Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 19:29   #196

Boat: Catalina 385
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

I STILL think it was a cat person.....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 19:37   #197

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're absolutely right, there were, and still are gender biases, but it starts with the parents and their choice of toys and how they raise their kids.

I'm not perpetuating anything. I'm just stating facts, based on 30 yrs in my field. If we had some qualified female applicants who passed the test, I'd be more than happy to talk about that. But it didn't happen.

Since you don't know me at all, I'd recommend you stop making accusations based on your opinions and just stick to facts you can prove.

I'll take your word that you have a number of qualified female EEs/ETs. You're just going to have to take my word that we never had one that was qualified to our standards. I'm not saying they don't exist, but we never found one. I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sure, you can go around and tell every kid that he or she can be an astronaut. But the truth is, 99% of them will never be an astronaut. I told my kids they could be anything that they had an aptitude for. They were way too smart to fall for that "you can be anything you can dream" BS.

Back to the topic, why do you keep loosening her dockline?

(I figured since you were making accusations that couldn't be further from the truth, I'd join in on the fun.) LOL
"Sure, you can go around and tell every kid that he or she can be an astronaut". Really? That's on par with telling someone without a Y chromosome that they can be an engineer? Wow.

I think my "accusations" were pretty well founded: you continue to make sexist generalizations that the modern world has let go of due to overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've just been really, really unlucky with the quality of people you've been exposed to. Sorry man, I hope that changes for you.

Anyways, I didn't mean to start a flame war. I seriously just want to know what happened with the OP!!! This thread hooked me like a Hardy Boys novel. Oh wait there are women here. This thread hooked me like a Nancy Drew novel.

Old 11-02-2015, 23:51   #198

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

....you mean Conan Doyle vs. Paretsky?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:09   #199

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Unless we're involved in actual scientific research, we all speak from our personal experience. I think I've been lucky enough to know and work with brilliant, logical women, including an astronaut or two and many engineers and scientists. When it comes to native aptitude, women have an advantage; the differences in life direction are mostly cultural.

Throughout the history of science, women have had to overcome daunting societal prohibitions and still have made major accomplishments.

Here's a story that shows that women are better than men at investing: Who's the better investor: Men or women? - CBS News

I've no interest in spending time with bigots, bozos, or bubble-heads of either sex, so maybe I just tend to surround myself with smart, rational people and that's my experience.

Not that it's really germane to this discussion, but I had a female Korean karate teacher who used to kick my ass on a regular basis. I don't know how logical she was since we spoke different languages, but damn she was fast...

Fair winds,
Leo
Old 12-02-2015, 04:57   #200
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
I've got two! But they're 12 and 25 lbs of white fluff. The 12 lb'er though.. you don't want to mess with her Maybe I should just make sure she's always in the cockpit at the time of day said creeper likes to come by.
as far as I can see you are neglecting your biggest asset.

get those dogs trained!

great thing about rottweilers and Dobermans is they are easily trained to hold an intruder until you return.

then either give the command to let go or rip the the offender to pieces......
Old 12-02-2015, 05:06   #201
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
Not that it's really germane to this discussion, but I had a female Korean karate teacher who used to kick my ass on a regular basis.
Fair winds,
Leo
I think she may have been related to an ex girlfriend of mine....
Old 12-02-2015, 05:29   #202

No need for a gun. Get a cup of gas in one hand and a lighter in the other. If he gets nasty being soaked in gas while you have a lighter he will be nice and compliant. Begging even

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46   #203
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
No need for a gun. Get a cup of gas in one hand and a lighter in the other. If he gets nasty being soaked in gas while you have a lighter he will be nice and compliant. Begging even

Your suggestion is quite sick.... Are you by chance an ISIS (Islamic State) member?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:07   #204
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

I can only hope this is a joke but even if that is the case not funny at all.

You know of course that a response like this would most likely end in the arrest of the person carrying the gas if not worse. Plus one little slip and could result in self immolation or burning down the dock.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32   #205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
....you mean Conan Doyle vs. Paretsky?
Sherlock vs Vicky.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39   #206

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

It is suggestions like this that limit the usefulness of this forum. A person who doesn't know better is left to wonder if this is a good idea or not.

It is not, of course and your post adds nothing to the discussion. Sometimes, if you have nothing to say, it's best to remain silent.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36   #207

Boat: Catalina 385

Man...this got serious!!! Maybe thats whats wrong with this world.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-02-2015, 14:02   #208

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It is suggestions like this that limit the usefulness of this forum. A person who doesn't know better is left to wonder if this is a good idea or not.

It is not, of course and your post adds nothing to the discussion. Sometimes, if you have nothing to say, it's best to remain silent.
Before throwing a cup full of gasoline with a lighter in your other hand ready to light it off, it's important to first shout, "WATCH THIS..." It was one of those suggestions that if you aren't smart enough to realize it's an astoundingly stupid idea, then something else you did probably would have killed you by now anyway.
Old 12-02-2015, 14:13   #209

Boat: Tayana 47

All this "discussion" about who's the worst sexist and whether women and men have different characteristics/traits other than the obvious ones has been tons of fun, but I can't help but wonder if Sassy has gotten around to sauntering over to her neighbors boat and asking why he/she keeps readjusting her dock lines and asked him/her to stop doing it. She could probably have done that and solved this mystery in the amount of time it took to make her original post, but then, look how much entertainment we all would have missed out on?!
Old 12-02-2015, 14:46   #210

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
All this "discussion" about who's the worst sexist and whether women and men have different characteristics/traits other than the obvious ones has been tons of fun, but I can't help but wonder if Sassy has gotten around to sauntering over to her neighbors boat and asking why he/she keeps readjusting her dock lines and asked him/her to stop doing it. She could probably have done that and solved this mystery in the amount of time it took to make her original post, but then, look how much entertainment we all would have missed out on?!
Closed Thread

Tags
dock