the water it's safe.

If transported far enough, it's possible some of these spiders could be an invasive species, & I think that's more serious than toxicity of pesticides. For example, many animals have recovered from the use of DDT... but I don't think there's been a truly successful campaign to eradicate an invasive species, such as Asian Carp.