Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 00:31   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sometimes you Win, Sometimes you Lose

Yep, you can genuine compass fluid just like the link in Tellie's post (No.2) or you use Jet A fuel which almost exactly the same stuff or you can use clear kerosine which is almost exactly the same stuff or you can use any old kerosine or turps which isn't quite the same stuff but will do in a pinch.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:43   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee
I had used Kerosene for lanterns - worked great for years! And when the globe finally cracked and spilled all over my teak pedestal I remembered why I shouldn't procrastinate about changing it out! LOL
Unfortunately the compass holds a couple ounces over the small bottle and the next size is a gallon - sounds like great marketing to me! I don't intend on hanging on to the fluid until the globe cracks again so the offer stands... come get it! I would think I used my lifetime supply... LMAO
sailmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14   #18

Boat: Privilege 482
Re: Sometimes you Win, Sometimes you Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmed View Post
I just replaced my Danforth compass globe. I have plenty of fluid left in the gallon I ordered! loI

I'm right down here in Miami.

Thanks sailmed. It's currently on route to Viking to be fixed up. Are you going to the boat show? We hoped to be in the Bahamas by then, but now that we have to wait for the compass to come back (and just a few other things).

Jen
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote