Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 08:04   #31

Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Use the end with a bight on the dock and cleat off on your boat. You adjust the lines now from the deck cleat, not the dock cleat.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:05   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

We really need a sarcastic emoticon.

I do like sailor boys machine gun idea though. If you are going to do it ALWAYS over do it.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmattiola View Post
Thinking this through though....several concerns immediately arise. 1- We're talking about a substance that would have to administer it's toxicity via skin contact alone, not ingestion or injection. Off the top of my head: ricin, tetrodotoxin (TTX), maybe botulinum toxin, some intense millitary-grade neurotoxic gaseous agents (Agent Orange, or VX for example), mycotoxins (from small fungi), or maybe mercury. Obtaining these, while also illegal, would be extremely difficult...and you'd seriously be endangering yourself by handling them. 2- This bag of money would need to be easily identifiable as a "bag of money" and not just a bag of ???? - so therefore it'd either need a big "$" on the outside of it, or be clear. Assuming it is a clear bag - because it's not 1850 and people don't look for burlap sacks with dollar signs on them anymore - you will have the unfortunate issue of getting any substance to properly bond to the clear plastic surface. If it is a light mesh bag, then you are essentially soaking the money in the substance. Which brings up # 3- The money would essentially be sacrificed, and you'd never be able to touch it again. What a waste. 4- Being in an easily identifiable place on your boat would mean it's got to be hanging maybe near the companionway, or in the galley somewhere or salon...perhaps hanging from a handhold. Given that the "poison" can inflict it's toxicity on physical contact, you and your guests will have the displeasure of constantly avoiding contact with this easily identifiable toxic bag of money. Think about this typical situation: upwind, pounding away, trying to walk to the v-berth and banging into everything in the cabin, you brush by the toxic money bag. You die. 5- Inhalation. Assuming you can avoid touching the money bag, you still have the issue of inhalation to deal with. If you've "soaked" the bag with a potent substance in liquid form, it will still vaporize slightly, and even inhaling trace amounts will endanger you. If you've used a gas, say a highly concentrated form of permethrin (a neurotoxin used as a pesticide), there's an even larger risk of inhalation from vaporization. 6- Storage - If the bag falls to the ground inadvertently, you've just contaminated the floor and possibly bilge of your vessel. You will have to dispose of your shoes daily or neutralize the substance somehow. I can't think of any suggestions how...

In conclusion, given the immense personal risk you are undertaking with this endeavor, I find it highly unlikely that you have a poison soaked bag of money on your boat. If you do, be careful. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves, replace your clothes regularly, a hairnet is a good idea, goggles, and obviously a respirator too. I work in a research lab, if you want I can help you obtain these items. Best of luck.

Tangent complete.
---onto the original post: I'd be pretty confused if someone was only loosening my stern line too. My guess is you're rubbing the dock and squeaking pretty loudly...annoying somebody I suppose. Reminds me of the folks who walk onto others boats at night to tie their halyards away from the mast to stop the slapping. While definitely not a boat-savvy thing to do, I guess I can see where they're coming from.
Not only are there no live aboards near me, I'm the one living on the boat and there is absolutely no squeak age. None.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:17   #34

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I recommend one of these 3 options:
1) Get a webcam and set it up so you can see who's doing it, and you'll have proof. Get them tossed from the marina.
2) Get a motion detector water sprayer (used to repel animals safely). Hook it up to your hose and wait until you hear them get sprayed (be sure to disarm it when coming and going)
3) Do both, and submit the video here afterwards for a good laugh.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18   #35

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Have you asked the marina operators if they know anything about this?

When cruising and security is questionable (like at a city dock "downtown ") I run the line through the dock cleat and have both ends on the boat. Won't keep someone from cutting it but makes messing with it harder.

If someone were adjusting my boats lines because the squeaking was bothering them I would inform them that they didn't have the right to do that.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Have you asked the marina operators if they know anything about this?

When cruising and security is questionable (like at a city dock "downtown ") I run the line through the dock cleat and have both ends on the boat. Won't keep someone from cutting it but makes messing with it harder.

If someone were adjusting my boats lines because the squeaking was bothering them I would inform them that they didn't have the right to do that.
I wish there was a way to edit my original post as everyone thinks it's because my lines are causing fender squeakiness. There are no liveaboards near me and there is absolutely no squeaking. Someone is purposefully messing with my lines and the fact that they walk by not knowing I'm usually on my boat at that time of day makes me wonder if 1. Do I even know this person? 2. If I don't, why am I the target of their issues? Even if I do know them, I don't have a bad relationship with anyone here. It's just odd all around.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28   #37

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I'd definitely mention it to the harbourmaster or marina captain just in case. If it is one of his men then he'll explain why they are doing it and you can ask him to tell them not to or in the event it is some nutter he'll be aware of someone tampering and keep his eyes open. Plus he will have authority to deal with anyone tampering which you don't.

Slipping your lines through or round a dock cleat and leading back to your boat is a much better idea than tying off to the dock as you then control the ends. It's not impossible for someone to fiddle but it will make it much harder plus you might be able to charge them with trespass if they do enter your vessel without permission, again you'd need to speak to the harbourmaster or captain.

I think we'd all appreciate another sailor adjusting lines in the event of bad weather or to prevent damage for what ever reason but mindless tampering is a completely different kettle of frogs.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Maybe this is to simple but if you see some one go up and say hello can I help you. If it's someone just looking at boats let them know they should stay on the dock to look if it's not than inform take a hike and stay off the fingers of the docks. It's no different than what I would do if somebody kept walking up to my front door

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I agree this is probably the best line of defense, but I'm just nervous for a couple of reasons. If it's someone I know and see almost every day, I feel like I'd be catching them secretly having an issue with me. Everyone is nice to my face. I work on my boat often and never have loud parties or anything or leave trash on the dock. I feel I'm a considerate neighbor. If someone I know has an issue with me I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with that info. The second thing I worry about is it being someone I don't know. Then I'd wonder what it why the heck I'm a target for someone I've never seen. In any case, I'm probably thinking too far ahead and should just catch them in the act and tell them to skidaddle.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:36   #39

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Maybe you have multiple personality disorder and you mess with your own lines... ;-)

Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56   #40

Definitely tell the harbor master. They may know of of someone with 'problem' behaviors, and can fix it it immediately. They will be on the lookout with you, and as an authorized third party, can take measures you can't. A web cam gives you a view without having to confront anyone, and proof for the harbor master.

I've had the guards that patrol the dock readjust my lines to center the boat in the slip, as they were worried about my fenders leaving dirty marks on the hull. Thoughtful, but made it too far to easily step on and off.

Dave
Old 08-02-2015, 08:58   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
Before you all think I'm paranoid, I'll easily be able to get proof of this. I've been on board the boat several times in the early afternoon when I see a persons shadow crossing the setting sun beaming through my portholes. A persons shadow could only appear if someone was walking down the dock between my boat and my neighbors boat. My neighbor isn't a live aboard and is only here a couple of times a month.

I noticed the shadow three times last week, and whoever it was they went to the end of the dock and were there for a minute, then walked off. I've noticed my stern getting further and further away from the dock, and yes, it's 2:20 am and I've finally put two and two together. Someone is loosening the stern dock line. Why? I have no idea. I'm friendly with everyone here, as far as I know I have no enemies, but obviously someone doesn't like me a'workin' away on my boat so much.

I could easily wait till the shadow crosses the sun and step outside and take a photo. But my question is, is loosening someone's dock line illegal? I feel like this is silly marina drama to even mention to the harbormaster.
I'm confused, why not just go topsides and ask. It may be someone that sees a problem or think they do? What is with the cloak and dagger?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:03   #42

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hello, is usually a good way to start a conversation, from there you might inquire why they are adjusting your lines without your consent.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28   #43

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

While there is probably no law against meddling with your lines, there probably aren't any laws saying you can't rob a bank or kill a person ... but both are most certainly illegal.

Regardless, I'm sure there are laws that would apply to someone maliciously re-adjusting your lines.

Your best bet is to ask around, for I'm certain someone like this is telling others ... these kind want the benefit of others knowing.

The fact that this person is not knocking on your boat, tells me he/she is not doing this as his/her interpretation of a favor to you to more correctly adjust your lines to allow the stern(?) to travel away from the dock.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:51   #44
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Maybe you have multiple personality disorder and you mess with your own lines... ;-)

Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahaha
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I know who is loosening your dock lines. Its that sneaky mother nature. No matter how tight I tie the boat up, its always looser by the next day.
Closed Thread

Tags
dock