Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-10-2016, 04:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sous Vide anyone

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tavison.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:57   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Sea water should be fine as long as you sous vide gear is all corroaion resistant materials.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:01   #18

Boat: 38' Bruce Roberts Gaff Rigged Schooner, Tayana 37

It's the sous vide professional from polyscience. I don't know what the heating coils are made of, but if Thomas Keller can use it to make a butter bath it's probably OK.
Old 05-10-2016, 13:48   #19

Boat: shopping

I would not use sea water I sous vide at home and you will get tons of mineral deposits on the heating element and I'm not sure the circulator pump would hold up well in sea water. Your electric draw after the unit hits final temp should be minimal especially if your using a insulated cooler. What attracted me to this unit is it is specific for the boating application draws heat from the motor and is sealed, so underway should not be an issue. The top is well sealed so no gimbals are needed. To me the lower power draw after temp is reached and the low need for high heat other than searing seems ideal. Please note I'm not a seasoned sailor but a seasoned cook. I have noticed as I shop for a boat many of the European model boats come with induction cook tops not gas. Another low draw electric type of cooking.
Old 05-10-2016, 13:56   #20

all sous vide units are very precise medical grade temperature controlled pieces of equipment. To immerse it in mineral rich sea water would likely damage the precision of the unit. mine can be set in .2 degree increments.
Old 05-10-2016, 17:20   #21

Boat: 38' Bruce Roberts Gaff Rigged Schooner, Tayana 37

I built one using an Arduino and some heating elements. The kind you put in a teapot or coffee mug. All the precision parts are up top and not in the water. The temperature probe is thermoelectric and has no moving parts. The pump is the part I'm worried about, but as I said Thomas Keller puts his directly into butter.

I would think vinegar washes would clean deposits just like in a head. I live on a lake right now so I can't try it to see. I'm getting another one that is smaller and uses even less electricity from a kick starter. It's about the size of an immersion blender and it was pretty cheap too.

I like the one you posted, but I didn't see a clear picture of it. It looks big and if it's connected to the engine it sounds like it's built in.

I did get an induction cooking plate, but my Cuisinart nesting pots don't work with it so I had to get an interface disk which lowers the efficiency.

With LiFePO batteries getting cheaper and charging getting better it would be nice to ditch propane completely. Just some bottles for the grill maybe. It's the one system I hate dealing with. Baking would remain the biggest loss though. I highly doubt I could bake bread sous vide, but I learned you can bake a cake in a slow cooker, so who knows what else can be done..
Old 05-10-2016, 18:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

As I noted, we use waterbath techniques all the time here; some proteins are vacuum packed (sous vide) but many are just bagged and cooked. I'm thinking of teaching a class on this (SSU for example). Restaurant comments are right on; we used to sous vide all our steaks to 126F and hold them; made it easy to dry, rub, sear, and serve anything from rare to medium in minutes; fish is even better and faster. Try sea scallops for example, amazing. One trick: granulated garlic as it seems to hold the flavor better than fresh!
Scott Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 19:03   #23

Boat: Looking for a catamaran

You might not be the first, but you could still be the best.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36   #24

Scott care to share your scallop recipe? This morning I started a brisket with a chili based Texas style rub. Will sous vide for about 24 hours chill over night and finish on a grill for 4 hours at 200 - 250 to develop a nice bark. I remember you posting earlier curious do you have gas or induction cook tops on board.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: