Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 15:54   #166

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Now that is a very sexist statement. Perhaps a "boogey person" is more appropriate?
I considered that but SS has already somehow determined that the person allegedly loosening the docklines is a male. Even without seeing this person.
Old 10-02-2015, 16:37   #167

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
....... I recommend you educate yourself with more information about human biology, specifically the differences between the sexes. While my post may have partially been tongue in cheek, the factual foundation for the post is firmly grounded in history. Yes, there are some women who think logically, and there are some men who are emotional, but they are in the minority................
Well then, an employer looking for employees should be able to specify "Females need not apply." or "Males need not apply."

At least in the USA, this is not allowed and hasn't been for many years. The law looks at them equally. Are you saying that equal rights laws are wrong? Are you saying a female couldn't troubleshoot an electrical problem because females can't think logically? A male couldn't be a school teacher because he cannot be emotional?

What year were you born?
Old 10-02-2015, 16:55   #168

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well then, an employer looking for employees should be able to specify "Females need not apply." or "Males need not apply."

At least in the USA, this is not allowed and hasn't been for many years. The law looks at them equally. Are you saying that equal rights laws are wrong? Are you saying a female couldn't troubleshoot an electrical problem because females can't think logically? A male couldn't be a school teacher because he cannot be emotional?

What year were you born?
If you have to attempt to put words in someones mouth that they didn't say so you can then point out how stupid those words (and that person by association) are, then maybe you need to think a bit more before engaging keyboard.

I think he raises a good point and that is most men would simply ask the guy why he's messing with his docklines and ask him to stop, whereas this woman is making a big project out of it and talking to all sorts of strangers rather than the one person who could give her the answer she seeks. Maybe some men would also handle it that way but I don't know too many. Also, I realize that many women wouldn't handle it that way either, they'd be more direct. But there is a difference between the way men and women perceive and react to and think about many things (thank God!), and it's not sexist to acknowledge that.
Old 10-02-2015, 17:02   #169

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
That wasn't an emotional response, that was a simplistic reply aimed at the less educated, based on a reply that used knee-jerk labeling instead of an actual understanding of the differences between the sexes. We are controlled to a large extent by our biology, despite our efforts to control it or deny it.

I know this is an enlightened age, but watch this neuroscientist with a PhD explain to Leslie Stahl of 60 Minutes that pharmaceutical companies only used men or male animals in their research studies because females are controlled by their hormones. They wanted to study the effects of the drug, not clouded by hormonal changes. This led to all drugs being prescribed in the same dosage to men and women up until just recently. Ambien is now being prescribed in 1/2 the dose for women as men. They would have discovered this years ago if women had been used in drug testing. There is a fundamental difference in max. drug levels, how the drug is processed and how quickly it is metabolized in women vs men.

Watch this video for more info on it. For the part where the neuroscientist tells Leslie Stahl that only men were used in drug testing because they did not suffer from "pesky hormones" start at about 4:45. There are many more documentaries, especially from Discovery Channel, explaining how women are attracted vs how men are attracted, how our biological urges work, etc.

I hope this helps you understand that it isn't sexist to recognize the truth: men and women are fundamentally different in how they perceive, how they react, how they think. It explains why the OP did what she did: came on here to talk about it instead of talk directly to the person she suspects, a course of action suggested by the men on this board.
Thanks for the video.
Having been a "Sexist" and vilified for most of my life because I tried to explain the simple true facts, I enjoyed seeing the 60 Minutes article. It is getting harder and harder to tolerate these days though, what with all the PC and misinformed and misinforming media that abound.
Old 10-02-2015, 17:38   #170

Well, either the OP was for real, in which case she got some decent advice somewhere along the way, or...

it was a troll, in which case someone somewhere is ROFLing as very few have ever ROFLed before.

You guys are sooooooo easy.
Old 10-02-2015, 19:31   #171

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Give it a break on a typo. Your as much at fault as anyone calling a typo ignorance.
Ok, I'll bite.

You're...

Sassy, please check in to the thread.

Ayn Rand
Old 10-02-2015, 19:35   #172

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Talk about "Thread Drift"....this way beyond Thread Drift....no longer serves a purpose. I'm outta here...Shift Colors, underway.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
Old 10-02-2015, 19:56   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Well, either the OP was for real, in which case she got some decent advice somewhere along the way, or...

it was a troll, ...............
IIRC, she's a moderator or an Advisor on this forum.

Aren't we here to help?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-02-2015, 20:02   #174

Boat: Skookum 53'

I would like to see an update from the OP, just to see how she is making out. I hope she was able to resolve the issue.
Old 10-02-2015, 20:17   #175

Quote:

What year were you born?
The year I was born has no bearing on it. You cannot, and I would never - discriminate based on sex, but if one cannot find any qualified members of that sex, that's not discrimination. Since you went there...

In the 30 yrs I've been an ET and the 2 defense contractors I've worked at, all of the EEs or ex-Navy ETs were male. All of the support staff were female. We would have LOVED to have hired female EEs or ETs working with us, but we never had any qualified applicants. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're about as common as men who have given birth.

Sorry for the drift, that's as far as I'm going to take it. The facts are the facts, I'm merely cognizant of them. Why did this come up? Because several male members asked/suggested why the OP didn't talk to the suspect who was adjusting her dock line. The answer is because that's a male way of looking at the problem, her initial thought was to go on the internet and ask all of us. I'm just acknowledging the difference in thought process.
Old 10-02-2015, 21:17   #176

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
It's not simple at all and yes, your post is sexist and presents men and women as stereotypes. Not all men think a certain way and neither do all women.

That out of the way, a female who seems to be afraid that men are creeps and out to do her bodily harm would do far better that to assume a screen name of "SassySailor". A female who wants to be treated with equality might use a non-gender specific name. "SSailor" would do the trick.

She (if this is actually a she) has presented a bizarre and unlikely situation where a mystery person adjusts the boat's docklines every few days for no reason. "She" assumes it's a male intent on stalking her. Several remedies have been suggested, a few realistic and practical, and several dangerous or illegal. "She" has brushed off the realistic and practical suggestions and has now disappeared from the thread and the forum.

Perhaps the boogey man got her.
I've read some of your posts here and I am beginning to agree with you more each time. When you mentioned her Avatar handle, it made sense. But I will take it one step further. It's the men in these threads who pigeon-hole women into one category or another. Usually we paint them as damsels in distress and men are the white knights. Like it takes a man to save a woman. I once lived with a gorgeous German Redhead that had a fairly good male side to her. She grew up in a home with all brothers. She was excellent on the boat and did not believe in pink jobs or blue jobs. Then there are women who are use to being dependent in a so called mans world.
You're right...there have been many, many good suggestions as what to do in regards to changing the way the boat is tied. Yet she did not respond to many or disregarded them as not wanting to do it but yet express fear instead. That expressed fear is what gets men to pay attention. I think through social conditioning, we have hard wired ourselves into believing this B.S.
Personally, if a person is afraid on a boat on a dock, move to a house were fences can be erected. Boating is about self-reliance. Figuring out solutions. Being independent, not co-dependent.

Quote:
Now that you have outlined her behavior, show me the logical parts of it.

I rest my case.
I doubt you have rest your case. You tend to be relentless when it comes to making a point. At least on other threads like this and Flyin Hawaiian.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-02-2015, 21:42   #177

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

This thread has become "everyone adjusting everyone else's dock line."

Old 10-02-2015, 21:59   #178
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Did I really just read through 12 pages to find out someone ripped out the last page of the comic book and no I'll never know the ending?
Old 10-02-2015, 22:13   #179

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Did I really just read through 12 pages to find out someone ripped out the last page of the comic book and no I'll never know the ending?

I adjusted her lines. Case closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 00:00   #180
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Island Time-
We're not all in Cali. Back in the east, trespass would include fourth degree trespass and trespass "on the case", and actual harm is not required. Remember that Cali, like Florida and Louisiana, is one the odd [sic] states that does not share the English common law heritage that most of America has.
You walk onto my unfenced, unmarked, unposted front lawn? You tread very lightly and there's no harm? Nice, but IIRC it still can get you a ticket for 4th degree trespass, merely for being where you shouldn't have been. Typically about as serious as a ticket for jaywalking.
Closed Thread

Tags
dock