Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2013, 16:34   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: sos wife takes new baby off boat

We raised our two children from infancy until they were seven and nine on a Morgan OI 33, but we had already been cruising together for six years before the first child. Even with the thought that children can be raised safe and well on a boat, there's a greater need for you in terms of support, acceptance and communication as others have said above. I agree with the others who say taht your best hopes are goning to come with offering what you can in support.

Old 12-10-2013, 16:52   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

MY WIFE HAS JUST LEFT AFTER BRINGING UP 2 KIDS ON A BOAT FOR 18 YEARS......AND GONE TO LIVE WITH HER MOTHER..............SOS.... DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO DISHES!

NIETHER DO CHILDREN!!!!!!!!..................(luckily she is coming back next week) and we have paper plates.................

Old 13-10-2013, 04:02   #33

Boat: Farr 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
MY WIFE HAS JUST LEFT AFTER BRINGING UP 2 KIDS ON A BOAT FOR 18 YEARS......AND GONE TO LIVE WITH HER MOTHER..............SOS.... DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO DISHES! NIETHER DO CHILDREN!!!!!!!!..................(luckily she is coming back next week) and we have paper plates.................
18 years? Cast off and get out of there or else they'll find you again! You'll be able to learn to do the dishes by watching YouTube videos.

Neil
http://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 04:19   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post
18 years? Cast off and get out of there or else they'll find you again! You'll be able to learn to do the dishes by watching YouTube videos.
i'm worried that wife may never come back.......when she finds out how relaxing and low stress living with ageing mother is
Old 13-10-2013, 05:45   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan331970 View Post
I AM LOOKING FOR HELP,MY NEW BABY GIRL IS GOING TO LAND.GIRLFRIEND & I HAVE A NEW 1 MONTH OLD NOW SHE DOES NOT LIKE THE 33 MORGAN OUT ISLAND WE HAVE LIVED ON FOR TWO YEARS.SHE SAID (HATES) BEING ON BOAT AND WANTS TO RUN BACK TO TENNESSEE.I GO TO WORK COME HOME DONT DRINK NO DRUGS NO OTHER GIRLS.I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO SAVE A OVERBOARD CHILD FROM BEING TAKEN OFF A LOVE OF THE SEA.

Honestly.

Get her a ring and put the boat on a mooring and rent a cheap apartment. You can sail in a few years once the crumb cruncher becomes crew.

I your not married can't really blame her for taking the child back to Tennessee if she thinks it is better for the child. She is either your wife or she is not. She is no longer a "girl friend" she is the mother of your child, high school is over, you commit or you don't.
Old 13-10-2013, 06:41   #36

Boat: Gulf Star 36'

I raised two kids and am now in my later years enjoying living aboard in the winter months and on the farm the summer months. My husband and I have had many adventures together in the 37 years we have been together. We are always willing to compromise to make things work for each other. Neither of us is shelfish.
He was always supportive of me...the mother of his children and we were always his top priority. He has been a wonderful father and husband.
My advise to you is to step up, be a man not a boy who needs to have his own way. You are a father now. Your family should come first, not you. That is a hard lesson to learn I know but it is true and you will realize it if you do the right thing. There is nothing in this world more special than raising your children. There are lots of adventures out there and lots of time to do them. Best of luck to you.
Old 19-10-2013, 01:45   #37

I am the mother of this young child. I have been having a hard time for a while living aboard and it got worse once our daughter was born. I moved to be with my mate from a home and had never had any boating life other than on the weekend with friends every once in a while. I have expressed repeatedly how I feel, maybe not as direct as I have been since our daughter was born. I have been seen by a Dr. And it is not PPD. It is a true desire to move back on land. I do not know how to change the way I feel. I do love this man with all of my heart. He says if he moves on land he will be as miserable as I am on the boat. We are in a pickle here and could use more insight. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.
Old 19-10-2013, 02:19   #38

Boat: P30

1st i wish you both congratulations on your child.
in my mind this child and her well being takes precedence on everything else.
Sailing can wait.
Taking care of a family shouldn't have to wait.

In this context: Sailing isn't so much a "lifestyle" it's a luxury.
A family is a gift.
Resolve what you need
and Take care of this gift.
Old 19-10-2013, 03:14   #39

Boat: Oyster 66

If I were in your position and faced with a choice of boat or kid I would take the kid. Kids are better than boats by a big margin. Keep the boat if you can for an occasional weekend maybe.
Old 19-10-2013, 05:32   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, morgan & Pookie.

Glad to see you are both trying to resolve your dillema. Good luck!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 06:05   #41

I'm completely serious when I say, read the book "Love With A Chance of Drowning." It covers your situation (sans rug-rat)
Old 19-10-2013, 06:31   #42

Kids coming along and having to make life changes. Yeah, that's never happened to anyone before.

Take care of you kid, take care of you boat, and consider it just another life adventure until you get back cruising.

Some of my fondest memories of my life are when my son and daughter were very young. Even fonder than my cruising times.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:09   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

I do not know how to change the way I feel.
Do not. You can not make sound decisions if you start with changing the way you feel. The way you feel is guiding you. It is.

A good start is to sit down and talk. Off course, I assume both of you want to talk BUT when I say talk I also mean listening to each other. Talking is the easier part.

Do not get won by arguments. Have yours, and stick to them. Find a balance that serves both. Then move on from this new balance. There is what he wants and there is what you prefer, and then is a myriad of alternatives. Search the alternatives.

Too bad this land vs. water thing came up only after you guys decided to have a baby. But as you can see in the above posts, many of us have kids too. So to say, there is a proof that whether on the water or on dry land, people can live happily and find good answers to difficult questions.

All the best!

b.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:10   #44

Glad everyone puts the baby first...you need to commit, show up with a ring and pledge to work it out.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:25   #45

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Seems like there might be a middle way . . . keep the boat but live on land, for a while at least. Sail when you can. Mother and child can join the sailing when it feels right. You have many years ahead of you. Things will evolve.

My wife was initially terrified of crossing the Gulf Stream with our kids. It was so deep, and so far from land! We worked up to it slowly, together, within her comfort range -- and have now had countless family sailing adventures.

Good luck to you guys. In all this, don't lose sight of your love for each other and the miracle of having a child together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: