Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 11:34   #151

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're thinking like a man. She is a woman. It's just that simple.......................
It's not simple at all and yes, your post is sexist and presents men and women as stereotypes. Not all men think a certain way and neither do all women.

That out of the way, a female who seems to be afraid that men are creeps and out to do her bodily harm would do far better that to assume a screen name of "SassySailor". A female who wants to be treated with equality might use a non-gender specific name. "SSailor" would do the trick.

She (if this is actually a she) has presented a bizarre and unlikely situation where a mystery person adjusts the boat's docklines every few days for no reason. "She" assumes it's a male intent on stalking her. Several remedies have been suggested, a few realistic and practical, and several dangerous or illegal. "She" has brushed off the realistic and practical suggestions and has now disappeared from the thread and the forum.

Perhaps the boogey man got her.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:39   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's not simple at all and yes, your post is sexist and presents men and women as stereotypes. Not all men think a certain way and neither do all women.

That out of the way, a female who seems to be afraid that men are creeps and out to do her bodily harm would do far better that to assume a screen name of "SassySailor". A female who wants to be treated with equality might use a non-gender specific name. "SSailor" would do the trick.

She (if this is actually a she) has presented a bizarre and unlikely situation where a mystery person adjusts the boat's docklines every few days for no reason. "She" assumes it's a male intent on stalking her. Several remedies have been suggested, a few realistic and practical, and several dangerous or illegal. "She" has brushed off the realistic and practical suggestions and has now disappeared from the thread and the forum.

Now that you have outlined her behavior, show me the logical parts of it.

I rest my case.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:41   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Now that is a very sexist statement. Perhaps a "boogey person" is more appropriate?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:44   #154

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Your ignorance isn't becoming. It's spelled "sexism."

I recommend you educate yourself with more information about human biology, specifically the differences between the sexes. While my post may have partially been tongue in cheek, the factual foundation for the post is firmly grounded in history. Yes, there are some women who think logically, and there are some men who are emotional, but they are in the minority.

Go read a truck forum.

Now go read a relationship advice forum.

A very clear pattern will emerge, if you're not too busy slapping labels on people. I'm not the person responsible for this pattern of behavior, just well educated and observant enough to know that it's the truth.

Would you call Dave Barry a sexist, or acutely observant?
Give it a break on a typo. Your as much at fault as anyone calling a typo ignorance.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:08   #155
CLOD

Boat: none

Reading this thread goes fast if all you do after a while is skip to the to see if the OP has posted an update.

But I have to say that for some reason this thread is a magnetic
Old 10-02-2015, 12:10   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Give it a break on a typo. Your as much at fault as anyone calling a typo ignorance.
The typo was just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20   #157

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Reading this thread goes fast if all you do after a while is skip to the to see if the OP has posted an update.

But I have to say that for some reason this thread is a magnetic
EXACTLY what I did.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56   #158

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Your ignorance isn't becoming. It's spelled "sexism."

I recommend you educate yourself with more information about human biology, specifically the differences between the sexes. While my post may have partially been tongue in cheek, the factual foundation for the post is firmly grounded in history. Yes, there are some women who think logically, and there are some men who are emotional, but they are in the minority.

Go read a truck forum.

Now go read a relationship advice forum.

A very clear pattern will emerge, if you're not too busy slapping labels on people. I'm not the person responsible for this pattern of behavior, just well educated and observant enough to know that it's the truth.

Would you call Dave Barry a sexist, or acutely observant?
So, evidently you are a woman who gives an emotional over response to an observation? I especially like the conflation of biology and history as one thing in this supposedly logical, factual argument.

As for the Dave Barry example, the male was not being any more rational than the woman. He was being just as cryptic and non-communicative as she was. It is interesting that it is so frequently offered as an example of how irrational woman can be, rather than what it is: two irrational people who are not making any effort to actually communicate with each other.

I do indeed apologize for the typographical error in my earlier post. I generally try to be more thorough in my proofreading.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:12   #159

Quote:
The typo was just the tip of the iceberg.
I went back to the post. You are correct sorry for my snap judgment.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:15   #160

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
So, evidently you are a woman who gives an emotional over response to an observation? I especially like the conflation of biology and history as one thing in this supposedly logical, factual argument.

As for the Dave Barry example, the male was not being any more rational than the woman. He was being just as cryptic and non-communicative as she was. It is interesting that it is so frequently offered as an example of how irrational woman can be, rather than what it is: two irrational people who are not making any effort to actually communicate with each other.

I do indeed apologize for the typographical error in my earlier post. I generally try to be more thorough in my proofreading.
I think the Dave Barry scenario is meant to highlight a reality that the minds of the sexes take very different cognitive paths and traverse those paths at different RPMs. It never says or suggests which partner has the better or more rational psyche; merely that a breakdown in communication exists because their thought processes are different. And those differences are very much a function of biology. If it wasn't, hormone therapy would be considered a frivolous pastime for all those gender swappers out there. Acknowledging that biology plays an integral part in the hormonal and instinctual differences between men and women is not the same as making a claim that it matters in the abilities of a particular gender.

In the Army, women have separate (and lessor) physical fitness requirements than men. It does not mean that any given woman is not capable of scoring with or beyond the average male, but that biology suggests that most women are not.

I can stand in one spot and write my name on a fence while urinating. Now I'm not saying a woman couldn't do the same, but biology dictates that it would be monumentally more difficult.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:33   #161

Boat: Irwin sloop

This has evolved into a total waste of time.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:43   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
This has evolved into a total waste of time.
Amen!
Old 10-02-2015, 14:10   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post

That wasn't an emotional response, that was a simplistic reply aimed at the less educated, based on a reply that used knee-jerk labeling instead of an actual understanding of the differences between the sexes. We are controlled to a large extent by our biology, despite our efforts to control it or deny it.

I know this is an enlightened age, but watch this neuroscientist with a PhD explain to Leslie Stahl of 60 Minutes that pharmaceutical companies only used men or male animals in their research studies because females are controlled by their hormones. They wanted to study the effects of the drug, not clouded by hormonal changes. This led to all drugs being prescribed in the same dosage to men and women up until just recently. Ambien is now being prescribed in 1/2 the dose for women as men. They would have discovered this years ago if women had been used in drug testing. There is a fundamental difference in max. drug levels, how the drug is processed and how quickly it is metabolized in women vs men.

Watch this video for more info on it. For the part where the neuroscientist tells Leslie Stahl that only men were used in drug testing because they did not suffer from "pesky hormones" start at about 4:45. There are many more documentaries, especially from Discovery Channel, explaining how women are attracted vs how men are attracted, how our biological urges work, etc.

I hope this helps you understand that it isn't sexist to recognize the truth: men and women are fundamentally different in how they perceive, how they react, how they think. It explains why the OP did what she did: came on here to talk about it instead of talk directly to the person she suspects, a course of action suggested by the men on this board.
Old 10-02-2015, 14:23   #164

Hold on. I'm a neuroscientist. Male rats are used more commonly over female rats because they're simply easier to maintain in a colony. Female rats very typically fight each other, and bite the handlers much more frequently then male rats. Also, housing female rats for a study requires an entirely different room designed for animal husbandry solely for female animals. Housing both male and female rats in the same room results in both sexes going absolutely batshit crazy because they know there's a sexual partner nearby. That tends to skew behavioral data.....

What this has to do with docklines....I don't know? Who cares.
Old 10-02-2015, 15:23   #165

This thread has gone out into left field. Has become totally not relevant to the OP. Dock line to rats. Are these the rats leaving a sinking ship.
Closed Thread

Tags
dock