Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 08:40   #136

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Hey guys, remember this is a woman alone in a marina with nearly no one around. It's easy to understand that it can be frightening. And bad things do happen to women more often than we hear about. She is justified to be cautious.

S/V B'Shert
Old 10-02-2015, 08:54   #137

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

👍....Tayana42

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin ...😊

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
Old 10-02-2015, 09:03   #138

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
I'm sure this Thread is/was real but why would SassySailor wish to continue with all the bashing.
Why didn't she just fix the dock lines so they couldn't be messed with like several people suggested? Why didn't she think of that herself in the first place?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:06   #139

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I suspect she has made her dock line adjustments but that doesn't eliminate the insecure feelings of some suspicious person about the docks.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin ..😊

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why didn't she just fix the dock lines so they couldn't be messed with like several people suggested? Why didn't she think of that herself in the first place?
You're thinking like a man. She is a woman. It's just that simple.

Haven't you ever had your wife or GF come to you with some complaint and you listened for a little bit then tried to fix the problem, only to be told that you're not listening!! "I don't want you to fix the problem, I want you to liiiiiiiiiiisten to meeeeeeeeeee..."

No offense to the OP, we're just biologically different. None of us have any control over it. I've never stopped to ask for directions, especially in Compton or Hell's Kitchen, but now I have a smartphone with maps, so I don't need to.

I need to invent a smartphone app that a woman can talk to and it will make all of the appropriate responses. "Of course!" "You're absolutely right!" "I know exactly what you mean!" "Let's go shopping, then return it all tomorrow!"

I could save millions of marriages!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04   #141

Boat: In between boats

Here you go Sassy! Just hang this sign from your transom. It should get your message across without needing to confront anyone.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:10   #142

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

First post says, "early afternoon". " I could... easily take a photo. ". So why not just take a photo through a porthole, without being seen, and go from there, perhaps to the harbormaster?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23   #143

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're thinking like a man. She is a woman. It's just that simple.

Haven't you ever had your wife or GF come to you with some complaint and you listened for a little bit then tried to fix the problem, only to be told that you're not listening!! "I don't want you to fix the problem, I want you to liiiiiiiiiiisten to meeeeeeeeeee..."

No offense to the OP, we're just biologically different. None of us have any control over it. I've never stopped to ask for directions, especially in Compton or Hell's Kitchen, but now I have a smartphone with maps, so I don't need to.

I need to invent a smartphone app that a woman can talk to and it will make all of the appropriate responses. "Of course!" "You're absolutely right!" "I know exactly what you mean!" "Let's go shopping, then return it all tomorrow!"

I could save millions of marriages!!!
Can I get in on your initial stock option?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32   #144

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Well, thanks for the sexist posts to prove my point that she needs to learn to deal with immature sexim if she is going to be a solo boater.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42   #145
cruiser

Just in case this point has been missed on all the prior posts.... Isn't it part of the job of the dock hands in the employ of the marina to properly adjust the dock lines as they see fit in order to limit possible damage to boats? Whenever we've berthed our boat in a marina, in Southern California, Guernsey, Menorca, Mallorca etc. it's always been the policy of the marina to have staff adjust the dock lines as necessary... especially when the wind changes or picks up.

This entire discussion is ridiculous. Shouldn't the OP just go ask the marina staff or put out a sign? Geez. A lot of worry over nothing.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:49   #146

From Sail Mag:
"As a solo, 78-year-old great-grandmother preparing to singlehand my Challenger 32, Dharma, to the South Pacific, Asia and beyond, I knew I needed to think about some kind of protection onboard. Though I trusted the majority of my adventure would be safe, I had to be prepared for sailing in some pretty isolated areas, where “unauthorized boarding” was all too possible. The question was: what to bring?
The idea of having a gun onboard crossed my mind, but I knew it would cause too much trouble when clearing in and out of foreign ports. I also knew that pirates, if there were any, would probably be better armed than me anyway, and I certainly didn’t want to risk shooting the wrong people in the dark of night, so guns were out of the question.
I’d heard of other cruisers putting tacks on deck, sharp side up, which sounded like a clever idea, except for the fact that I enjoy walking on deck barefoot and didn’t want the idea to backfire. I thought about getting a big dog, both for protection and companionship, but again didn’t want to deal with the complications of clearing said dog in and out of foreign countries.

Finally, a light bulb went off. A medium-sized fire extinguisher could be my answer, but not just any fire extinguisher: one loaded with super hot cayenne pepper! Imagine some unsuspecting soul trying to sneak aboard, only to be met by a blast of cayenne pepper to the face! I think that would stop just about anyone.
The man at the fire extinguisher store was rather dubious about my idea. But the more I explained my situation, the more he warmed to it. For the pepper itself, I tried restaurant supply stores first, but ended up purchasing it online from San Francisco Herb Company (sfherb.com), which sells various strengths of cayenne pepper, all the way up to #90, which I’m pretty sure would be nuclear in strength. I was surprised by how affordable it was (1 pound for around $4.50). I had the fire extinguisher man fill me up and then, to prevent inadvertently using the extinguisher on a real fire, I covered the whole thing in black electrical tape.
So far, I haven’t had a reason to use my protection, and I’m grateful for that. But if the time comes, I’m going to have to remember to never discharge it upwind. "

Old 10-02-2015, 10:49   #147

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Maybe this is part of the War on Women?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:00   #148

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
From Sail Mag:
"As a solo, 78-year-old great-grandmother preparing to singlehand my Challenger 32, Dharma, to the South Pacific, Asia and beyond, I knew I needed to think about some kind of protection onboard. Though I trusted the majority of my adventure would be safe, I had to be prepared for sailing in some pretty isolated areas, where “unauthorized boarding” was all too possible. The question was: what to bring?
The idea of having a gun onboard crossed my mind, but I knew it would cause too much trouble when clearing in and out of foreign ports. I also knew that pirates, if there were any, would probably be better armed than me anyway, and I certainly didn’t want to risk shooting the wrong people in the dark of night, so guns were out of the question.
I’d heard of other cruisers putting tacks on deck, sharp side up, which sounded like a clever idea, except for the fact that I enjoy walking on deck barefoot and didn’t want the idea to backfire. I thought about getting a big dog, both for protection and companionship, but again didn’t want to deal with the complications of clearing said dog in and out of foreign countries.

Finally, a light bulb went off. A medium-sized fire extinguisher could be my answer, but not just any fire extinguisher: one loaded with super hot cayenne pepper! Imagine some unsuspecting soul trying to sneak aboard, only to be met by a blast of cayenne pepper to the face! I think that would stop just about anyone.
The man at the fire extinguisher store was rather dubious about my idea. But the more I explained my situation, the more he warmed to it. For the pepper itself, I tried restaurant supply stores first, but ended up purchasing it online from San Francisco Herb Company (sfherb.com), which sells various strengths of cayenne pepper, all the way up to #90, which I’m pretty sure would be nuclear in strength. I was surprised by how affordable it was (1 pound for around $4.50). I had the fire extinguisher man fill me up and then, to prevent inadvertently using the extinguisher on a real fire, I covered the whole thing in black electrical tape.
So far, I haven’t had a reason to use my protection, and I’m grateful for that. But if the time comes, I’m going to have to remember to never discharge it upwind. "
What a unique idea!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:20   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Well, thanks for the sexist posts to prove my point that she needs to learn to deal with immature sexim if she is going to be a solo boater.
Your ignorance isn't becoming. It's spelled "sexism."

I recommend you educate yourself with more information about human biology, specifically the differences between the sexes. While my post may have partially been tongue in cheek, the factual foundation for the post is firmly grounded in history. Yes, there are some women who think logically, and there are some men who are emotional, but they are in the minority.

Go read a truck forum.

Now go read a relationship advice forum.

A very clear pattern will emerge, if you're not too busy slapping labels on people. I'm not the person responsible for this pattern of behavior, just well educated and observant enough to know that it's the truth.

Would you call Dave Barry a sexist, or acutely observant?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:22   #150

Boat: Aries 32

Great plan! I'm sure people willing to preemptively inflict violence upon strangers would TOTALLY be dissuaded by small bits of pointy metal or a mild irritant.
Closed Thread

Tags
dock