Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 15:43   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Sometimes you Win, Sometimes you Lose

We moved aboard about a month ago and there have been ups and downs (and more downs). Yesterday, we got the freezer working after insulating it from the inside (yeah, that's one of those things you do when you buy an old boat and you want the freezer to stay cold without ripping the kitchen apart). We were all happy and on top of the world and thinking we really CAN do this. Yay--ice! Ice cream!

Then today, we unscrewed the wrong screws on the compass and drained all the compass-fluid-stuff out. So that will be $250 and another week to fix that we weren't expecting. And we found yet another plumbing line that was leaking because they used the wrong sized tubes and got them to fit together by wrapping tons of electrical tape around the smaller tube. And this is the BEST boat we coud get.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Jen (Mrs. teneicm)

Shameless self-promotion (fire away):
s/v Perry: And...we have ice
s/v Perry: That sinking feeling you get when liquid pours out of equipment on your boat...
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:47   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

COMPASS FLUID
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:48   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It isn't the recommended way to do things, but I have occasionally made a too-large hose fit on a too-small fitting by wrapping the fitting with silicone tape--one brand is called Atomic Tape. That stuff makes a perfect seal--better than the proper sized hose on the barbed fitting.
Old 30-01-2013, 15:55   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

Try to look on these things positively, as challenges and opportunities to learn...otherwise it will simply be a prolonged self-inflicted torture session.

I believe the compass fluid is merely denatured alcohol with some dye in it....shouldn't cost a quarter of a boat buck to fix.

The plumbing....some scrounging and tinkering should see you through that all right as well without resorting to yet another expert craftsman. Find a salty scroogish boatie nearby and dangle some non-denatured compass fluid under his proboscis, amazing what you might get accomplished....
Old 30-01-2013, 15:59   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Great way to learn about your boat.

Hang in there. It gets better. You'll always have something to fix or upgrade, but you have chosen a fun and rewarding lifestyle. Remember to take breaks and have fun.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:59   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

$250 to replace the fluid in a compass? Use compass fluid, not single malt scotch.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:03   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
I believe the compass fluid is merely denatured alcohol with some dye in it....shouldn't cost a quarter of a boat buck to fix.
nope. it's a purified kerosene. denatured alcohol is pretty volatile, and hasn't been recommended for compasses since the days of tall ships. You never know when someone's going to spill in on the teak.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:04   #8

I bet you could scrounge up an old compass around the boatyard or in the cruising fleet and use the compass fluid to refill yours.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:27   #9

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
nope. it's a purified kerosene. denatured alcohol is pretty volatile, and hasn't been recommended for compasses since the days of tall ships. You never know when someone's going to spill in on the teak.
Blast, I wondered why my compass cocktail tasted so funny. Ok, I guess it's asking the chemist (drugstore in certain "English" speaking places) for pure kero (paraffin) instead of metho. Nor sure about you, but I'd rather spill metho than kero on the deck, teak or not. Metho will evaporate, kero is slippery.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:42   #10

I think it's a type of mineral oil- at least that what it felt/smelt like as I mopped up the pint or so of it. At least it made the teak nice and shiny....

And on this type of compass, it needs to be filled in a vacuum or something.... so you can't just fill it up yourself. Tellie- good call... that's where we sent it earlier today!
Old 30-01-2013, 17:56   #11

Re: Sometimes you Win, Sometimes you Lose

Speaking of random boating fluids, the epoxy/fiberglass guy that helped with the freezer said that they all get addicted to Acetone. Whenever they get around it, they have to rub it on their hands. It's the feel of it or something. And of course the pleasant brain numbing sensation.

The plumbing is strictly self-service. Just death by a thousand cuts through trips to the hardware store.

I know, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. But ouch, it can hurt.

Jen
Old 30-01-2013, 18:04   #12

This thread is the perfect illustration of why you should consider very carefully the location of any boat you purchase. Think how much fun you'd be having trying to locate parts in some third-world harbor.
Old 30-01-2013, 18:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
This thread is the perfect illustration of why you should consider very carefully the location of any boat you purchase. Think how much fun you'd be having trying to locate parts in some third-world harbor.
True dat! We actually factored in the cost of getting the boat somewhere where we would be able to work on it. But Ft. Lauderdale is way easier than Hong Kong or Turkey (neither of which is third world of course).
Old 30-01-2013, 18:15   #14

If you can't find it in Ft. Lauderdale you probably can't get it.
Old 31-01-2013, 23:49   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee
I just replaced my Danforth compass globe. I have plenty of fluid left in the gallon I ordered! loI

I'm right down here in Miami.
sailmed is offline   Reply With Quote