Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-01-2011, 21:15   #46

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
Sleeping in the cockpit always worked for me! I had a boat with a great cockpit and the cockpit grate was built to rest on battens that leveled it with the rest of the cockpit. Basically at anchor the cockpit became a pit and sleep in the pit was the best!

Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 21:54   #47

I have a 9,000btu reverse cycle panasonic air conditioner which has an inverter motor, low amp start.
In a small insulated cabin I run it after dark to dehumidify the cabin with a slight cooling effect (temp setting is 24 celsius) half an hour before going to bed.
I use a Kipor generator for power, with 1 liter of fuel, once the fuel runs out, that it.
We have a cold shower, a gut full of vodka and sleep well.
At least it gets the cabin cool and dry, and by that time the temperature has started to drop anyway.

Solar powered, you must be kidding??

By the way I like the fleece idea, but how do you wash the fleece?

beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 19:58   #48

Re: Solar-Powered Air Conditioning ?

Best way I have found to stay cool is with the use of 12-v fans and keeping my clothes off. A quick mist of water always helps, but lying under a fan at night, without the ability to run an A/C unit, is paramount.
windhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:17   #49

Boat: Modified Roberts 36' (stretched to 39')

I have mounted an 18" auto radiator fan on a swing down plywood hatch using cupboard bolts over the V berth where I sleep.

It created no end of problems.

The first problem was that it blew a gale when I ran it from 12V and at night it was sometimes too cold.

So I then ran it from 6V by using 1/2 a bank of 12V T105s - still blew a gale, was noisy and often still too cold.

So I then rewired it to 12V and installed a speed controller - stopped blowing a gale, and can be wound back to prevent being too cold at night but now the switching system in the speed controller makes the motor ring - there's no ultimate solutions in this yachting business.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:53   #50

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 35' and 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 30'

Solar powered aircon is called "wind." If you need a machine to keep cool, buy a condo.
__________________ - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:45   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

It's not practical to run an air conditioner on a boat from batteries or solar cells. Have you ever seen a boat from a factory set up to do this? The answer is "no" and the reason is, it's not practical.

Start by opening anything that lets air into the boat. Sleep naked.

If it's so hot you can't stand it, pull into a marina for the night and run your AC off shore power. You'll pay for a lot of marina nights with the money you save on batteries and solar panels. And, you can take a nice shower with unlimited water.
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:51   #52

Perhaps I'm more of an optimist than many here, but I think solar powered AC is very realistic, if not now, in the not-so-distant future. There are several things you have to consider:

1. Size/Space of the system

2. Efficiency of the solar cells

3. Efficiency of the air conditioner

The first problem is quickly being overcome by thin cell photovoltaics and advances in battery technology. Check out this link:

Interesting Sailboats: SOLAR PANELS ON SAILS

It looks like a barge may not be necessary after all. Granted, thin cell solar panels on sails won't be as efficient as standard solar cells, but this is made up for in usable area. Supplementing this with standard solar cells (14.25 W/ft) could leave you with a lot of power. A 14,000 btu AC might run at say 1500 W, so with a 12 hour day, you're looking upwards of about 200 ft of cell area to power an AC this large. And keep in mind, this is using PV cells rated at 15.3% efficiency. When you consider that scientists have created solar cells with greater than 40% efficiency, you can begin to see that solar powered AC could be realistic. Also consider the efficiency gains in ACs in recent years and the things you can do to better insulate your cabin. Solar can be just one part of your energy solution. It is realistic. Someone just needs to have the money, knowhow, time, and energy to do it.
ForTozs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15   #53

2.2 kW/h for this guy.

Alone Around Powered by UK — UK Sailmakers

ForTozs is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: