Thinking this through though....several concerns immediately arise. 1- We're talking about a substance that would have to administer it's toxicity via skin contact alone, not ingestion or injection. Off the top of my head
: ricin, tetrodotoxin (TTX), maybe botulinum toxin, some intense millitary-grade neurotoxic gaseous agents (Agent Orange, or VX for example), mycotoxins (from small fungi), or maybe mercury
. Obtaining these, while also illegal, would be extremely difficult...and you'd seriously be endangering yourself by handling them. 2- This bag of money would need to be easily identifiable as a "bag of money" and not just a bag of ???? - so therefore it'd either need a big "$" on the outside of it, or be clear. Assuming it is a clear bag - because it's not 1850 and people don't look for burlap sacks with dollar signs on them anymore - you will have the unfortunate issue of getting any substance to properly bond to the clear plastic surface. If it is a light mesh bag, then you are essentially soaking the money in the substance. Which brings up # 3- The money would essentially be sacrificed, and you'd never be able to touch it again. What a waste. 4- Being in an easily identifiable place on your boat would mean it's got to be hanging maybe near the companionway
, or in the galley
somewhere or salon
...perhaps hanging from a handhold. Given that the "poison" can inflict it's toxicity on physical contact, you and your guests will have the displeasure of constantly avoiding contact with this easily identifiable toxic bag of money. Think about this typical situation: upwind, pounding away, trying to walk to the v-berth and banging into everything in the cabin
, you brush by the toxic money bag. You die. 5- Inhalation. Assuming you can avoid touching the money bag, you still have the issue of inhalation to deal with. If you've "soaked" the bag with a potent substance in liquid form, it will still vaporize slightly, and even inhaling trace amounts will endanger you. If you've used a gas, say a highly concentrated form of permethrin (a neurotoxin used as a pesticide), there's an even larger risk of inhalation from vaporization. 6- Storage
- If the bag falls to the ground inadvertently, you've just contaminated the floor and possibly bilge
of your vessel. You will have to dispose of your shoes daily or neutralize the substance somehow. I can't think of any suggestions how...
In conclusion, given the immense personal risk you are undertaking with this endeavor, I find it highly unlikely that you have a poison soaked bag of money on your boat. If you do, be careful. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves, replace your clothes regularly, a hairnet is a good idea, goggles, and obviously a respirator too. I work in a research
lab, if you want I can help you obtain these items. Best of luck.
---onto the original post: I'd be pretty confused if someone was only loosening my stern line too. My guess is you're rubbing the dock and squeaking pretty loudly...annoying somebody I suppose. Reminds me of the folks who walk onto others boats at night to tie their halyards away from the mast
to stop the slapping. While definitely not a boat-savvy thing to do, I guess I can see where they're coming from.