Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 00:04   #181

Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Did I really just read through 12 pages to find out someone ripped out the last page of the comic book and no I'll never know the ending?
...ROFL!

I'll second that - Update please SS?

Old 11-02-2015, 05:17   #182

What is status Sassy?

Here is my take because I believe you when you say your lines are correctly adjusted -

You are being cased by a thief. They come down your dock to check you out under the pretense that they are helping adjust your lines. They hear your dogs or you and then leave.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Fear of living alone on a boat = Not related to dock lines - If a particular dockwalker decided to "walk the docks" at the same time everyday casting a shadow on Sassy's porthole would she also not have cause for alarm?

Adjusting docklines = messing with someone else's boat - Generally frowned upon. Talk to the marina, make your docklines out of lockable cable etc. Do not booby trap your boat.

Dave Barry and the difference between men and women = If you have not figured out that men and women are "different" may I introduce you to the real reason the internet exists...

Old 11-02-2015, 10:52   #184

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Your ignorance isn't becoming. It's spelled "sexism."

I recommend you educate yourself with more information about human biology, specifically the differences between the sexes. While my post may have partially been tongue in cheek, the factual foundation for the post is firmly grounded in history. Yes, there are some women who think logically, and there are some men who are emotional, but they are in the minority.

Go read a truck forum.

Now go read a relationship advice forum.

A very clear pattern will emerge, if you're not too busy slapping labels on people. I'm not the person responsible for this pattern of behavior, just well educated and observant enough to know that it's the truth.

Would you call Dave Barry a sexist, or acutely observant?
While your data is correct, to assume that a solo woman sailer would be a "typical women" shows you're a "typical" man. As a female, an engineer and a biker I have to say there are more like me everyday. I woman who sails single handed should be a logical thinker and leave emotions behind if she wants to survive. Nancies need not apply to be singlehanders- no matter the gender.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20   #185

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The year I was born has no bearing on it. You cannot, and I would never - discriminate based on sex, but if one cannot find any qualified members of that sex, that's not discrimination. Since you went there...

In the 30 yrs I've been an ET and the 2 defense contractors I've worked at, all of the EEs or ex-Navy ETs were male. All of the support staff were female. We would have LOVED to have hired female EEs or ETs working with us, but we never had any qualified applicants. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're about as common as men who have given birth.

Sorry for the drift, that's as far as I'm going to take it. The facts are the facts, I'm merely cognizant of them. Why did this come up? Because several male members asked/suggested why the OP didn't talk to the suspect who was adjusting her dock line. The answer is because that's a male way of looking at the problem, her initial thought was to go on the internet and ask all of us. I'm just acknowledging the difference in thought process.
This is pretty hilarious.

I work with quite a few female EEs, and quite a few male EE's, and I see no difference between the two of them in their ability to perform in that role.

The reason there have been less women in roles like that, historically, has much more to do with gender biases (held by folks like yourself) than their ability to perform in that role. Its a vicious cycle you seem hell bent on perpetuating: From birth, women are steered away from historically "manly" things like engineering, and guess what the result is? Less women in engineering. Then regressive folks come along and preach loudly about how engineering is male dominated, therefore women must be no good at it, therefore women should stay away. And on and on and on...

So you may claim you're simply "cognizant" of the "facts", but I strongly disagree. I think you looked upon the field of EEs and ETs and drew a very simple and short-sighted conclusion from it rather than recognizing the breadth and nuance of the issue.

I'm not saying there aren't differences between men and women, and I'm not saying we should ignore them. Quite the contrary, they should be celebrated. But this kind of drivel, your "conclusion" about women's qualifications for EE/ET work being as rare as "men giving birth", is thankfully being pushed into the lunatic fringe by more progressive minded generations. In general, WOMEN aren't the cause for less women in male-dominated roles, YOU are.

So, be part of the solution, stop perpetuating inaccurate and harmful stereotypes.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:50   #186

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

One might look at when we are speaking of? 55 years ago boys didn't take typing and girls didn't take shop. 30 to 40 years ago I could get to hire a women if I didn't need an ET but would have to overlook a highly qualified male if I did.

I believe I have read there are more female students today than males in technical educational fields.

Now what this has to do with dock lines baffles the **** out of me.
Old 11-02-2015, 13:10   #187
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

30 years ago my wife was a Navy nuclear qualified EM, so much for the BS sextist comments, but this is all just

Old 11-02-2015, 13:30   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Island Time-
We're not all in Cali. Back in the east, trespass would include fourth degree trespass and trespass "on the case", and actual harm is not required. Remember that Cali, like Florida and Louisiana, is one the odd [sic] states that does not share the English common law heritage that most of America has.
You walk onto my unfenced, unmarked, unposted front lawn? You tread very lightly and there's no harm? Nice, but IIRC it still can get you a ticket for 4th degree trespass, merely for being where you shouldn't have been. Typically about as serious as a ticket for jaywalking.
First of all trespass requires intent. Unless your property lines/chattels are clearly marked and/or you have signs posted to the effect of "no trespassing" etc. you would have to prove that the person intended to trespass upon your land or goods, not merely stumbled upon them inadvertantly.

Now you may be right that in most cases it would be easy to infer intent to trespass just from the circumstances of the intrusion but in the case of the dock lines adjuster I'm not so sure. He may claim to follow an old dockside custom of "looking after each other's lines to prevent any damage to boats/docks and/or injury to persons, etc.". In which case OP, by accepting her dock space at the marina which follows such customs, had given her implicit consent for her dock lines to be adjusted in certain situations and under certain conditions.

BTW I'm not on the West Coast and also not sure how that would change the definition of trespass as only one state, Louisiana, follows Napoleonic code in these matters and it's not on the West coast as well.
Old 11-02-2015, 13:41   #189

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The whole thing has become BS. I've made more friends wandering the docks, mostly with a beer in my hand or being offered one. Glad I wasn't charge with trespass.
Old 11-02-2015, 13:53   #190

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd like to thank Chris95040 and Sailorboy1 for their comments about women engineers.

In the beginning of this thread, SS received several constructive suggestions, and she was saying "thank you," so I think she took them on board.

She also did not like the bashing.

I think she has considered all the constructive feedback, tossed out what seemed to denigrate her ("grow a pair"--good grief! ) and probably re-done her lines. She may be planning a confrontation, quiet chat with the harbor master, or a trap, but decided it was more discreet and perhaps more comfortable to quit writing about it here.

A.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:01   #191

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
If you have to attempt to put words in someones mouth that they didn't say so you can then point out how stupid those words (and that person by association) are, then maybe you need to think a bit more before engaging keyboard............
I did not put words in anyone's mouth and I thought about what I was about to post "before engaging keyboard".

Fortunately, there are several members of this forum who do not live in caves and are able to engage in more progressive thinking. I suggest you pay attention to them.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:10   #192
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'd like to thank Chris95040 and Sailorboy1 for their comments about women engineers.

In the beginning of this thread, SS received several constructive suggestions, and she was saying "thank you," so I think she took them on board.

She also did not like the bashing.

I think she has considered all the constructive feedback, tossed out what seemed to denigrate her ("grow a pair"--good grief! ) and probably re-done her lines. She may be planning a confrontation, quiet chat with the harbor master, or a trap, but decided it was more discreet and perhaps more comfortable to quit writing about it here.

A.
+1
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-02-2015, 16:16   #193
Keb

++33

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 18:12   #194

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Feels like the sun is setting on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Sunset.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	96988  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-02-2015, 18:38   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
This is pretty hilarious.

I work with quite a few female EEs, and quite a few male EE's, and I see no difference between the two of them in their ability to perform in that role.

The reason there have been less women in roles like that, historically, has much more to do with gender biases (held by folks like yourself) than their ability to perform in that role. Its a vicious cycle you seem hell bent on perpetuating: From birth, women are steered away from historically "manly" things like engineering, and guess what the result is? Less women in engineering. Then regressive folks come along and preach loudly about how engineering is male dominated, therefore women must be no good at it, therefore women should stay away. And on and on and on...

So you may claim you're simply "cognizant" of the "facts", but I strongly disagree. I think you looked upon the field of EEs and ETs and drew a very simple and short-sighted conclusion from it rather than recognizing the breadth and nuance of the issue.

I'm not saying there aren't differences between men and women, and I'm not saying we should ignore them. Quite the contrary, they should be celebrated. But this kind of drivel, your "conclusion" about women's qualifications for EE/ET work being as rare as "men giving birth", is thankfully being pushed into the lunatic fringe by more progressive minded generations. In general, WOMEN aren't the cause for less women in male-dominated roles, YOU are.

So, be part of the solution, stop perpetuating inaccurate and harmful stereotypes.
You're absolutely right, there were, and still are gender biases, but it starts with the parents and their choice of toys and how they raise their kids.

I'm not perpetuating anything. I'm just stating facts, based on 30 yrs in my field. If we had some qualified female applicants who passed the test, I'd be more than happy to talk about that. But it didn't happen.

Since you don't know me at all, I'd recommend you stop making accusations based on your opinions and just stick to facts you can prove.

I'll take your word that you have a number of qualified female EEs/ETs. You're just going to have to take my word that we never had one that was qualified to our standards. I'm not saying they don't exist, but we never found one. I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sure, you can go around and tell every kid that he or she can be an astronaut. But the truth is, 99% of them will never be an astronaut. I told my kids they could be anything that they had an aptitude for. They were way too smart to fall for that "you can be anything you can dream" BS.

Back to the topic, why do you keep loosening her dockline?

(I figured since you were making accusations that couldn't be further from the truth, I'd join in on the fun.) LOL
Closed Thread

Tags
dock