Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-07-2014, 06:42   #16

Re: Some Advice Wanted for Corpus Christi, Texas

I was going to suggest corpus Christi naval air station for a cheap place to stay while looking in the area. That 56 Nautical Development there would be a great live aboard and would take you any place in the world you would want to go. I've never seen it but if it has been well cared for they can be great boats at a good price.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:25   #17

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

I saw a couple of for sale signs on what appeared to be nice boats in the Rockport City Marina and in Port Aransas as well. so Maybe walking the docks is good.

A cheap place to stay in Rockport is the Rod and Reel Motel, the Pelican Reef is across the street, its cheaper, has noisy air conditioners.

My favorite place in Aransas Pass is the Pelican Inn.

I'm pretty sure these will be less expensive than Corpus or Port Aransas.

There's a Motel 6 on the freeway in Clear Lake that will probably be the least expensive place to stay near Kemah.

If you have pets, La Quinta in Texas city or Galveston is the best.

Frimi Captain
Tom Bodine
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 11:57   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

There is a Navy Lodge at NAS Corpus that is comfortable for short term accommodations. Anything longer term you might need to look at a rental or an extended stay place. Corpus and Houston/Galveston are going to be your two best bets. You may consider getting a broker to help you pull some listings together before you come down so you have an agenda already. I can pass on a reference for a couple of them in the Kemah area that I have dealt with in the past, with good results, if you need. Just shoot me a private message here on
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 21:30   #19

Boat: 1981 Sabre 28 mkII

After an unwanted leave of absence my plans have changed quite a bit. I will now be single handing a boat (since my son decided robbing me one day while I was at the VA because his girl wanted to go to Vegas instead) poetic justice is that as soon as the money they stole ran out as well as the items they stole and pawned... she left him for a guy she met, he recently called me asking for money. No way.

It was said that I was lucky for that to happen now as opposed to standing on some random dock watching my sails going away

Anyhow my plans now are to head to south east Texas (taking a hop from Hill AFB) and walking the docks with cash in hand. Going by myself I don't need the kind of boat that they wanted, just something to cruise on. Project boats are fine and I've found a few on Craigslist. I'm not fixed on that area, anywhere on the gulf coast will work just to get a boat. I more than likely will be calling Kessler AFB marina home in Biloxi, Mississippi. Being that there is a VA hospital right outside the gate and its about $120 a month to dock or $5 a night. (I just have to stop at any VA hospital once a year to keep my benefits)

So the long and short is that after court (next week) I'll be on my way by the beginning of November. If anyone hears of such a boat or any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

"happier going alone with a smaller boat"

Gator Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Brian - That sounds like a totally suckie story.

As a casual observer all I can say is that he is still your son. He may need you now more than ever...

Although his life lessons at your expense is totally wrong, maybe he can pay you back with forced labor on a project boat...
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:07   #21

Good luck Brian!

If I was ever to leave Virginia Beach, it would be for the Corpus Christi area. I fell in love with that entire place.... (Aransas Pass, Ingleside, and Rockport.

Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

wanted, texas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: